Judith Lucy joins Rove

By David Knox on August 11, 2009 / Filed Under News 31

judithlExciting news today with confirmation that comedian Judith Lucy is joining the Rove team as a new regular.

“We are back live this Sunday and ramping up our 10th season! Excited to announce the first of our new cast members will be Judith Lucy,” McManus wrote on Twitter.

It follows the exit of Dave Hughes and Carrie Bickmore to The 7PM Project.

Lucy’s dry humour will be a perfect replacement in the absence of Hughes.

TV Tonight understands the team has also been auditioning for a new newsreader for the show.

Meanwhile Carrie Bickmore is reportedly quitting her NOVA 100 job as Assistant News Director to concentrate on her newest TV role.

Rove is gearing up to celebrate 10 years of the show (on Nine / TEN) in September, which will include a look back at some of the show’s highlights and guests.

The show returns 8:30pm this Sunday night with guests Katy Perry, Carl Barron and Judd Apatow.

1. Belinda August 12, 2009 at 2:14 pm -

Well she ruined The Late Show, but her appearances on Rove have been quite good so hopefully that bodes well.

2. Jenny August 12, 2009 at 10:10 am -

Why do some people dislike Rove so much? I don’t think he is the funniest man on earth but he suits the light hearted banter for that timeslot. I like Judith Lucy so looking foward to seeing her on the show.

3. Leigh August 12, 2009 at 12:08 am -

I love Judith Lucy, i’ll watch it just for her…. so funny!

4. Bella August 11, 2009 at 10:49 pm -

Another Perthie. I like Judith Lucy. But seriously cannot stand Rove or the format of the show.

5. Christine August 11, 2009 at 8:16 pm -

Just when I think it can’t get any worse….it does.

6. Steve August 11, 2009 at 8:09 pm -

I like Judith but probably not enough to watch Rove. Rove is bearable, I cannot stand Helliar.

P.S Give Tony Martin a show already!

7. Chris August 11, 2009 at 8:04 pm -

Yessss!!!! We haven’t seen Jude for a while now, it’s great to have her back :D

8. SJ August 11, 2009 at 7:53 pm -

I might actually watch the show now. She is ten times funnier then the blonde chick.

9. rattle August 11, 2009 at 7:11 pm -

… and yet another reason to avoid that show like the plague!

10. Kuttsywood August 11, 2009 at 6:54 pm -

I wonder who’s replacing Carrie…

11. Mike Retter August 11, 2009 at 5:15 pm -

Not a bad point Stan but I hope its not true.

12. Stan August 11, 2009 at 4:59 pm -

May you Rest In Peace, Judith Lucy. Because having anything to do with the most unfunny man on Australian television since Alan Jones does nothing for your career. It’s such a waste of a comedic life & it just goes to show she’s having trouble paying the bills.

Q: Judith, who would you turn unfunny for?

A: Rove… :(

13. Tepee August 11, 2009 at 4:54 pm -

Thank goodness Rove’s coming back, and I like Judith so it’s all good. I wonder if later in the year they’ll have a special retrospective show?

14. Mac August 11, 2009 at 3:04 pm -

She is our own Janine Garafallo. Great choice!

15. Mike Retter August 11, 2009 at 1:39 pm -

Jude Lucy is without doubt one of Australias best comedians. Her deprecating schtick and penetrating observations are tops. I just hope she gels with the format. Her last apearence on the show was great.

16. Mandy August 11, 2009 at 1:22 pm -

At last a reason to watch Rove regularly. Recently read The Lucy Family Alphabet, great read, made me love her even more. I hope she finds the right niche there. Like Shaun Micallef, she’s an outstanding talent that needs the right showcase to shine and be properly appreciated.

17. ryan August 11, 2009 at 12:15 pm -

i cant wait for rove to return!!! i have missed it over the past 4 weeks and my sundays are boring without it!! judith will be an awesome addition to the show!!

18. Pete August 11, 2009 at 12:04 pm -

Nice to see Rove picks his co-workers from the bottom of the pile. Judith has never been funny. Maybe Rove could hire Kyle Sandilands.

Ah well, I haven’t watched Rove for about 5 years now. I think my life is better for it.

19. Andrew B August 11, 2009 at 11:24 am -

Didn’t like here where she was on once before. Will have to see how she goes as a regular.

20. pietro August 11, 2009 at 11:13 am -

I love JL. Trouble is the rest of it is execrable.

21. Steve August 11, 2009 at 10:57 am -

No No No, Judith Lucy is probably Australia’s worst comedian, her constant toilet humour is a massive turn-off. Bring back Corrine!!! No reason to watch Rove anymore, No Carrie, No Hughesy, No me

22. Dr Rudi August 11, 2009 at 10:26 am -

No, this is a mistake. It really is swapping Hughes for Lucy – they’re interchangeable – right down to their voices. Isn’t there talent out there that has something new to say, or at least a new way to say it ?

23. Todd August 11, 2009 at 10:11 am -

Great news! I love Judith Lucy… and her stand up show was amazing. Each comedian has their own style and hers is so dry its fantastic. I just wonder if she’ll have her own little segment..? Like PeteSPACE and Carrie at the newsdesk.

24. Mike K August 11, 2009 at 10:07 am -

Yes yes yes!! I love Judith. This is great news David!

25. Will August 11, 2009 at 9:52 am -

Yessss! That’s gonna make a already great show unmissable now! saw Judith on a recent stand-up tour and she was non-stop hilarious. Little snippets of her comments during Rove (ala Dave’s appearances) will be awesome and a perfect fit.

26. Richard W August 11, 2009 at 9:29 am -

Noooo! Has anyone else noticed that all Judith Lucy’s can do it make up sarcastic style jokes? Boring!!

I suppose it could be worse. It could have been Claire Hooper from Good News Week. Her stand up shows are about as funny as paint.

27. jj August 11, 2009 at 9:16 am -

Judith Lucy gives me even more reason not to watch the show tbh. I haven’t found her funny from the first time I heard her on JJJ.

I just don’t get this show, I see Rove as a huge talent and a great host on 5th grader but his live show comes off as incredibly poor.

28. John August 11, 2009 at 9:07 am -

This is good news. Actually worth watching now when there are no decent guests.

29. Tony August 11, 2009 at 8:22 am -

Gee, Judith Lucy actually gives me a reason to watch the show! It’s a shame she’s not hosting the 7pm Project.

30. Nathan from The Extra Source August 11, 2009 at 8:07 am -

Great addition with Judith Lucy…much better than that try hard Carrie Brickwall

31. Andrew August 11, 2009 at 6:33 am -

Can’t wait for the return of Rove,he makes my Sunday nights entertainment.