Nine switches Fringe episodes

By David Knox on December 3, 2008 / Filed Under Programming 27

Update: Ep 7 now confirmed for December 22.

Disappointing to see Channel Nine meddling with the order of Fringe episodes.

Nine aired #6 this week with #8 to air next week and #9 the week after (December 15).

Episode #7 “In Which We Meet Mr. Jones” (pictured) remains unscheduled.

The series has already been knocked around by Nine, dropped off air after a few weeks of screening.

Is it any wonder fans view this kind of treatment with scepticism?

Kindly link to this site when sourcing or posting in messageboards, thanks!

1. Circuit December 5, 2008 at 10:22 am -

Wow didn’t even notice that, oh hang on that’s because I got them from “channel BT”
    Once Nine decided to remove it I have been happily downloading and watching,
    Who cares about Channel 9.

2. avoidz December 4, 2008 at 9:43 pm -

Who cares any more??? Downloads! (or DVDs)

3. Kat December 4, 2008 at 5:52 pm -

well done channel nine; keep screwing us over. its the only thing you’re good at because you suck at programming :S

4. Grinspoon December 4, 2008 at 12:33 pm -

Channel 9′s always bad with sci-fi. Like they used to edit out bits of star trek episodes for no reason. Well i suspect the reason was to make them shorter to catch up on the running late programming they always tend to be.

5. David Knox December 4, 2008 at 11:12 am -

As indicated on Advance Guide page there are always amendments. This post has the latest info as of today re Fringe.

6. bindi December 4, 2008 at 11:06 am -

i’ve just been going through the advanced guides and it has “in which we meet mr jones” listed for the 15th of december, which would be 9 just switching around 7 and 8, but you say they are showing episode 9 on the 15th david… does this mean they made an amendment to the advanced guide in which they decided to skip episode 7 and show 9 instead?

7. Benno December 4, 2008 at 10:44 am -

With the US airings, i think it has more to do with which episodes are finished first, as editing can take some time. This obviously wouldn’t happen with serial shows, but with cartoons and such, it wouldn’t matter too much. But international stations should obviously air them in the order the US does. Does anyone remember the confusion of when 7 aired my name is earl severely out of order? They made references to episodes that hadn’t aired here yet. FYI, Fringe was aired in its production order overseas.

8. Tim December 4, 2008 at 10:38 am -

Makes me glad i gave up on fringe on ch9 anyway, they just will not learn, they screwed fringe before, and they are screwing it again, looking forward to watching ep 10 in the next few days.

9. Scooter December 4, 2008 at 10:30 am -

This may be the way it’s sometimes done in the US but it doesn’t explain why? What could possibly be the point of producing an series of episodes in a certain order, and then airing them in a different order?

10. Russell December 4, 2008 at 3:07 am -

US networks often switch the order of episodes too!
    THere are many reasons this happened.
    The order in which a US studio produces the epispdes and numbers them is not always the way US networks air them.
    Perhaps Nine is mirroring how Fox aired them?
    Perhaps there is a reason Nine is doing this.
    As I said – it happens in the US too

11. Giveitakick December 4, 2008 at 1:05 am -

I too cannot believe that they are jumping a show. Episode 7 is important in an arc that starts from this one. I know someone already mentioned that, but wanted to show how important it is to miss episode 7 further down the track. Of all the upcoming eps, they had to miss this one.

Obviously nine doesn’t care. That’s their track record though, so I am not surprised.

This show is slowly growing on me and ep 10, which they just showed in the states is suppose to be the best yet. So, it continues to get better and better.

12. John December 4, 2008 at 12:27 am -

This is crazy. Why would they do this? I hope they put it back in the correct order!

13. Andy December 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm -

On the topic of continuity, but not of Fringe:

Tonight’s first non-ratings season episode of House on ten was a repeat, not surprisingly, but they started off the repeats with a “part 2″. And it was part 2 of an episode I watched part 1 of on Foxtel on Sunday night. Very weird.

14. ali December 3, 2008 at 10:14 pm -

9 is unbelievable!!! What about story continuity?? Episodes have a sequence for a reason.

15. Craig December 3, 2008 at 9:29 pm -

ep 7 was a good one, all have been good so far IMO!

16. Marco December 3, 2008 at 9:28 pm -

Maybe just record them and hold off watching them until they get around to showing #7. If you can be bovvered.

17. Belinda December 3, 2008 at 9:28 pm -

Luckily, I have that episode here, but haven’t watched it yet. It is the last one I obtained before I decided Fringe wasn’t worth the bandwidth.
    If nine continue these shenanigans I might have to reconsider.

18. Sarah December 3, 2008 at 9:11 pm -

For the people that care I am sure they weren’t relying on 9 anyway.

19. slowlylu December 3, 2008 at 8:52 pm -

Wow that’s really annoying. Particularly as Mr Jones is an important piece in the show’s expanding mythology. Now I’ll have to go back and re-read the recaps on The AV Club and TWoP!

20. Southpatt December 3, 2008 at 8:09 pm -

Same old same old :( – I have been preparing for this so now I won’t have to worry about their and other networks poor / erratic / incomplete scheduling

21. Marco December 3, 2008 at 8:06 pm -

Given the missing episode’s episode title, if a certain Mr Jones appears in #8 or #9, we have Nine to thank for not knowing who Mr Jones is!

22. Scooter December 3, 2008 at 7:59 pm -

Here here! Why?

23. Sephiroth_FF December 3, 2008 at 7:58 pm -

I’d like to know what the point of this is? Is a certain episode really going to make more people want to watch? Unless they advertise it as something like “watched by 20 million viewers in the US” then there’s no point in changing the order (even if that was the case, I’d be pissed).

24. JM December 3, 2008 at 7:47 pm -

Good thing only 700 thousand people will mind and i doubt they would have noticed if they werent told.
    Fringe is a great show but it just hasnt clicked with the Aussie audience

25. bindi December 3, 2008 at 7:28 pm -

do they have any sort of reason? or are they just incompetent? or messing with our minds just coz they can? they have been editing, messing with the schedule and now the episode order, this will have huge dvd sales as everyone gives up and waits for the dvd. really bad form 9.

26. Benno December 3, 2008 at 7:24 pm -

Why?

27. Zambora December 3, 2008 at 7:07 pm -

Too late now for Nine and their advertisers.
    I did not even bother watching this week, chose another channel as I was fed up with their meddling and I want continuity, something Nine have no idea about.
    Note to Nine advertisers – you lost chance to interest me with your goods.