Asher Keddie for TEN telemovie

By David Knox on September 21, 2009 / Filed Under News 12

akOne of the busiest producers in the biz, John Edwards, will co-produce a contemporary telemovie for Channel TEN, Offspring.

Asher Keddie (Hawke, Rush, Love My Way, Underbelly) will star in a story of the impossible loves of 30-something obstetrician Nina Proudman, and her fabulously messy family, as they navigate the chaos of modern life. Kat Stewart (Tangle, Underbelly, 30 Seconds) will star as her wild sister Billie. Don Hany (Underbelly, East West 101, White Collar Blue) is also confirmed for the project.

Filming of the Southern Star project begins next Monday in Melbourne.

Edwards will co-produce with his Tangle co-producer, Imogen Banks (Dangerous), and the tale will be directed by Kate Dennis (Rush, Love My Way, The Secret Life of Us) from a screenplay by Debra Oswald (The Secret Life of Us, Police Rescue and theatre production Dags).

“It’s a joyous story with a dream team cast. Can’t wait to get started” said Edwards.

Imogen Banks added, “We are thrilled to be making this buoyant, romantic comedy set on the streets of Fitzroy.”

Rick Maier, TEN’s Executive Producer, Drama and Production said, “Brilliant cast, equally brilliant script. It should be a fun shoot.”

1. Billy P October 18, 2009 at 9:37 am -

Is it just me or have we seen this all before? With the same producer comes the same old story, the same old actors, the same old……………
    Give us a break. Perhaps a network may one day be brave enough to allow someone else to produce a show for them – who knows, maybe we will see something with a point of difference, some different actors.
    Maybe I should give up and just keep watching East West 101.

2. Zemule October 7, 2009 at 12:14 am -

Point of interest, this is filming all this week at Mercy private hospital on Grey st in East Melbourne. Film crew has pretty much taken over the 3rd floor. Its interesting but is very annoying when you’re trying to work!

3. catbrain September 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm -

In case anyone’s interested, I received notification in the letterbox today that Southern Star will be filming scenes for Offspring at two private residences in Gore Street, Fitzroy (near the corner of Charles St) on Monday 28 September, between 7am and 6pm. The unit base for the day will be set up in the Peel St Council car park (on the corner of Oxford St, Collingwood).

4. dc September 22, 2009 at 12:08 pm -

It might b e different but it seems that the same people always appear on australian shows. Can anyone name for me one aussie drama lauchched in the last 18 months that didnt contain at leasst 1 cast member from the first series of underbelly. It seems to be a prerequiste these days.

5. jack September 21, 2009 at 10:53 pm -

I agree Adam- Asher is a fantastic actress and its great to see her staring in yet another top quality Australian production.

6. DanR September 21, 2009 at 8:23 pm -

Love Asher, a definite ‘to watch’ for me with her in it

7. ducko September 21, 2009 at 6:39 pm -

It may be different but it sounds similar. Will probably be good but is it really suited to Ten’s audience? I suspect a ratings bomb.

8. Peter September 21, 2009 at 3:26 pm -

It is very different to Tangle!

9. David Knox September 21, 2009 at 2:12 pm -

Agreed. Execution is everything. This is a different writer to Tangle.

10. Adam September 21, 2009 at 2:02 pm -

I dont think JE will prduce things that are the same DC, it has a brilliant cast, and is filmed in Melbourne, what more could you ask for. I am sure John will have something stunning up his sleeve

11. Adam September 21, 2009 at 2:00 pm -

Asher Keddie is the most under-rated actress. She is Brilliant! I loved her little stint in Secret Life and I fell in love with her in LMW and loved everything she has done since. This is fantastic news!

We cant wait until she is cast in a full time role like LMW again.

12. DC September 21, 2009 at 1:58 pm -

Ummm, John Edwards producing, a story set in melbourne about the lives of adults including two sisters with one of the sisters a bit wild and played by kat Stewart.
    I’m sorry, but how is this different from Tanlge exactly?????