Ugly Betty close to renewal

By David Knox on February 11, 2009 / Filed Under News 14

ugly-betty306US Network ABC is reportedly close to renewing Ugly Betty for a fourth season.

The last word on the series’ future left things very unclear when ABC announced that it was temporarily replacing the show with a comedy block.

Michael Ausiello reports, “The network is also said to be this close to giving early pickups to Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, America’s Funniest Home Videos, and The Bachelor.”

That would leave some question marks overother shows including Life on Mars and Samantha Who.

But an ABC spokesperson said it was not ready to announce any pick-ups at this point.

Seven is yet to premiere the third season of Betty which began in September in the US. That season includes a guest appearance by Grant Bowler (fast becoming “the new Alan Dale”?).

Meanwhile Showtime has announced a renewal for Toni Collette’s United States of Tara, with another 12 eps set for 2010.

“It has been pure pleasure working with Diablo Cody, Toni Collette, Steven Spielberg and everyone at Dreamworks on United States of Tara,” said Showtime entertainment chief Robert Greenblatt . “This show is a perfect fit for our premium brand and we’re thrilled that critics and audiences have responded to this groundbreaking show so well. I look forward to many more alternate personalities emerging from this unique series.”

So far no Aussie network has yet indicated it has the rights to this show, including  Showtime.

Source: EW.com, B&C

1. Sephiroth_FF February 18, 2009 at 12:45 pm -

Thank goodness Ugly Betty is pretty much safe! I had heard a while ago that the ratings weren’t too great but then when I looked the show up, they seemed ok and I was pretty sure it would be renewed. Now I’m certain and I couldn’t be happier! But I hope Gio and Henry come back. I miss them so much.

2. David Knox February 15, 2009 at 2:39 pm -

It was the end of S2 yes. Altho the US is well into S3.

3. Deborah February 15, 2009 at 2:32 pm -

I thought that Ugly Betty stopped to make way for the tennis and since then hasn’t come back! Was that the end of the series?

4. Benno February 12, 2009 at 6:47 pm -

I know we can’t post links here now, but go to a site called ‘TV by the numbers’ and click on the Betty link on the front page. It puts a giant hole in the Ausiello report.

5. Joanne February 12, 2009 at 6:14 pm -

I don’t like Betty as a character at all, but I’ll keep watching the show if it means the awesomeness that is Judith Light (Claire Meade) will stay on primetime TV.

6. ali February 11, 2009 at 6:50 pm -

Time for Ugly Betty to go.

7. Xav February 11, 2009 at 3:41 pm -

A 4th seson of Ugly Betty would be great.. but they will have to wrap it up sometime or else it’ll be repetitive. As a UB fan as well, this is great news and I hope Channel 7 will air it mid-year.

8. Craig February 11, 2009 at 1:56 pm -

If Life on Mars US is going to end I hope they give it a proper ending like the UK did.

Hope Samantha Who comes back, just wish ch7 would air it.

9. Sillygostly February 11, 2009 at 1:38 pm -

BTW, it’s simply titled “United States of Tara” (there’s no “The” in the title). Just a minor nitpick as I too was unsure of the full title of the show lol.

Anywho, yaay for Tara. Not the most groundbreaking show on TV (the pilot was so contrived it hurts), and the pacing seems awfully rushed due to the 25-28 minute running time, but it’s been filling the void left by Californication and gives me something to watch while waiting for the next episode of Skins.

I’m actually surprised that none of the FTA networks have picked this up (let alone cable). I think it has a lot of appeal. Plus they could easily market it as starring our very own Toni Collette. I reckon Channel Ten especially could benefit from the show.

10. Ryan February 11, 2009 at 1:27 pm -

Tara is a great show, I’m in love with it. I thought TEN had the rights to this, I’m positive there was an article sometime last year claiming this.

And good news about Ugly Betty its a great, light hearted, sweet and charming show.

11. Jed February 11, 2009 at 1:17 pm -

The United States of Tara is a terrible title for a show. Anywho, and word on whether Samantha Who will be coming back on Seven?? And My Name is Earl??

12. koverstreet February 11, 2009 at 1:09 pm -

Mmm wouldn’t count on Life On Mars being given another year.

Any news on the other networks? Specifically I’m interested in the fate of Medium. It’s not doing too well and there is talk of it getting cancelled.

13. sasha February 11, 2009 at 12:42 pm -

Tara is the best and i love this new show so very happy to read this

14. Mia February 11, 2009 at 12:23 pm -

As an Ugly Betty fan, I’m in two minds about a 4th season. Having already watched half of the 3rd season, I’m still enjoying the show – Grant Bowler has been a great addition to the mix, but I do wonder whether it can sustain a full 4th series.