Good News Week bumps Supernatural

By David Knox on June 29, 2009 / Filed Under Programming 30

supernatural_3Good News Week could prove to be bad news for fans of Supernatural tonight, given that TEN has just extended the former by another 30 minutes tonight.

It’s the second time recently that TEN has made a late change on these shows. Last time viewers were pretty agreed the jokes on GNW were too good to cut.

The Late News moves to 11pm and Letterman to 11:45pm.

1. michelle April 19, 2010 at 5:53 pm -

I am disappointed with GNW because they never finish on time & fed up about it. I am a huge fan of Supernatural, make it fair for people especially when they are a huge fan of Supernatural. GNW should be on a weekend, preferred late so people can watch movies on tv aswell. Supernatural is 10 times better GNW, no offence to everyone that likes GNW. Hopefully when they put on supernatural on without complications than having to be cut off again. Make it fair!

2. kelz August 8, 2009 at 11:30 pm -

omg they should axe GNW ! bad jokes and host,runs overtime omg i hate it so much that i switch channels and smack my daughter.

3. BISENTO July 18, 2009 at 4:34 am -

Thank god for dvd recorders, as I can fast forward all the crap thats on before supernatural starts. Channel 10 wake up to yourselves if you don’t want to show it on at a more sensible time then hand it over to another network who knows what tv programming is all about. Channel 10 you suck.

4. il papa July 2, 2009 at 11:05 am -

GNW is so much better than its last incarnation – they got rid of the lame Sandman, Flacco and musical acts that made you want to poke your eyes out (as you waited for the “game” to continue) and the writing is much better – closer to when it was on the ABC. So 1.5 hours, fine, but tell us in advance Ten, so we don’t miss Supernatural! And be consistent – GNW has run to about four different lengths so far this “season” (1hr, 1:10, 1:20 and now 1.30).

5. Byron July 1, 2009 at 9:57 pm -

It’s hilarious that some of you are whining and calling GNW a stupid show. I like SPN, but what do you call a show about hunting demons? It’s not exactly brain food. GNW has garnered a huge following since its beginnings on the ABC several years ago. I thought Ten would murder it this time around like they did when they stole the show in 2000, but this time around they seem to be doing it right. I think the show is hilarious and love tuning in every week. If you can’t stay up long enough to watch SPN, then perhaps your curfew indicates you’re too young to watch such a show anyway.

6. gasbo July 1, 2009 at 7:19 am -

Most SPN fans I know have seen the S4 already, having to wait six months odd for TEN to air eps 9 to 22 was just too much

7. Christine June 30, 2009 at 11:49 pm -

I hate GNW, the jokes are horrible!! Supernatural and Letterman is the only good things on 10 I look forward to now that the Office & Dexter is gone!!

8. Jacket June 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm -

I am really enjoying this seasons Supernatural…. the story is wonderful … but I do hate having to sit thru the rubbish on GNW…… I find some of the ‘jokes’ and comments very distasteful .

9. Anthony June 30, 2009 at 7:57 am -

I’m sick of going to bed late cause GNW always always runs overtime. I love Supernatural. But GNW is just a stupid show. People say its funny. All it is is a bunch of people sitting around telling bad jokes forcing the audience to laugh and dumbing them down. I thought GNW was cancelled a few years ago. Do we need stupid reality tv so badly in this country we have to be forced to watch this crap.

10. Big T June 30, 2009 at 7:03 am -

There seemed to be a helluva lot of ads during GNW – No wonder TEN’s happy to have deluxe episodes if it can sell the space so easily. :-)

11. Zelda June 29, 2009 at 11:20 pm -

Having watched GNW for the first time in ages tonight I really enjoyed it. Dont like supernatural so cant comment, but an ocassional 90 min ep is never bad if they let people know. This short notice thing isnt good.

12. Katrina June 29, 2009 at 7:12 pm -

I’m getting kinda sick of it. 9-40pm, is late enough as it is for a Monday night anyway. GNW does not own the tv, although they apparantley, they think do. GNW usually, always overruns 10 minutes….that’s enough!

GNW does not need an extra 30 minutes. I personally think GNW has gotten too big for their own good. KIt’s pretty unfair to the other shows. I say get over yourselfs GNW, sure it’s funny. but…really? What makes this okay?

13. Kaz June 29, 2009 at 6:57 pm -

i am glad SPN is on Ten, and it is suited to the Ten Network – i want it to stay on the Ten network, i just wish it was on another night with another show at a better time.

When it went from going up against Desperate Housewives to something else awhile ago, the ratings went way up…now with it being up against Brothers and Sisters and after Desperate H/wives and with the times all screwed up, what chance does it have? It has big potential, – The US proved that with this Season. i just want it to be able to reach it here.

14. Southpatt June 29, 2009 at 5:28 pm -

I just set the recorder to 2 hours to get Supernatural. I used to Love GNW in it’s last incarnation but I find this show lacking – notably… Variety acts

15. Matthew See June 29, 2009 at 4:54 pm -

Thanks for the warning.

16. Ruby June 29, 2009 at 4:39 pm -

Supernatural is more easily accessible, so people should just realise this and get over it! GNW hardly ever gets recognition it deserves.

17. Anita June 29, 2009 at 3:59 pm -

I enjoy Good News Week and as I am now back from interstate this extension is nowhere near as upsetting as last time when my tape missed the last 20 plus minutes of Supernatural.

Not sure if fully extending Good News Week on a permanent basis is definitely the right way to go though because unless the guests are really entertaining the concept will fall completely flat and viewers may not bother to stay the distance.

18. Kubz June 29, 2009 at 3:47 pm -

@ Kaz
    If Supernatural had been on any other network it would have been shafted to the graveyard slot a long long time a ago.

19. Mandy June 29, 2009 at 3:43 pm -

I reluctantly gave up on FTA Supernatural this year after missing taping the end of an early episode despite setting the program for significant overrun..waiting for the DVD now.

They should be careful about letting GNW bloat regularly, that’s one of the reasons it died last time, pushing its luck. Sure the occasional show may be wall-to-wall gold, but better to leave the audience wanting more than flogging the concept to death…oh hang on what am I saying? it’s commercial telly, of course they’ll flog it to death.

20. Sharnra June 29, 2009 at 3:10 pm -

OMG! you gotta be kidding me …why this happening from ten! I can’t stand GNW and alway overtime and getting sick of it. Wish supernatural start 8.30pm timeslot last year and why not this year!

21. Kaz June 29, 2009 at 2:45 pm -

No offence to anyone but i just cannot stand GNW – it is just in no way shape or form my sense of humour however Supernatural is my all time favourite show and has never been given a good chance to rate well by Ten.

While i am grateful for them showing it at all i just wish the night for Supernatural could change…i don’t feel GNW and Supernatural are fitted well together and i hate staying up that late when i have to get up early for work.

I seriously hate it even more when i have to sit through GNW waiting for SPN to start so thank you for letting us know.

Not happy but being the fan i am of SPN, i will still tune in even though i have seen these episodes before because Ten took so long to show them.

22. Jed June 29, 2009 at 2:37 pm -

I hate this. I love GNW but i also love Spooks and Brothers and Sisters. I can only watch one and record one. Me mum always records Good News Week so i’ve missed out on Spooks.

23. Nick June 29, 2009 at 2:15 pm -

Scrubs has been on before Heroes for quite a while now Steph. Don’t know why though, seems more logical to just leave Heroes at 10.30

24. bindi June 29, 2009 at 2:10 pm -

after last time i made my over-run finish at 11:10, but i still might shove it back to 11:20 when i get home just to be sure, knowing my luck then i’ll miss the start of 30 rock instead.

25. steph June 29, 2009 at 1:45 pm -

thanks for the heads up – looking forward to both…. glad that I know though – unlike with seven putting scrubs on before Heroe’s last week, what was up with that??? missed the end of a finally good episode!

26. Ryan June 29, 2009 at 1:35 pm -

Ten should make this a permanent change, its a good performer and holds it audience right through to the end. It would be worth it and help prop up Mondays even more.Supernatural does exactly the same figures at 10pm that it does at 9.30.

27. ryan June 29, 2009 at 1:22 pm -

i hate good news week but it rates so good move by ten! although i would like to see a simpsons ep slotted in after good news week!

28. George June 29, 2009 at 1:19 pm -

I hope GNW starts regularly becoming 90 mins in length. I love the show!

29. Jimbo June 29, 2009 at 1:13 pm -

I was at the taping of Good News Week and agree. There weren’t many ‘bad’ jokes. They were pretty good. Frank Woodley is a funny character

And expect a few Micahel Jackson jokes

30. Craig June 29, 2009 at 1:09 pm -

Good this I’ve seen the rest of the Supernatural season,

BTW great ep tonight and next weeks is even better!