The last Temptation

By David Knox on December 23, 2008 / Filed Under Programming 14

Friday January 23rd is the last day we’ll be seeing Temptation for the forseeable future. It’s no longer in production, and recent figures haven’t exactly been big enough to remedy that.

But due to One Day Series cricket, it’s getting a very late timeslot.

The final (ever?) episode airs 10pm Friday January 23rd.

It’s a rather inglorious exit for a show with such a strong history on Nine.

1. Lesley January 5, 2009 at 7:10 pm -

Temptation, on night 5 you had a contestant on and his name was Ian. Looking at the TV, he sat to the far left, a plumber was in the middle and the champion, Shane, was on the far right.
    Could you please give me his email address or contact details or pass on my details to him.
    Thanking you, Lesley

2. lameboyadvance December 30, 2008 at 5:53 pm -

So The Sale of Last Century is finally coming to an end.
    Its a shame Its stood the test of time only to go out like this.

3. Jimbo December 30, 2008 at 11:05 am -

Rest in Peace, Temptation.

Shame for you Nine for letting go a great show!!!!!!!

4. Tepee December 25, 2008 at 6:54 pm -

It’s always the bloody cricket!!

5. Wills December 23, 2008 at 11:13 pm -

Very sad. I recall Temptation beating Two & Half Men in ratings not that long ago. Mr. Packer would never had let this happen.

– Hey Mr. channel Nine, what’s going to happen when Two & Half Men stops rating?

Channel Nine died when Kerry did. – No-one there knows how to run a television station.

6. Alice Longworth December 23, 2008 at 9:33 pm -

hi how are you

can u ring up with my mother let her in here ot me i am deaf, i love to see here,
    i hope to win of money of saying word lolol

from Alice

7. ali December 23, 2008 at 8:33 pm -

I didn’t even know it was on!!! I wondered where it was when the cricket started, I’m not a fan, but my housemate is.

8. Andrew B December 23, 2008 at 2:46 pm -

And for temptation fans its made even worse that when the cricket finishes late, the show is not even on when it is advertised.

Last week I wanted to watch ER and Temptation on 9, but after seeing the cricket fiinish late bascially just set to record from 9pm – 1.30am rather than the autotune / record on my fix IQ.

Had I have set the auto-record, I would have missed it completely. Its also sad how EPGs are not updated when late running sports events are on. Wonder if Freeview will deal with that problem? Same as when cricket finishes early or is washed out. In the old days (when the viewer was actually important to TV networks) TV guides would show: “Alternative programming if cricket not on:”

Yes, very sad for Temptation. My mum went on in 1974, my wife in 2005 and was hoping my daughter would be 3rd generation!! Maybe another incarnation is to come or will ch9 still be showing crap in 10 years time?? (Can see it now: 2.5 men 20 years on!!).

Will there even be a ch 9 in 10 years time – now there’s a question!!!

9. Craig December 23, 2008 at 12:55 pm -

I have one question. why is Livinia Nixon not more famous? Nine should be using her as one of the networks bright lights..shes warm, funny, good looking and the camera just loves her!

10. Jerome December 23, 2008 at 11:43 am -

mcleods and temptation/SaleOTC are 2 of the few remaining relics from 9’s past where they were the #1 network. now both in their final episodes have been shafed to rediculus hours in non-ratings.

perhaps if they held onto and nurtured such shows they would find their original glory again.

11. Gerrard December 23, 2008 at 10:12 am -

Yeah that’s sad. Temptation (The New Sale Of The Century) has such a history with NINE, and this is how they are ending the awarding-winning show. Funnily enough, my parents named me Gerrard because a guy on Sale Of the Century in 1993 won everything and his name was Gerrard! I don’ get why people think Ed was a bad host – I thought he was great, and obviously so was Lavinia. Sad to see them go. However, these two hosts are in Channel NINE’s Christmas promos.

12. Ianblair23 December 23, 2008 at 7:33 am -

Very sad indeed.

13. Neon Kitten December 23, 2008 at 7:29 am -

Recent figures? At least two nights last week, it aired after midnight (unlisted in any program guides or Nine’s own EPG). That should give people an idea of how much Nine cares about the remnants of Temptation.

Nobody seems to have either missed its evening appearance nor noticed it was on during SMS Sex Scam Hour.

I would argue the inglorious exit for the show happened with the introduction of the current format, which almost completely does away with the actual quiz in the early section of the show in favour of product placement, infomercial-style.

14. Craig December 23, 2008 at 7:04 am -

Typical ch9 summer, all other shows suffer because of the cricket!