Gallery: Michael Jackson Memorial

By David Knox on July 8, 2009 / Filed Under News 11

mj20America paused to remember Michael Jackson, entertainer and humanitarian, today.

Family, friends, music and showbiz industry and fans gathered at the Staples Center, the venue in which Jackson was rehearsing his comeback concert.

The gold coffin of Jackson lay before the stage in front of his family.

At times it moved from Baptist Revival Concert, to pop concert, to civil rights rally.

mj 5

mj21

mj22

mj23

mj1

mj3

mj4

Performers included Mariah Carey, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Jennifer Hudson, John Mayer, Usher, Shaheen Jafargholi, and Jermaine Jackson.

Speakers included Smokey Robinson, Queen Latifah, Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson,  Martin Luther King III, Bernice A. King, director Kenny Ortega, Marlon Jackson and Motown king Berry Gordy who received a standing ovation with the words “I think he is simply the greatest entertainer who ever lived.”

Rev. Al Sharpton gave a stirring speech on Jackson’s spirit including telling his children “your daddy wasn’t strange, he had to deal with strange things.” A tearful Brooke Shields shared memories of being in the spotlight from a young age. “Both of us needed to be adults early on. But when we were together we were little kids.” Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee said, “We understand the Constitution and we understand we are innocent until proven otherwise.” A resolution will be passed in Congress to recognise him as an American legend.

Sadly, Jackson’s daughterParis said, “Ever since I was born daddy has been the best father ever. I miss you so much.”

Inside the Staples Center both Seven and Nine had reporters on the phone providing early commentary to Sunrise and Today with Rahnee Safler and Peter Stefanovic respectively. All networks had to stretch and fill for at least 30 minutes while the service started late.

TEN picked up the CBS coverage and ABC had ABC (America) footage.

The event closed with a rendition of “We Are The World” and “Heal the World” by the performers who had been rehearsing Jackson’s comeback concerts, joined by the Memorial performers a children’s choir and the Jackson Family.

Michael Jackson 1958 – 2009.

1. Ruth July 9, 2009 at 4:54 pm -

I’ve been away for the week and missed both the memorial and the repeats. Does anyone know if it’s going to be shown again?

2. grasshopper July 9, 2009 at 3:20 pm -

from what I hear, with the record sales that MJ’s death is producing is enough to pay for that coffin by the time i get done writing this comment

3. Anita July 9, 2009 at 3:24 am -

I nearly switched it off when that Al Sharpton started ranting and raving, but, apart from that, it was a beautiful and gracious memorial to Michael, and my favourite highlight was seeing/hearing Brooke Shields there…

4. Todd July 8, 2009 at 8:02 pm -

Nathan you summed it up perfectly. It made me cry as well – especially Paris at the end – she tore me up! God Bless ya Michael – see you in the next life!

5. Kenny July 8, 2009 at 12:54 pm -

I think it’s also on 7HD at 7pm

6. Nathan July 8, 2009 at 12:13 pm -

It was absolutely beautiful. A perfect ending for such a great man. So many touching moments that even made me cry.

7. David Knox July 8, 2009 at 10:18 am -

7pm tonight on Nine as highlights, or 12pm today on Seven.

8. scottstar7 July 8, 2009 at 10:15 am -

Have the networks announced if it will be replayed in prime time?

9. Craig July 8, 2009 at 8:02 am -

I have only seen some of the recaps from last night but did record Seven and a quick review I was pi**ed when in the middle of a song they cut to the car carrying Jackson to the memorial!

What they couldn’t wait 2 minutes?

10. TT July 8, 2009 at 7:13 am -

A touching and moving memorial! Great speech from Brooke Shields and great performances from the greats such as Mariah Carey and Stevie Wonder.. The highlight though was the end, where Paris Jackson spoke of her father.. Broke my heart! We not only lost a superstar, we lost an amazing human being! Rest In Peace Michael!

11. Reubot July 8, 2009 at 6:21 am -

Can’t wait to see what the global ratings are like – this was the global media event of the decade.