Seven puts a Tiger in the tank

By David Knox on April 6, 2009 / Filed Under News 38

tiger4The Seven Network is shooting a new series based around budget airline Tiger Airways.

TV Tonight understands the new series will be similar to the Jetstar series Going Places previously aired on the Nine Network, but possibly with less advertorial content.

“The good, bad and ugly of Tiger,” a source said.

tiger2

tiger5

Shooting at Melbourne’s Tullamarine airport it is being overseen by a field producer from Border Security.

Airline-based shows continue to perform well with both Border and Customs pulling big audiences.

1. My Self July 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm -

I have been using domestic airlines intensively for the last two years. Here are my impartial findings:

Virgin: Needlessly too expensive; punctual.
    Jetstar: Relatively expensive; high hidden cost; usually on time.
    Tiger: Low affordable prices; high hidden gimmicky cost; frequent delays and lack of timely accurate information for waiting passengers. Vague and useless information is often on display.

All of three airlines will charge you an inflated double fee for using your bankcard for a single payment when booking a return trip. All of three airlines make it impossible to change a booking, by charging inflated fees.

The fact remains that the existence of Tiger Airways is necessary in order to maintain competition. I would still put up with Tiger for the sake of a reasonable price. Prices have already been pumped up by Virgin and Jetstar during the temporary absence of Tiger.

2. franz chong March 28, 2010 at 8:17 pm -

This Airline and Show is an insult.Flying used to be something enjoyable.The Bogans most likely went by Rail or Coach Now they are everywhere thanks to Tiger.Me I had Frequent Flyers with Ansett till they bellied up in 2002 Now I am with Virgin Blue and have had a Qantas Membership since 1997.It would take a lot to get me to even consider Tiger as a result of my loyalties there

3. Joker psychopath February 21, 2010 at 8:45 pm -

I want to taunt some of the crazy customers till they cry or want to throw a move so i can bash em. I feel sorry for the desk clerks……u guys are the some of the most patient people i’ve ever met.

4. Nel December 13, 2009 at 1:47 pm -

I was due to fly out of Melbourne at 10.55am this morning but the flight was cancelled due to engine problems? The next available flight was 3.00pm and then 4.30pm. I was in the line at 9.30am and I have to wonder whether there was a genuine problem or whether the whole ordeal was a farce so as to have footage for a tv series ,or was it just coincidental that the film crew was there to film the passengers being given the bad news? If this is the case then shame on Tiger and shame on channel 7. I will only fly Tiger again if they are giving airline seats away.

5. RichW November 3, 2009 at 4:34 pm -

To Elizabeth Thomas,

Regarding you message …

“l beg to differ . My husband and l went to tassie,we were held in transit for 45 min which is over the time that we were ment to takeoff.There was a guythat was on the flight that was not even flying to Tassie was going to Adelaide which put our flight back further. Hello how did he even get on our flight. Yet you continue to Harass other passengers about being late when there flight is still on the ground. Or still in waiting to be boarded . This company needs to get there perspective in order so that there passengers are happy and want to fly with them again. do not forget that they are your customers.”

Now that we have covered what Tiger should do, we can now turn to the problem of your poor spelling, punctuation and misuse of capital letters. Still I guess you watch Channel Seven, so you are excused.

6. stan rice September 28, 2009 at 7:46 am -

My wife and children had a flight booked with tiger wed 23rd sep from melb to brisbane was cancelled then again on sat 27 re sceduled and also cancelled was there ever such a flight or was it a phantom was told the next flight they could get them on was 1st october cant beleive the lack of service or care with tiger i was suppose to travell up and meet my family on 30th sep and all come back together on the 6th oct so with no time to think about the situation suggested to my wife she had better get a refund as i was 80km away and they would not even pay 4 a taxi but willing to give 120.oo dollars to go towards another flight how ridiculous in school hollidays to think that would go far to purchase more tickets forget the money lost on car hire and accomodation then the next day i looked on the web site and there were still flights on my scheduled flight available on the 30th sep yet they said couldnt get anything untill the 1st october so i nphoned them up and they made a booking for the same flight as mine so we could travell together but am yet to see or have it confirmed and the flight is 30 hours away if any one wants to contact tiger just forget it as it is almost impossible to talk to someone in australia i have been calling the philipines as they arer the only ones even answering there phone if we do as unlikeley as i feel get to fly i can assure you it will be the first and last time i will ever have anything to do with Tiger Airlines

7. ji yan August 12, 2009 at 4:13 pm -

i watched an episode of this and it was great.. i love seeing passengers understand that it is totally their mistake and not the staff’s.. ehehehe!:D

8. elizabeth thomas August 11, 2009 at 8:46 pm -

9. Akunak Cakap July 29, 2009 at 4:53 pm -

Watched this last night. Bogans should never be permitted to fly. Which is exactly what happened to the irate feral couple who wanted to fly to Canberra where they had booked accommodation. The aforesaid accommodation turned out to be a caravan park.

10. Val Hudson July 22, 2009 at 12:14 pm -

What were Tiger thinking let them film this stuff. Talk about left hand not knowing the right one is doing!!! I agree with many of the comments posted staff were cold, robotic and unsympathetic. Customers need solutions not shouting and belittling. The Manager clearly the top face of Tiger at the airport was the worst of all as much people skills as a concrete wall. I felt for most of these people except ones who didn’t follow check in rules. Surely the Airline shouldn’t have let the underage boy fly out if they weren’t prepared to fly him back. The gentlemen who’s seat was clearly given to the couple should have received another seat and compensation I still believe a better checking in system would avoid this. Anyway bottom line until Tiger can demonstrate they have addressed these issues I will be flying with other carriers.

11. Maria July 22, 2009 at 10:38 am -

Jason I would have thought most parents would ask a child to go to the toilet before getting on the plane (even if you don’t need to, just go and try). We were always told that as kids, mine were told that and most people I know were also told. What happens when you go somewhere where toilets are not close by, does she wet herself then? Surely you were not escorted off by the federal police because she wet her pants. What are you not telling in your coment. Also, itineraries clearly state that checkin closes strictly 45 minutes before departure.

12. heidi895 July 21, 2009 at 8:08 pm -

This show made Tiger airways look unhelpful and heartless. Clearly there is alot of bureaucratic red tape, but making someone under 18 tout the line for any random person to sign a waiver is sheer absurdity. The customer surface staff although they have rules to follow and cold and unsympathetic. I’d fly Virgin or Jetstar anyday.

13. jason July 21, 2009 at 7:53 pm -

my daughter of 6 was made 2 urinate in her pants and on the seat and then sit in it best they could offer was 3 dish wipes,within 2 mins of seat belt sign ,cabin crew were walking around for next 10 mins great start for a little girls first flight,, then got escorted off by fed police,,,,,,,, also had the 1 minute late senario and not given anthing but sorry,, cost me over 1000 ,,,, great airline not,, pay the extra noot worth it,,,,,and we pay a levy for toilet

14. ex tiger July 12, 2009 at 10:51 pm -

omg I can’t wait for this show, I used to work for Tiger and heard that it was coming. It will show everyone that the poor checkin staff really need to be payed alot more!! People act disgusting at airports (i’m still there but with a diff airline now). Woohooo can’t wait!!!!

15. tim July 6, 2009 at 1:10 am -

Umm why does it say in the description that its shot at Tullamarine airport when the pictures clearly show its the gold coast coolangatta airport?

16. franz chong July 5, 2009 at 8:15 pm -

I’ll be watching

17. My_boeing_ 767 June 18, 2009 at 6:40 pm -

David, I know the producer and it is not funded in anyway by Tiger Airways.
    Channel 7 has put up the cash.
    Its warts and all, Tiger wanted it to educate the Australian public in regard to how the Low cost model actually works.
    They want people to understand that LLCs are not full service airlines, do not charge like full service airlines nor do they offer all the trimming of full service airlines.
    Its must see TV !

18. Tontenn June 1, 2009 at 11:13 pm -

This was just released by Seven:Air Ways: An unprecedented look at the day-to-day running of a budget airline in Australia – all the stress and joy of travel come together in this series
    as passengers and the staff from Tiger Airways contends with misplaced
    luggage, delayed flights and even a wedding. joins a new slate of new Australian-made
    programming, all coming soon to Seven.

19. Roi May 28, 2009 at 11:30 am -

Woohoo!!! Make sure you keep an eye out for the Jellyhammer crew! I hear they were a hoot when they got filmed!

20. David Knox April 7, 2009 at 2:24 pm -

I guess because we know these kinds of shows are usually glorified advertorials. If it steers towards credibility it can hold an audience better. I’m guessing it won’t be that “ugly…”

21. Pat April 7, 2009 at 1:58 pm -

sounds like a great show I can’t wait to see it!
    I just want to ask David if it was self funded why would it they be showing “the good, the bad and the ugly”? I think this show has great potential.

22. what_tha April 6, 2009 at 9:47 pm -

If it’s as good as ITV’s “Airline” I’ll watch it

23. Dante April 6, 2009 at 6:13 pm -

Ahh so that’s what it was
    I appeared in the background of a scene when flying on tiger in January.
    The producer seemed to be egging on the family who were denied entry.

24. Pasha April 6, 2009 at 5:53 pm -

There was a pilot program that was in pre production with Virgin Blue late last year, alas over the 4 weeks filming process there really wasnt much action happening at the airport. It was originally slated for Seven, could have this been swapped for Tiger?

25. David Knox April 6, 2009 at 5:06 pm -

Presumably it will be heavily funded by the airline and played out on weekends.

26. BM-dog April 6, 2009 at 5:01 pm -

Aren’t there about three dozen of this type of shows? I don’t really see how there’s exactly room for innovation in the field.

27. DAN April 6, 2009 at 3:15 pm -

Might be ok but it will be a success for 2 reasons
    1 it is a factual
    2 it is on seven
    Didn’t even know that there was one based on jetstar I probably would have watched it if I had known

28. Chris April 6, 2009 at 2:54 pm -

Wow, that sounds…um exciting…

29. pondie84 April 6, 2009 at 2:34 pm -

Another airport series? Boring!

Budget airline? Budget tv show more like it.

30. FlossAus April 6, 2009 at 1:21 pm -

I’d love it, if it very much resembled the EasyJet, Airline model. It meant that it was realistic without the airline editing away errors they made. Often it’s just moronic people who miss their flight due to external actions, going off their nut at the poor desk girl/boy.

31. John April 6, 2009 at 11:22 am -

Interesting in that TT ran a story last week about Tiger and the problems travellers have with the airline changing schedules etc etc etc

check out the video on TT site.

32. Ted April 6, 2009 at 10:53 am -

‘new series will be similar to the Jetstar series previously aired on the Nine Network’

Wasn’t that from the UK and focused on Easyjet Airlines?

33. cpandilo April 6, 2009 at 10:40 am -

Neon Kitten,
    the Jetstar series on Nine was called Going Places. It originally aired in 2007 and was repeated last summer on late Sunday mornings.

I hope that this Tiger series is more like Airline and less like Going Places.

34. David Knox April 6, 2009 at 10:24 am -

These self-funded style shows usually air on weekend arvos.

35. Neon Kitten April 6, 2009 at 10:12 am -

There was a Jetstar-based observational series on Nine? Huh?

36. Mike K April 6, 2009 at 9:42 am -

This should be very interesting. Although I have flown with Tiger a couple of times and have had no problems, I know many people who have. Having said that, I personally get no entertainment out of seeing rude customers abuse staff for things that are not their fault, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out….

37. ducko April 6, 2009 at 9:39 am -

Do we really need another one of these?

38. Craig April 6, 2009 at 7:30 am -

OMG another new low in our viewing habits!