Airdate: SuperBowl XLIII

By David Knox on January 20, 2009 / Filed Under Programming 35

Network TEN is the Australian broadcaster of the Super Bowl this year, set to screen on Monday February 2nd.

Competing for the Arizona Cardinals is former Geelong AFL player Ben Graham -the first Australian to take part in a Super Bowl match.

The Arizona Cardinals are trying to break a 61 year championship drought, battling it out against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Performing at Super Bowl XLIII half-time show is Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Journey will perform during the pre-game show, and Jennifer Hudson will sing The Star-Spangled Banner in her first public appearance since the tragic murder of her nephew, brother and mother.

Amended: A TEN spokesperson has confirmed TEN will screen the match at 10am in all markets on both TEN SD and in high-def on TEN HD. A replay will air on TEN HD at 8:30pm. TEN HD also confirms an NFL archive show Power and Glory- Best Shots at 9am.

An NBA match between Detroit v Cleveland screens live on TEN HD at 6am and is repeated at 11pm. Boston v LA Lakers airs live 12midday Fri Feb 6th and repeated 9:30pm.

(A previous query about the TEN HD screening was due to an HD amendment sent before a Guide was issued).

1. Travodo February 1, 2009 at 7:29 pm -

“The NFL Pro Bowl (featuring players from both National and American Football Conferences of the league) will be shown on ESPN on Foxtel only.”

….According to the Advance guides on this site Ten HD will show the Pro Bowl from 10 am Monday morning Feb 9.

2. Flav February 1, 2009 at 9:35 am -

I’m confused! – why does the SuperBowl start in 8hrs 56 mins (SuperBowl Website), but Ch 10 are showing it live on Monday 10am?

3. The Moose January 31, 2009 at 11:23 am -

This Really Sucks than Ten have chosen not to air the SuperBowl Live. I Hope they lose the rights to it next year. Typical of TV Programmers who really should be bagging groceries. SBS for the future of our sport.

4. Martin January 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm -

Now Ten have got it, its not shown in all markets. As I live in country WA and it is not on here. Sooner its back on SBS the better.

5. James January 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm -

FFS, I have Foxtel but being its on ESPN it will be in 4:3 and to get the widescreen version I will have to watch the “live” coverage on Ten. Geez I am so sick of networks not changing for other states. You broadcast differently so why not change and give live coverage. Seven take note as well!

6. Dingo Dave January 29, 2009 at 11:59 pm -

Wow. Thanks Channel 10, for showing the Super Bowl “live at 10am in all markets”. And here I was thinking I was going to miss the start of 9AM With David and Kim because of those dastardly Americans scheduling the game to start at 9am Brisbane time, but now that I know that it will be “live at 10am in all markets” that takes a load off. Thanks again Channel 10.

7. Spell Checker January 25, 2009 at 6:01 pm -

Johnson –

You are fatally confused. I am not sure where you got your infomation, but the correct spelling is “Super Bowl.”

8. Sport lover January 23, 2009 at 9:59 pm -

Its great that its on ten but the cenario with the time zone is really poor. hopefully when onehd starts they will show sports live in every capital city seeing how it is a sports channel. if they dont onehd will fail and it will discourage the other 2 commercial networks to launch their sports channels no question about it.

9. BigfatAmerican January 23, 2009 at 7:05 am -

Welcome to australia! I have found that you all get screwed over on 99% of things, so why not the superbowl as well? I am happy at least to get to see it, took me a while to learn that SBS showed it here, but have watched it since… 10 seemed to be okay for a tv station, and am glad they will be covering alot of american sports, but if they have made it so that this year by their not being ready to air it for everyone, they should also let sbs show it as well so everyone who wants to can watch… Makes sense to me, but as not much else does here, doesnt really surprise me… Way to go australia, never cease to make me shake my head in disgust/bewilderment…

10. fizzin January 22, 2009 at 1:59 pm -

Ive watched every one of the games leading to the playoffs or as we call them: ‘finals’, but because we dont have daylight saving in QLand (hooray [note the lack of caps David *chuckle*]) it lags a bit which is a pain in the mitka when discussing the game on US NFL Forums, one has to log onto the NFL site to get an animation of where the game is at. grrrrrrrrrr!

11. GreenLego January 22, 2009 at 12:43 pm -

Not broadcasting Live sucks big time :( This reminds me of that stupid debacle with Nine when they ‘covered’ the Superbowl a few years back. They showed Humphrey B Bear instead of the kick-off so Nine didn’t even bother to show the first 30mins of the game whatsoever. Lucky that they only tried it once, and then it went back to ABC/SBS. Probably similar thing will happen to Ten – this would be the one and only for a while and ABC/SBS will pick it up next year for a proper coverage.

12. newtaste January 21, 2009 at 2:12 pm -

“they shouldn’t really be able to call something live if it is only live in 2 out of 8 capital cities”

It will also be Live in Canberra and Hobart, but yes it should be live everywhere. I’m pretty sure that in previous years when SBS, ABC, Nine and Seven have shown the Superbowl it has been live to every market.

13. GG January 21, 2009 at 2:13 am -

If that’s true, then TEN suck the big fat one. Very very very poor effort by TEN there. Shocking, inexcusable.

It’s inexcusable if youre showing a delayed version in other states. That is just nonsense. SBS always showed it live in all markets in previous years. What’s the big deal if you show it live in Adelaide at 930, or Perth at 800? Who cares about some early morning show that might be usually on at that time. This is the superbowl! Same as the Olympics, or the Soccer World Cup. Or if there’s some breaking world news that ends up canceling whatever was on the TV at the time. Or when the cricket is on and normal scheduled programs get canceled. It’s just one occasion a year when the Superbowl is on. Whatever nonsense that’s on normally at 8am and 930am in Perth and Adelaide gets shown 24/7 and can take a day off surely!

C’mon guys/gals at TEN. Dont mess this up please.
    Seriously, you need to change your minds on this and make it live in all states in their respective timezones.
    I cannot believe how pathetic TEN will be if they do not show this live. And remember about your marketing for the ONE program. How can you guys be taken Seriously if you dont show the Superbowl live?

Im flabbergasted. This is BS.

14. bindi January 21, 2009 at 1:09 am -

yes they shouldn’t really be able to call something live if it is only live in 2 out of 8 capital cities.

15. Blazza January 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm -

so its not live ne where esle but melbourne and sydney
    wtf are 10 doing
    stupid idiots

16. Bogues January 20, 2009 at 2:04 pm -

Thanks David for the clairification. I hope when One HD starts in April, all states will be ‘live’, since it would make no sense to have a delayed broadcast of One HD outside Sydney and Melbourne.

17. David Knox January 20, 2009 at 1:55 pm -

Ok TEN confirms.. yes to high def on TEN HD at 10am. No to earlier times for non-AEDT viewers. It is 10am in all markets.

18. Brian Marchant-Calsyn January 20, 2009 at 1:22 pm -

I want the Cards to win. I expect the black and gold marauders of death to do so, but would love to see Kurt seal the Hall of Fame bid. It will sound sappy but here is my Kurt Warner story: We live in west county St. Louis. My wife was at a local breakfast eatery when Kurt played here with two of my daughters. She notices Warner enjoying breakfast with a man in a suit. She leaves him alone till done with his meal and when he gets up she lets the girls go over and ask for autographs. He pulls out his trading card with scripture on the back and signs it with their names and pats them on the head. Classy style right? My wife and daughters finish their meal beaming over their souvenirs. Then when my wife asks for the check the waitress says, “Oh sweetie, Mr. Warner paid for all your breakfasts.”
    Yeah, I know, he’s a high-paid athlete. The $20-25 tab was nothing to him. But the fact that he even thought about it. That impressed me.
    Brian Marchant-Calsyn

19. Johnson January 20, 2009 at 1:21 pm -

Although I love seeing regular season NFL matches on Ten, the fact that Ten has picked up Superbowl (the correct spelling) means thousands of people who live in parts of regional Australia (e.g. NT) will miss out as the local station doesn’t carry Ten programming.
    Brendan: The NFL Pro Bowl (featuring players from both National and American Football Conferences of the league) will be shown on ESPN on Foxtel only.
    Also good news on NBA returning to free-to-air TV after a decade. If Ten can afford the cost, it should telecast one match per day since regular season games are played every day of the week (except Christmas Eve and before and after All-Star Weekend).

20. Andrew January 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm -

so now they’re sending amendments before sending out guides??? What hope has anyone got of being able to track down what’s actually on TV these days??!

21. Brendan January 20, 2009 at 12:46 pm -

Great to hear it’ll be on Ten.

Any news on the Pro bowl? its on the 8th of Feb.

22. David Knox January 20, 2009 at 12:13 pm -

Guys I’ve spoken with TEN re the live HD situation, as their amendments only indicated a HD evening replay and no guide for HD has yet been issued. A spokesperson is hoping to confirm the situation asap. As a result I’ve amended the post (and out of fairness to TEN, comments) relating to HD scheduling until this is resolved.

23. mac January 20, 2009 at 12:08 pm -

surprising it wont be on foxsports (according to the foxtel website) as they showed the playoffs.

24. mac January 20, 2009 at 12:03 pm -

it will also be live on espn on foxtel and in hd on espn hd on foxtel hd+. i will be watching on ten sd as espn is not widescreen and i dont have hd+.

ps: how can espn not be in widescreen, sport is probaly the times when widescreen is most useful as it lets you see more of the field and in return more players at the one time.

25. Blazza January 20, 2009 at 11:56 am -

cheers mate

26. David Knox January 20, 2009 at 11:42 am -

Blazza airtimes on this site are Melbourne-based, so I’ll have to check about those other states.

27. Blazza January 20, 2009 at 11:37 am -

is that live everyhwere though

so if u lived in brisbane it would be 9 am
    adelaide 9:30 am
    perth 8 am ????

28. T-Mac January 20, 2009 at 10:42 am -

It’ll be interesting to see if Ten SD covers up all the NBC show promos with their own ones.

29. David Knox January 20, 2009 at 10:22 am -

Added.

30. mac January 20, 2009 at 10:05 am -

if i missed it i apologise but you article doesn’t say what time it will be on live, just the replay.

31. Benno January 20, 2009 at 9:53 am -

I don’t think we’ll quite get a third of Australia watching, but it will be interesting seeing our ratings for it, and especially theirs.

32. BM-dog January 20, 2009 at 9:39 am -

Craig: SBS screened it in previous years, but now that Ten has started showing regular-season NFL on Ten HD I guess they picked up the rights to the Super Bowl too.

33. ClownDog January 20, 2009 at 9:32 am -

I don’t care in the least about the Super Bowl, but your very last sentence grabbed my attention. Pleased to see that the NBA will be back on FTA TV, and before OneHD officially starts up too. Confirmed the details on the NBA website (Schedule -> International TV). Looks like 2 games per week increasing to four. Good stuff!

34. Craig January 20, 2009 at 8:37 am -

Why didn’t this go to SBS?

35. Liyster January 20, 2009 at 7:50 am -

Do you know if Channel 10 will be broadcasting the SuperBowl ads as well?