Gone: Guerrilla Gardeners

By David Knox on April 27, 2009 / Filed Under Programming 26

daveggTEN has dropped its renegade landscaping series Guerrilla Gardeners from current schedules, effective immediately.

The show was airing on Sundays at 6pm after struggling on Wednesday nights. Last night it took just 436,000 viewers, thumped by Seven News (1.79m) and Nine News (1.54m). Its lead in, Out of the Blue, was no help with 221,000.

But viewers flocked to The Biggest Loser at 6:30pm with 1.48m winning its slot.

Guerrilla Gardeners is part of a renewed push by TEN into factual television with Recruits to premiere next week. TEN will still have a number of unaired episodes, but so far no word on where they will air.

It will be replaced by (wait for it) repeats of The Simpsons -the very show the network was supposedly axing this morning.

1. The Phoenix May 17, 2009 at 7:19 pm -

noo! i likes the guerillas! the simpsons are really good too but they’re on every other day of the week, and they repeat..over and over. put back the guerillas!! or at least show the unaired episodes!!!! please!!

2. Beau May 3, 2009 at 10:42 pm -

Jesus, Mary and Joseph… finally! The worst show in a long time meets a swift hatchet. Are fans blind? The “renovations” were hideous and given 6 months would be at least as hideous as what was on site prior. Do you think 10′s gonna chip in in the coming months and years when these sites have gone to shit? Doubt it.

The whole “we’re cool at breaking the law” angle should be pursued by the police and councils everywhere, it’s irresponsible and opportunistic… leave site care to councils, at least someone is responsible for works carried out.

3. Ryan April 29, 2009 at 8:48 am -

:-( I liked this show…..shame its gone now, but it really wasn’t doing the job on Sunday, it was holding steady Wednesday night, though not great figures by any means.

4. Goonies April 28, 2009 at 4:08 pm -

Yay!! Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Transfer it to 7.30pm Friday !? – I don’t think so.

5. GuanoLad April 28, 2009 at 11:24 am -

It didn’t have legs. If it had carried on, they would be recognised and welcomed for the free work. Maybe even commissioned.

It was also transparently edited to be something it wasn’t, trying too hard to elicit tension where there was none.

I won’t miss it.

6. David Knox April 28, 2009 at 10:44 am -

OOTB isn’t in prdn. It was made for the UK with 130 eps, so showing it once a week (which it clearly wasn’t designed for) will be a slow trickle.

7. Chris April 28, 2009 at 10:32 am -

i wih tv networks were not able to change timeslots. they should make a choice and leave it like that. I was a viewer of GG and missed it when it moved and i am sure many people were the same.

Why out of the blue is still in production is beyond me. why networks are so stupid putting a show up against the news is just stupid.

8. Andrew B April 28, 2009 at 9:00 am -

Play it out late night for the fans. Same with Out of the Blue. Oh – and isn’t the fact that Loser went up to 1.4mil after it evidence that lead ins mean nothing?

9. Ianblair23 April 28, 2009 at 7:59 am -

I am really disappointed with this move. I have watched every episode so far and was really enjoying it. Living in Sydney, I recognised so many sites which they have done up.

It is also annoying that now that Ten has One SD and One HD, there is no place to “dump” this program which means of course it is gone completely. Every more frustrating is that because it is a local program we can’t download it from anywhere.

Thanks Ten.

10. George April 28, 2009 at 1:36 am -

Bit saddened to see it go, but I’ve grown fairly tired of the show. The cactus garden they did didn’t look very nice.. They could’ve done something a bit nicer.
    Maybe TEN could put it on once a week on say Friday nights instead of infomercials? :D

11. Kuttsywood April 28, 2009 at 12:34 am -

Another day, another $25,000 spent on Simpsons repeats.

What was that program’s budget? (Guerilla Gardeners, not The Simpsons)

12. David Knox April 28, 2009 at 12:32 am -

After 5 they get drama points.

13. DAN April 28, 2009 at 12:22 am -

Out of the blue should be taken out of the schedule at least they gave it a go on Wednesday nights if it was on 9 it would have been gone with in a week

14. Paull April 27, 2009 at 11:38 pm -

@matthew: I loved the fact it was in sydney, so many places I recognised.

As for the axing of the show, I am, wait for it… Disappointed :( Yes I love the simpsons@6pm, yet I actually enjoyed the sunday break from it, I’ve watched it at 6 the last couple of weeks, and yet when it was on at 8pm Weds, I never watched it.

Ten’s attitude with axing unsuccessful shows really disappoints me, and makes me thankful for channel 7, which, instead of axing a poorly rated show, it just sticks it at a time when only shift workers are awake. At least I can still tape it though.

ps. Bring back judge judy ten!!

15. matthew April 27, 2009 at 11:29 pm -

It was too sydney focused

they only did 1 garden outside of sydney

other states get sick of constantly seeing sydney all the time

matt

16. Captain Awesome April 27, 2009 at 10:54 pm -

great news!! i keep turning on the tv @6pm on a sunday looking for the Simpsons, only to be disappointed by the rubbish they had on.

17. timmy April 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm -

Oh well, at least I caught another local ep (St Peters station).

But yeah, it was a crap programming decision to move it to that slot.

18. PT Ryan April 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm -

Meh, hated this show and the way they always seemed to act “shocked” when council officials would want to know what the hell they were doing. Good riddance.

19. Sillygostly April 27, 2009 at 10:04 pm -

An awful timeslot. They could’ve slotted in at 7.30pm Fridays as an alternative (or substitute) for Better Homes and Gardens.

20. mikey April 27, 2009 at 9:21 pm -

Ten should have Simpsons Sunday’s… At present, they are trying to finger too many demographic pies at the moment – keep your fingers where they belong, the 19-39/49 crew….

MasterChef, Gardiners, heck even Loser (albeit a sucessful one) are serious no-go-zones AFA viewing goes for me, a 27 y.o.

21. Craig April 27, 2009 at 9:09 pm -

I was liking the show but missed it this week with the move…

22. John April 27, 2009 at 8:46 pm -

Yes! Simpons back on Sundays.
    It was the only day of the week without.
    Guerrilla Gardners was awful. Good ridance.
    There’s now anything between 4-5 eps of The Simpsons most weekends now! Hell yes! Keeps me from buying Foxtel.

23. ryan April 27, 2009 at 7:53 pm -

the real show that needs to go is not the gardeners but the s**t house show out of the blue!!

24. Earthquake April 27, 2009 at 7:33 pm -

Not happy at all. You put a show in an awful timeslot, expect it to get awful ratings.

Hopefully they sell it to Seven for their lifestyle channel and it can get a good airing.

25. Bazza April 27, 2009 at 7:10 pm -

and nothing of value was lost…

26. Rutzie April 27, 2009 at 6:53 pm -

Absolutely stupid timeslot move by Ten. It was starting to perform reasonably well on Wednesday’s. The fact that this rated so poorly doesn’t bode well for Recruits.