Dance: It’s Talia!

By David Knox on April 26, 2009 / Filed Under News 18

dancewin18-year-old ballerina Talia Fowler has won the 2009 title of So You Think You Can Dance Australia. She wins $200,000 and the chance to dance in America on the US Dance finale.

“This has been the most amazing personal growth experience of my life,” she said.

“I have no insecurities anymore. I feel so confident. This show is amazing for any dancer out there. It’s surreal.”

dancewin2Talia pipped 19 year old hip hop dancer Charlie at the end. He takes home $15,000. Amy was third winning $10,000 and Ben takes $5,000 for fourth.

Host Natalie Bassingthwaighte confirmed the series would return in 2010.

Gallery: Finale: So You Think You Can Dance.

1. Stan April 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm -

I liked Talia as well. Congrats to her.
    Here in Sydney we also had technical glitches, so it must have been problems with the location where they were recording both programmes.

2. Harry April 27, 2009 at 5:05 pm -

Well done to Talia, loved her! Deserving final 4, glad it was Talia and I think she’ll do Australi proud in the US!

3. gerrard April 27, 2009 at 4:55 pm -

Completely agree that $200 000 is way too much. It’s not going to get more people watching.

They could use that money to send Natalie to hosting classes!

4. matthew April 27, 2009 at 12:56 pm -

i noticed the Technical Problems Too

Do the guests always talk amongst themselves during the show?

I thought the transition was great idea,

matt

5. Sasha April 27, 2009 at 11:15 am -

@ George:

We had all those technical glitches in Perth as well, so go figure!

6. Ken Hall April 27, 2009 at 10:49 am -

What a wonderful final all four worthy winners but Talia was the right choice,
    and are’nt they ever so fit a wake up call for Australia…Long live Dance!

7. Christopher April 27, 2009 at 8:54 am -

Yeah George, I saw the start of Rove while waiting for F1 on One and it was dropping out like crazy in Melbourne. It’d stopped raining a while earlier though, was just a crappy connection with Sydney or something.

8. Anita April 27, 2009 at 1:15 am -

RichoTB, the winner last year got the same cash amount as the winner this year… Congratulations to Talia – I voted for Amy, but I’m happy Talia got more votes than Charlie ;) lol…

9. Dean April 26, 2009 at 11:42 pm -

Don’t worry

Everyone had those technical glitches.

10. sandra April 26, 2009 at 11:30 pm -

rj, i heard it as well while gretel was being interviewed.. she said something about rehearsing.. you can really see the minor mistakes on live tv compared to pre-recorded. Was anyone else’s tv freezing at times during rove or giving a black screen for 1 second.. it couldn’t be the new tv..

11. George April 26, 2009 at 11:27 pm -

@rj

It probably was her. However, I was half expecting something to go wrong in the sudden transition from the Dance studio to Rove’s.

Also, did anyone from Melbourne (or anywhere else I guess) have a lot of dropouts during both Dance and Rove? Every now and again nearing the end of Dance and the first half of Rove the screen would go black but the TEN logo and sound would still be coming through.. Could it have been because of the wild weather down here for us Melbournians?

12. David Knox April 26, 2009 at 11:00 pm -

13. rj April 26, 2009 at 10:57 pm -

Did anyone notice Natalie Bassingthwaighte’s mic still on while she was off-camera during Rove?

I coulda sworn I heard her talking, and maybe even a fly zip.
    Anyone hear any of it?

14. VMan April 26, 2009 at 10:37 pm -

50,000 is more than ample. The Australian public really doesn’t care…it’s definitely not gonna earn them more ratings by giving them 200K.

15. RichoTB April 26, 2009 at 10:27 pm -

That’s a lot of cash!! IIRC the winner last year only got something small like the chance to dance in a show for 3 months overseas or something like that, now they’re throwing out wads of cash too?

16. cpandilo April 26, 2009 at 10:22 pm -

I think 1st prize should be $100,000 at the most.

17. Ben April 26, 2009 at 10:17 pm -

Yay, no more ads.

18. Kuttsywood April 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm -

I honestly think 10 should have bumped a “0” off that 1st prize.

If they keep giving out $200k prizes, So You Think You Can Dance, will End Up Sending Ten Broke!