MasterChef tops 2.1m

By David Knox on July 14, 2009 / Filed Under News 15

clockMasterChef Australia nabbed its biggest audience so far this year, topping 2.11m viewers for Monday night.

Whilst it blitzed the commercial competition, the public broadcasters fared a lot better. Top Gear managed a terrific 742,000 viewers, defeating How I Met Your Mother‘s finale at 707,000.

TEN won its second night of the week despite seeing a big drop-off in its audience after Lucas Parsons was eliminated from the kitchen.

Meanwhile THIS afternoon is struggling on just 233,000 viewers -even its former 4:30pm news used to track better.

Nine News Sydney with Peter Overton (294,000) was also a long way behind Seven News with Ian Ross (562,000). Nationally the latter boomed with 1.81m viewers. Nine narrowed the gap better in Melbourne.

Thankfully Sea Patrol was strong for Nine with 1.35m viewers.

Week 29

1. Michael July 15, 2009 at 1:11 am -

So does this mean this afternoon will be axed? oh its a nine show so it will be

2. RYAN July 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm -

lol i doubt ten would care about the uproar! simply put if a show wouldnt rate and you couldnt get advertisers in, i would axe it aswell. they wouldnt be a smart company if they didnt

3. George July 14, 2009 at 9:41 pm -

@Nick:

If they kept it in a 9:30/40 or 10:00 timeslot but on a different day I don’t think there’ll be a lot of uproar.. But if they put it at like 10:30 like I suggested then there might I guess. :P

4. mikeys July 14, 2009 at 8:29 pm -

This show is driving me crazy!! I now know how people who never watched Big Brother felt for the Winter months… *sigh*

5. Anna July 14, 2009 at 7:48 pm -

Wow! Great to see MCA finally getting 2 mil at least! MCA is great! I would be quite surprised if the finale on Sunday doesn’t get at least 2 mil. Hope MCA does get 2 mil for the big finale.

6. nick July 14, 2009 at 7:15 pm -

everybody lets dance in my house on saturday 8 noras way parramatta

7. matt July 14, 2009 at 7:13 pm -

who won it

8. nick July 14, 2009 at 6:39 pm -

oh god george can u imagine the uproar if Ten moved Supernatural. They’ve been very good to leave it there, despite its poor performance. If Nine and Seven were doing better than Ten than they’d probably be worried. Might be the case when MC is over

9. George July 14, 2009 at 4:34 pm -

TEN should definitely be very happy with MasterChef’s numbers, and even though the rest of the night dropped off a fair bit Recruits still did good business and the Debate was a oneoff thankfully.
    Supernatural.. That show needs to be moved. :P I reckon swap TEN Late News with Supernatural for a night and see what happens.

10. DAN July 14, 2009 at 3:59 pm -

who would have thought that a show om cooking could rate so well

nine must be dissaponted with THISafternoon i watched it for about 10 minutes the other day but turned off because andrew daddo is unwatchable

11. Craig July 14, 2009 at 3:34 pm -

The “How I Met Your Mother” final suffered from being postponed twice.

12. Jason July 14, 2009 at 2:25 pm -

I beleive next season OzTam starts measuring time-shifting, or at least I’ve heard that it’s in the wings, So How I Met Your Mother will have a chance yet.

13. slydoggie July 14, 2009 at 12:47 pm -

Do you really think Sea Patrol was strong? Not sure how many advertisers were after the 766,000 (56%) of viewers aged over 50?

David, you should make your TV Tonight Poll “How many viewers will Masterchef Finale/Winner Announced do?”

14. brissyguy July 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm -

wow, ten is going to have a good week. Hopefully the “poor” number for himym isn’t going to affect it coming back next season. I watched master chef and recorder himym, to be watched at the weekend :)

15. Jed July 14, 2009 at 10:57 am -

The finale is going to be huge.