Auditions: Australian Idol

By David Knox on March 20, 2009 / Filed Under News 9

idoljudgingAustralian Idol‘s audition tour kicks off this weekend in Darwin, but Ian ‘Dicko’ Dickson, Marcia Hines and Kyle Sandilands will reportedly only be attending in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.

As most auditionees known, Idol judges are always screened first by producers before the best -and worst- are delivered through to judges. This is common practice in reality television due to the sheer numbers of wanna-bes.

Idol judges had nearly always visited the stops on the Idol tour, including regional towns. Indeed the show made a point of boasting they had criss-crossed the country to from the coast to the outback. Last year Darwin was off the list, and in some places just one judge attended.

That was before the economic meltdown and before Kyle Sandilands was suppposedly spending a lot of his time in LA. Now it’s cut back even more.

By way of compensation, Idol has offered online audition opportunities this year, allowing some the chance to ‘skip the queue’ and be fastracked to the judging panel. Better than an all night sleep out.

Idol also adds Mackay in Far North Queensland, and Bathurst in the central west of NSW. There are no overseas auditions this year either. Successful auditionees in other cities will be flown to Sydney, Brissy or Melbourne to appear before the judges.

Online Auditions will close at 12 midnight (AEST) on Thursday, April 9, 2009.

DARWIN – SUNDAY MARCH 22

The Atrium, 448 Epsom Road, Flemington Racecourse

BRISBANE – SATURDAY MAY 9, SUNDAY MAY 10
Suncorp Piazza, Cnr Little Stanley & Glenelg Street, South Bank

SYDNEY – SATURDAY MAY 16, SUNDAY MAY 17, MONDAY MAY 18
Australian Technology Park, Bay 4, Henderson Road, Eveleigh

1. David Knox October 24, 2009 at 10:38 pm -

Mariam there are currently no auditions. Minimum age has always been 16.

2. mariam.hoblos October 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm -

Hii my name is Mariam and i would like to audition for kids Australian Idol.I have a passion for singing.Singing is my hobby.I know a fare bit of singers.I have been singing since i was 2.I would name but theres too much.I’m 12 yrs in January.My favourite 2 singer would have too be Rihanna & Akon.I know all of their songs.My favourite Rihanna song is run this to wn tonight,& my favourite Akon song is sexy chick.

I would appreciate if someone will consider my attemptto begin my future.
    Yours Sincerely
    Mariam:):):)

3. Josh G April 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm -

For online auditions, do they contact everyone (even via email), if they are successful or unsuccessful?

4. Jed March 21, 2009 at 11:41 am -

Good, i wouldn’t Kyle in Adelaide anyway.

5. Craig F March 20, 2009 at 11:33 pm -

“You can fly two contestants to Sydney for the price of flying just one judge to Darwin one-way”

Exactly. Who says you have to fly Kyle back;)?

6. Chris March 20, 2009 at 7:21 pm -

It’s not just flying the judges and their food, hotels, etc that costs money, it’s all the TV crew and equipment as well.

7. JohnTV March 20, 2009 at 5:27 pm -

Craig

The judges will have in their contracts that they have to fly business class at minimum so it does become quite expensive to fly them around the country. For example, Sydney to Darwin with Virgin Blue economy is $315 but $680 business class. You can fly two contestants to Sydney for the price of flying just one judge to Darwin one-way.

8. RichoTB March 20, 2009 at 5:26 pm -

Already?? It feels like the last season of this tired show was just last week

9. Craig F March 20, 2009 at 4:59 pm -

I would have thought the cost of flying contestants to the East Coast would have been equal – if not greater – than bringing the judges to them, unless of course a) the producers don’t expect to find/recruit much talent outside Brissy, Sydney or Melbourne, or b) Dicko, Kyle and Marcia stay at some pretty expensive hotels.