Bye bye Hughesy and & Carrie at the Newsdesk

By David Knox on July 12, 2009 / Filed Under News 41

dhuTonight’s episode of Rove will be the last regular appaearance for Dave Hughes and Carrie Bickmore, now set to focus on The 7PM Project.

With Rove taking a four week break, TEN will fill the spot with an advance screening of Glee next week, followed the week after by a movie: Night at the Museum.

The new weeknight show will comprise much of the schedules for Hughes and Bickmore, who will join Charlie Pickering, James Mathison and Ruby Rose. TEN already has some clever promos running which give a glimpse of how the new show will look.

Both shows are produced by Roving Enterprises, along with Hughesy’s other TV regular, Before the Game. Hughes said he is sad to be leaving Rove but expects to be back in the future.

“I will now have a clear day just to be a family man, which is great,” the new dad told the Sunday Telegraph.

Agents are already being approached in the hunt for a replacement for Bickmore. In a show dominated by male personalities it really needs to retain a female presence (although we did love Bert reading the news last year).

(Corrected: Apologies to Petespace. Doh!)

Source: news.com.au

1. BOQ July 13, 2009 at 5:21 pm -

It is a shame they are going as they add a lil genuine humour (and a lil gender balance) but I promise that I wont shed a tear if Ryan Shelton is removed completely. He adds zilch and is just plain crap. Longer interviews could be good.

2. Goonies July 13, 2009 at 1:54 pm -

@ geoffski, couldn’t have put it better myself !

Hopefully she bombs on the 7pm Project and is permanently removed from my tv.

3. Tony July 13, 2009 at 10:37 am -

I doubt Carrie will be gone long. They’re such a bunch of no-talents on that 7pm show, it can’t possibly last. Myf only has one talent and that’s to be herself.

4. Camo July 13, 2009 at 10:31 am -

i like the idea of not replacving Dave hughes and have long interviews…but i also agree that a female presence is needed…now if Rove reads this, start an internet audition online on Rove daily and get someone fresh and new, Carrie was fresh and new to most of us, and was great if Myf gets the gig i will turn off, i like her but dont think she is funny and natural enough for this role, and when all is said and done its a 2 min spot then sitting on a couch…so get on with the Youtube audition comp…that would be great, then we can all have a say

5. David Knox July 13, 2009 at 1:48 am -

Try Airways.

6. bindi July 13, 2009 at 1:24 am -

myf warhurst was terrible when she replaced carrie, the delivery was terrible and you could tell she was just reading the lines from an autocue. celia was kind of funny but she was trying too hard, that style of rambling looses something when it is over rehearsed. i’ve never liked rebel wilson. corrine grant left for the glasshouse didn’t she? that’s over so she should come back, corrine was great and she’s been on GNW a bit lately so she doesn’t appear to have anything stopping her from appearing on channel 10.

7. Nick July 13, 2009 at 12:22 am -

You know who they should get as a replacement?? Who remembers the ‘Real Stories’ presenter Jennifer Adams? She’s be perfect for the news desk segment. The way she read was very funny, with all those parody current affairs

8. Rach July 12, 2009 at 9:53 pm -

Don’t put that Celia girl on – she had a good 3 minute slot on Rove the other week and died badly. I’d like to see Rebel Wilson do a Tina Fey type ‘Weekend Update’ sketch each week.

9. Andrew July 12, 2009 at 9:46 pm -

Give Nikki Osborne the job!

She has the experience, she’s a Melbournite, she is appealing to all demographics and also she’s a new mum and now a blonde!

10. Dean July 12, 2009 at 9:28 pm -

Yay………Glee

11. Michael July 12, 2009 at 8:36 pm -

If the 7pm project was on channel 9, it wouldn’t make it to tuesday.

12. The_Hellion July 12, 2009 at 8:01 pm -

I give it 2 – 3 weeks before the axe drops!

13. ali July 12, 2009 at 7:33 pm -

Myf needs a job…….lol

14. John July 12, 2009 at 6:16 pm -

Yeah agreed the latest and worst replacement for Corrine Grant to date was that new girl who even made Rove look like a comedian.

15. GuanoLad July 12, 2009 at 4:49 pm -

I’m expecting the 7PM Project to be a mini-The Panel, though not as narrow. If so, it’s big shoes to fill, but if it gets a good chance to find its feet it could work well.

16. tasmanian devil July 12, 2009 at 4:48 pm -

I think Celia Pacquola must be replacing Carrie. After all, she already has her own segment on the show.

17. jezza July 12, 2009 at 4:43 pm -

Will the 7pm project be live?

18. michael*oz July 12, 2009 at 4:19 pm -

The Yellow Pages “1234” sock puppet would be funnier than Carrie Bickmore…..so she’ll be easy to replace……

19. Steve July 12, 2009 at 1:34 pm -

I;m sorry to be negative and I want to see this 7PM show do well, but I have nervous feelings for it. To me it just seems like a mini rove show on every night and I just can’t see it being a ratings hit. But I’m willing for the show to prove me wrong.

20. Tepee July 12, 2009 at 1:02 pm -

Bert was Gold when he filled in at the newsdesk. Pity he’s tied up with 20 to 01 and Nine.

21. David Knox July 12, 2009 at 12:53 pm -

Yes thanks all for pointing out the ‘Petespace’ error. Guess who hates working late on Saturday nights!!!

22. Sharpy July 12, 2009 at 12:24 pm -

So this explains why they invented that new “Corrine Grant” spot last week for that commedienne… she wasn’t all that funny unfortunately…

23. David July 12, 2009 at 12:14 pm -

hehe…Pete Hilliar has already had enough bad news this week with the axing of his radio station….doesnt need more at the mo :)

you are allowed the occasional slip up david…..you do a great job here and I love reading it several times a day

david…..yep another one

24. catherine July 12, 2009 at 12:13 pm -

Im going to miss Dave Hughes segment and Carrie was good as well, surely Myf would be perfect to replace Carrie. She has been on Rove already this year replacing carrie.

25. jezza July 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm -

No! Carrie at the newsdesk is my favourite segment!! Ten please dont bring myf warhurst on full time!

26. Ben July 12, 2009 at 11:28 am -

So 7pm will be the time slot for a lot of Uhhhhhh’s as Hughes tries to think of something funny. I do enjoy the guy but he isn’t the most quick twitted lad. I am very interested to see how this will do but not expecting huge numbers. Do we really need more panel shows?

27. jh July 12, 2009 at 11:24 am -

Corinne Grant used to be tight with rove yeh?
    Was there any particular reason we hardly see her on the show now?
    Focusing on standup?

28. Johnson July 12, 2009 at 11:19 am -

It’s sad to see Carrie leaving Rove the show because she gave some funny interpretation to the news items during the week which would otherwise not be mentioned in the evening bulletins. I guess that with her reading the news on the breakfast show on Nova Melbourne (where she is also assistant news director) plus her recording segments for Skybus service between Melbourne CBD and the airport each month, she needs the weekends off.

29. MR July 12, 2009 at 11:18 am -

Lets hope this new shop for TEN will work and breath some fresh talent to Rove on sundays.

30. Nathan July 12, 2009 at 11:01 am -

Oh excellent. Great news!!! But why would Petespace be going if Peter Hellier isnt. But please get rid of that too, and ryan shelton and rove’s interviews too. Keep Hamish and Andy and they should take over the show!!

31. scottstar7 July 12, 2009 at 10:48 am -

Get Celia Pacquola to do the news! She’s an awesome talent and the pre-defined structure might do her good after a small debut the other week.

32. Geoffski July 12, 2009 at 10:44 am -

Carrie Bickmore should be easy to replace…she added nothing to the show, just read out a few jokes that other people had written…a monkey could do what she did. I’m sure she’s pleasant to be around but that doesn’t equal ‘comedy.’ Anyways, if there is a slot opening on Rove for a female what about Cal Wilson or Rebel Wilson? They’ve both shown they’ve got comedy chops on Thank God You’re Here.

33. Carta July 12, 2009 at 10:41 am -

Doesn’t Peter Helliar write and present Petespace (not Dave Hughes) or am I completely mistaken? I wonder who Rove will get to replace Carrie? They definitely need a female presence on the show.

34. John July 12, 2009 at 9:37 am -

Well now that Corinne Grant has landed a gig on Seven can they still buy her back?

She was a big part of the golden era of Rove that involved funny skits etc with Pete and Rove.

Bring/buy back Corrine!

35. Matt July 12, 2009 at 9:15 am -

It will be sad to see Carrie go, but both work during the week on Nova so they do need to have family time. Considering both have young children.

36. NiK C July 12, 2009 at 9:07 am -

Hey I reckon, Myf would be a good replacement. She has done it a few times and has a following… would the ABC allow it??

37. TVTonightKiiD July 12, 2009 at 8:54 am -

I’m really gonna miss Carrie – she did wonders for that show. I’d always wait for Carrie at the Newsdesk… *crys.

38. Bogues July 12, 2009 at 8:18 am -

It’s sad to see Carey go, I loved her segment.

39. Andrew July 12, 2009 at 7:31 am -

I am going to miss Carrie & Hughes on Rove,but i am looking forward to the 7pm project.

40. Rutzie July 12, 2009 at 5:12 am -

Sorry to be a stickler David but Peter Helliar does the Petespace segment not Dave Hughes. I’m tipping they’ll try and get Myf Warhurst to fill the void left by Carrie. She’s filled in before when Carrie hasn’t been there. Does this also mean Rove might actually have longer interviews with his guests.

41. itsross July 12, 2009 at 5:06 am -

Why is Petespace going? It is after all Pete’s and not Dave’s…