Nine pins revival on new series

By David Knox on August 8, 2009 / Filed Under News 53

al2lNine may not be having the best of times lately, but it has several new shows to screen before the end of the year, and it will surely need them to take on its rivals.

They include the premiere of the local adaptation of The Apprentice featuring Mark Bouris and the next season of Aussie Ladette to Lady (pictured).

There is also a local version of Secret Millionaire in which wealthy folk mingle unknown amongst deserving groups in a bid to be philanthropic.

Factual series Money for Jam features Paul Clitheroe, Shane Crawford and Shelley Craft.

The Real Hustle is hosted by Gyton Grantley and looks at confidence tricks and scams.

Nine is also expected to return The Singing Bee, Flashpoint and The Mentalist.

Then there is the anticipated UK series Survivors about a group of bewildered survivors living in the aftermath of a devastating virus which wipes out 99.9% of the world’s population. This BBC series is a remake of a 1970s series of the same name.

Nine also has the 2009 ARIA Awards.

The shows follow on top of Nine’s regular programming including Farmer Wants a Wife, Rescue: Special Ops, Getaway, 60 Minutes, Hot Seat, Today and more.

Also sitting on its programming slate, possibly for 2010, are V, Underbelly 3, The Middle, The Forgotten, Past Life, Hank, Human Target, Rapid Response and the US version of Who Do You Think You Are?

1. serenity55 September 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm -

What channel 9 & a lot of town people don’t realise is that country people can’t get GO so when 9 moves things to GO, usually the stuff we like, we miss out & get stuck with the crap.

2. JJ August 26, 2009 at 7:05 pm -

Do we have any local people who could do that? I saw the ukk one on Youtube and they had a ex-cons (and a hot girl) doing the scamming.

3. David Knox August 21, 2009 at 11:05 pm -

Presented by Gyton Grantley but I suspect with a mix of local and buy-in footage.

4. JJ August 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm -

i like the look of The Real Hustle but I agree that Channel 9 doesn;t give shows a chance before moving them to midnight or chancelling them offhand.

Who is in The Real Hustle?

5. mikeys August 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm -

*scoff* yeah good luck with that list of hot new shows Nine… please continue to televise complete rubbish, we clearly love it so very much.

6. jack August 9, 2009 at 2:03 am -

I cant wait for Underbelly 3 its like one of Nine’s best shows!

7. Doctor Ry August 9, 2009 at 1:43 am -

V and Survivors are all I would be interested in, and those two will go the way of all sci-fi in Australia…two episodes before shuffling around the schedule. I’ll wait for the DVDs

8. jack August 8, 2009 at 11:51 pm -

i wouldn’t watch any of these shows simply because channel 9 are unlikely to keep them on air very long, and i encourage everyone else not to either. the main reason i stumbled across this website a year ago this month is because i was searching for reasons as to why all my favourite shows were disappearing. its great to have this site that informs us of all of nines shoddy last minute changes these days. its been a long time since we had tv guides that networks stuck to! even if there was a title that interested me, its not worth checking out because i will become hooked only for nine to remove it a week later.

9. paull August 8, 2009 at 11:16 pm -

What’s the bet that at least 2 of these shows will be axed within a couple of weeks because they ‘aren’t performing as expected’

10. Verity M August 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm -

Looking forward to the apprentice.
    Hoping Fremantle can do to it what it did to the masterchef format

11. Fraggle73 August 8, 2009 at 8:43 pm -

Looks like GO! has better programs on it than 9.

12. 6589CHB8 August 8, 2009 at 8:10 pm -

As long as Nine keeps to good rating on such as 60 minutes, underbelly, sea partol, cold case, csi, the mentalist, getaway, farmer and put this high rating show at a better time slot then that might help. Try to find a replacement for two and half men maybe new family drama or reality series at 7.00pm sick of that bs, and try to establish audience before pulling show off the network.

13. Frontman August 8, 2009 at 7:16 pm -

David, it was a typo but adBERTisting did actually come out well.

14. Harry August 8, 2009 at 6:50 pm -

I dont know whats wrong with Channel 9.. Survivors sounds interesting but doubt I can sit there and watch only a few people rebuild a world routinely. Mentalist/Underbelly are the only 2 things Nine should be happy with.

15. RichoTB August 8, 2009 at 5:55 pm -

The Mentalist is the only decent thing on this schedule and even then Nine will drive away viewers with those silly objectifying ads of Simon Baker being called the “dreamiest man on television”. Way to alienate your male, non-homosexual audience from what is otherwise is a decent procedural.

These other shows will tank, Secret Millionare and Ladette to Lady will go the way of Australia’s Perfect Couple and homeMADE. The Aussie Apprentice may turn out to be a surprise hit but I doubt it. Surprised they’re giving FlashPoint another go, it bombed last time. Like others I’d expect a return on GO.

As for their US imports, they look like duds. Past Life and Human Target won’t last beyond a season. Judging from Nine’s treatment of sitcoms that aren’t by Chuck Lorre, Hank and The Middle will be lucky to survive.

Apart from Underbelly, 20 to 1 and 2.5 men Nine really are lost. It doesn’t look like things will improve based on these shows.

16. Michael August 8, 2009 at 5:49 pm -

Yeah and good luck with that.

17. Someone BBBA August 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm -

Survivors sounds like it might be pretty good, but I can’t see it being a big hit. The Australian audience generally can’t handle programs which break apart from their insular little world of cop and legal dramas.

18. mac August 8, 2009 at 4:14 pm -

how many crappy realty shows does nine need to air until they realise that they don’t rate well. after a few weeks on the air most of these shows probably will be cancelled, leaving nothing new to air, flashpoint probably would have rated well had nine aired the eps in order so that will probably get taken of again as well. the only show with a chance here is basically the mentalist, which i believe rated reasonably well in the past. i’m sure we will be seeing a huge amount of line up changes for the rest of the year by nine, as most of these shows fail one by one, and then being replaced with more repeat of men, when are new eps going to start airing again david?

19. mac August 8, 2009 at 4:09 pm -

20. Cleavy August 8, 2009 at 4:05 pm -

Who the heck is Mark Bouris?! never heard of him!

21. kel August 8, 2009 at 3:58 pm -

I would just like channel nine to put a program on and stick wiit it, I hardly watch nine anymore because shows I love to watch are on one week and gone the next….I hope they pull it together and get something on that will stay on

22. brisvegas August 8, 2009 at 3:50 pm -

V catches my eye, but seeing as 9 has a poor tract record with sci-fi / any show i get an interest in – i think I’ll avoid watching it on tv and just download it – unless however they put it on Go and stick with it.

The majority of the rest of the line-up seems like a lot of rubbish.

23. tomothy August 8, 2009 at 3:26 pm -

So the Chk Chk Boom girl isnt going to be the host for Real Hustle? Thank god. If its the UK series, I wont be watching unless they are eps that havent aird on Foxtel.

24. wamdue August 8, 2009 at 3:16 pm -

new shows? I most be missing something

The Apprentice (local remake of US format)
    Ladette to Lady (local remake of UK format)
    Secret Millionaire (local remake of UK format)
    The Real Hustle (local remake of UK format)
    The Singing Bee (local remake of US format)
    Flashpoint (Canadian remake)
    The Mentalist. (US import)
    Survivors (UK import)

so new is not defined as “import and local remake of reality show” ?

25. Tepee August 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm -

The only show which I’m actually looking forward to is, well, Ladette to Lady. Which says a lot about the rest of their line-up. Money for Jam could do well given the GFC, but the rest is very dubious. Surely Nine can do no worse than how they’re doing now.

26. Andrew August 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm -

Apart from V (which will probably head straight to GO!) and perhaps Underbelly 3 there isn’t really much to look forward to in this lot. Just seems to be more short-form reality shows.

27. par3182 August 8, 2009 at 1:21 pm -

How the hell did Aussie TV survive before Gyton Grantley came along?

28. Danny August 8, 2009 at 1:13 pm -

@ Jed singing bee didn’t fail last year, but it will if nine keep stuffing it around… What happened to coming soon promos? It is one I do enjoy!

but yes I agree with the majority, very poor and cheap line up.

29. George August 8, 2009 at 11:57 am -

So if this is what Nine will rely on to keep their ratings going then they obviously have no clue at all do they?

30. Mike August 8, 2009 at 11:43 am -

Terrible lineup of shows. The only one I’d be possibly interested in is Survivors.

31. Neon Kitten August 8, 2009 at 11:10 am -

Bindi, if Nine’s previous performance with Fringe is any indication, they’ll just do their own editing hack job on it to get its length down and remove anything that might shock the blue-rinse core audience of the channel.

Their disrespectful treatment of it drove me to sourcing episodes elsewhere long before they axed it from the main Nine channel.

Still waiting for the Nine staffer to show up as usual in these comments to tell me that I just hate Nine and I’m biased and don’t know quality programming when I see it. Guess we’ll have to wait till Monday, since they don’t get paid overtime any longer ;)

32. PD August 8, 2009 at 11:09 am -

I thought The Apprentice ship had sailed years ago, but I’m a sucker so I’ll give the Australian version a shot.

I’ve watched a couple of those quick previews for Money For Jam on Channel 9′s website and I still can’t get past how strange that title is. “And that’s another way you can save Money for Jam.” … is this really an expression that everybody in Australia but me uses?

The most disappointing part of this line up is they don’t seem to have saved a spot for more Commercial Breakdown: Adults Only edition … which is a damn shame…

33. Zambora August 8, 2009 at 11:01 am -

New shows – nah.Looks like More of same rubbish to me.
    Can I have the odds please on shows lasting more than 2 weeks in same timeslot ?

34. Tom Morgan August 8, 2009 at 10:59 am -

What about hey hey its saturday? might not be the best line up but nine is tryin so we have to give them a little bit of a thumbs up. Nine, we’re in the middle of a recession. I dont think people want to watch millionaires giving away cash. it makes all of us look like losers. as for the other shows, i think nine is making a recovery. 2008 gave nine a little hope as they did quite well but masterchef on ten plus homemade and apc both being flops meant nine derailed a bit. Nine cant win on this line up, especially with seven’s, but it can at least try to.
    well done channel 9

35. Belinda August 8, 2009 at 10:58 am -

They mention Hank, but not Community? Looking forward to Survivors (if it ever shows up) and will check out The Apprentice, but I’m not expecting much. Hope they treat V right.

36. David Knox August 8, 2009 at 10:38 am -

Travis, after Nine told me this week When I Grow Up pilot may not get picked up I left it off the list.

Scammers = The Real Hustle, a mix of Aus and international scams.

Frontman: adbertising…. a new Nine buzz word for adBERTising? Lol.

37. Michael August 8, 2009 at 10:33 am -

Keeps on getting better and better all the time…

LOL @ Richard Wilkins comment

38. T-Mac August 8, 2009 at 10:31 am -

Where’s Scammers?

39. Michael August 8, 2009 at 10:19 am -

Not much interest in that load. Nine is really the equivalent of NBC (which stands for Never Been Cr@pier) if you look at what they serve up US audiences!

40. Ted August 8, 2009 at 10:12 am -

If that’s all they have, I pronounce the patient dead!

41. Frontman August 8, 2009 at 10:04 am -

Hmm, The Mentalist and Flashpoint are OK. (Maybe Underbelly as well)
    The rest, is just trashy crap TV which is cheap to make (and it shows).

When will CH 9 get their act together before they go out of business due to lack of adbertising revenue.

42. Benno August 8, 2009 at 9:51 am -

The content isn’t Nine’s core problem. It’s the programmers and their inability to let an audience grow through sticking with a consistent schedule.

43. Brodie August 8, 2009 at 9:49 am -

Doesn’t sound very promising.

44. Jed August 8, 2009 at 9:34 am -

The Singing Bee, Flashpoint, both failed. Ladette to Lady failed. And in this economy, do we really want to watch a millionairre pretending to be one of us common folk. Not one of them shows appeals to me

45. bindi August 8, 2009 at 8:53 am -

mostly it’s just more of the same but i might give survivors a chance now that they have GO! as an insurance policy, hoping V will start out on GO! coz i don’t think 9 will have redeemed itself enough in that time for people to watch it on 9. need to know more about the plots of some of the others before i decide if i’ll watch or not. also i just realised that the pilot of fringe is not going to fit into the 1 hour slot 9 has given it, are they spliting it in two or something?

46. Ruth August 8, 2009 at 8:44 am -

Nothing startling in that line up for 9 !! I think 7, 10 and the ABC have much more interesting content.

47. Travis August 8, 2009 at 8:28 am -

Plus When I Grow Up.

48. Scott Richard August 8, 2009 at 8:15 am -

Can’t wait for the Apprentice!!!!!!

49. Andrew B August 8, 2009 at 7:57 am -

Only two shows there I really look forward to: the Mentalist, and V.

50. Craig August 8, 2009 at 7:23 am -

Nine does have a few good things coming, Underbelly and The Mentalist are a givens but I don’t see Flashpoint coming back, maybe a move to GO!.

V looks interesting with updated CGI but scifi never seems to work on Nine. Again maybe it will go strait to GO! after a Sunday Premiere on the main Nine channel. Survivors is good and the upside is it’s only 6 parts so might do it’s run on the main channel but the promos have vanished so it might turn into another Primeval.

Speaking of when will Primeval come back, I thought it might be on GO! but nothing yet, and while on the what of the remaining Everwood, Joan of Arcadia and Gilmore Girls making a nice combo one night on GO!?

51. ajf47 August 8, 2009 at 7:16 am -

Is The Real Hustle an australian version of the UK series or is Gyton Grantley just narrating clips from the other show?

52. David @ Green Point August 8, 2009 at 7:04 am -

What a poor lineup of shows. This item should be read with the Funeral March playing softly behind.

53. Neon Kitten August 8, 2009 at 5:31 am -

Wow, what a lineup. Of absolute garbage.

The one exception there is Survivors, which is actually very good. And even better when seen without ads and a great big watermark, as those who acquired the BBC version already know :)

Incidentally, I shudder just thinking about what Nine will do to the ARIA Awards. And I suspect potential nominees are already planning their strategies for avoiding Richard Wilkins, lest they suddenly be announced as dead.