It begins with 1

By David Knox on January 26, 2008 / Filed Under News 25

First peek at the new look ABC, clearly branding itself as ABC1 after 75 years.

Following a BBC model, the network will seek to be perceived as a multi-channel broadcaster, offering ABC1, ABC2 and, possibly, ABC3 -subject to the decisions of the new Rudd Government.

Thankfully the logo stays as is. It could have been disastrous meddling with such a recognised logo, especially one associated with a number of media platforms.

Thanks to a reader for forwarding these grabs!

What do you think of the new ABC1?

1. Anonymous February 2, 2008 at 1:39 pm -

About time they steped into the future, but, will they remodel the abc2 logo to match abc1 and 3?

2. Anonymous January 30, 2008 at 1:15 am -

While I agree the current logo is well recognised, this easy recognition is largely derived just from being the ABC’s logo for such a long time, rather than being an actually good logo. I’ve personally disliked the logo since childhood, and have longed for the ABC to drop the squiggly lines.

If the ABC1 logo is real, then they’ve done a good job. It’s simple but distinctive, and easy on the eyes.

Nothing wrong with the enlarged 1, I think it’s required to distinguish it from the “ABC” portion, which it does quite well.

(Apologies if my praise of the new logo makes me sound like a member of the ABC’s marketing division.)

3. Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 10:34 pm -

I love it, It looks awesome,

Will ABC ever be able to play shows e.g Simpsons or Lost.

Like they should put shows Fox Classics or sumthing on it lol.

4. Anonymous January 29, 2008 at 4:46 pm -

what about this

Copy the link into the Address bar to see it

5. Adam January 27, 2008 at 3:01 pm -

I can’t wait to see where this takes us. Rebranding ABC-TV to ABC1 would make a lot of sense… I never felt ABC-TV and ABC2 sat well together from a branding perspective.

6. Anonymous January 27, 2008 at 1:41 pm -

No, Sillygostly, the “ABC1″ is used in the conjunction with the ABC logo. What you’re failing to realise is that ABC TV (or as it will be renamed ABC1) is only just a small part of the ABC (who will retain their logo)

7. Sillygostly January 27, 2008 at 11:18 am -

Yuck. THAT’S the new logo? :| It’s so ugly and plain. The original ABC logo is iconic. They’d be downright STUPID to ditch it.

8. Anonymous January 26, 2008 at 8:17 pm -

Actually, right now, TEN HD has the best HD watermark on Australian free to air.

9. Anonymous January 26, 2008 at 7:16 pm -

I think it looks good, it could have turned out much worse. Wikipedia has a high resolution version of the new logo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ABC1.svg

10. J Bar January 26, 2008 at 7:09 pm -

I’m glad they didn’t get rid of the logo. If we get ‘ABC 1′ added to the watermark, then they have to reduce the size of the current logo and the size of the ’1′.

11. Barriet January 26, 2008 at 6:24 pm -

I agree the font is bland and the 1 is too big. It would be better if the ABC1 was the same size and font. Perhaps they will put the squiggle logo and the 1 next to it instead of ABC.

12. Anonymous January 26, 2008 at 6:17 pm -

I don’t understand… why is this a big such a big deal??

13. Neerav Bhatt January 26, 2008 at 6:02 pm -

I think its pretty poor.

I would prefer them to use something like:

LOGO1
    LOGO2
    LOGO3

etc

14. Sillygostly January 26, 2008 at 5:05 pm -

I doubt that the ABC would be stupid enough to plaster two watermarks across their network. Hell, I don’t think TV stations in this country should have watermarks of any kind (since there are so few of them. I mean how the hell can you possibly be confused between 5 TV stations? :|)

Only cable networks in this country need watermarks, and with today’s modern set-top boxes telling us which channel we’re watching beforehand, do we REALLY need these superfluous (and distracting) watermarks?

I was happy with TEN for sticking to their guns and not displaying a watermark for many, many years, but I was SEVERLY disappointed in them when they eventually did. They’ve quickly become the worst offenders in distracting watermarks (Ten HD anyone?)

15. Neon Kitten January 26, 2008 at 4:55 pm -

If either of those are used as watermarks, it’ll be a disaster. If BOTH are used, I’ll have to get my download limit increased again.

16. bertrand January 26, 2008 at 4:31 pm -

Happy they haven’t changed the logo, but I think the ’1′ should be smaller. Or even better, replace it with the word ‘one’.

Secondly, this may have been discussed before, but anyone else think that instead of creating a new ABC3, they should revive ABC Kids? I know the only difference is the name (and watermark), but surely we’ll get another normal ABC channel sometime in the future that they’ll want to call ABC3 (or maybe, we’ll get ABC HD, but I highly doubt that)

17. Matthew January 26, 2008 at 4:01 pm -

“It begins with 1″?

What begins with 1? What’s “it”? Who came up with this?

18. Anonymous January 26, 2008 at 2:35 pm -

Do we know when the change is?

19. Lazer January 26, 2008 at 1:18 pm -

These pics were for a promo for the 7:30 Report with Kerrie O’Brian there distributing the new and old promo’s to stations nationwide thru satellite so not really sure when these new promo’s will start as there sending both old and new out with same date stamps to be transmitted on the actual ABC channel…

20. Anonymous January 26, 2008 at 1:16 pm -

it looks bland (that is, the font looks bland). They really should have gone with ‘ONE’, rather than ’1′

There will be many complaints if they have 2 watermarks at the same time….not good…particularly if the ‘ABC1′ one stays where it currently is…too high up – if they must have 2 watermarks they should put one in the top corner

21. stevie g January 26, 2008 at 1:02 pm -

Yes, i agree with previous post. The one is too big…stands out like dogs balls.

22. TelevisionAU January 26, 2008 at 1:00 pm -

hard to judge based on 2 photos but not really liking the “1″, they might have been better to go “ONE”

But will wait to see the final product

23. Anonymous January 26, 2008 at 12:16 pm -

Anyone else think the 1 looks too big and out of space?

24. Anonymous January 26, 2008 at 12:02 pm -

ABC have done the right thing by Not removeing their highly recognised logo.

New look :looks ok

25. Stan January 26, 2008 at 11:25 am -

It all depends on whether or not both are going to be displayed on the screen at the same time. If yes, that would be terrible waste of viewing space. From that screen grab it’s hard to tell. We’ll just have to wait and see.