Highway Patrol drives it home for Seven

By David Knox on September 22, 2009 / Filed Under News 16

hpSeven’s Highway Patrol had a huge debut last night, revving up to 1.7m viewers (or 1,699,000 to be specific).

The factual from Greenstone Pictures, makers of New Zealand’s Motorway Patrol which screens on Nine, is made in conjunction with Victoria Police Traffic Units. It was the #1 show of the night.

In Melbourne, following the Brownlow Medal Blue Carpet it pulled 637,000. But even in Sydney without AFL‘s big night it was the top show on 390,000. Brisbane was 283,000, Adelaide and Perth 195,000 and 194,000 respectively.

Seven appears to have a new local hit.

The network certainly had a huge night, soaring to a 35.7% share -even GO! will have its work cut out helping Nine to win the week after that victory.

If it was bad news for anyone, it was TEN. Its top show was TEN News at Five on 854,000. The network finished the night on just 16.9%.

Top Gear held at 924,000 for SBS.

Week 39

1. Bunker October 7, 2009 at 7:57 am -

Liked the show but watching it made me lose faith in humanity a little more. All these idiots out there, and it irritated me so much how polite and patient the cops were while treading them. They shouldv slammed the cuffs on them and hauled them in, instead of endlessly listening to their whining and complaints.

2. Paull September 23, 2009 at 10:11 am -

@Gronk: You aren’t that guy who was caught 3 times by the same officer for not renewing their licence and is now up to $900 in fines?

3. Gronk September 22, 2009 at 9:51 pm -

Considering the amount of monies I have given to the Highway Patrol over the years, I feel that I am owed a percentage of the shows profits.
    After all, I have contributed substantial amounts for this show already.
    And will no doubt contribute more…
    What’s my Chances???????

I also await for a show on Speed Cameras then we are talking a definite re-imbursement.

4. mrb September 22, 2009 at 6:39 pm -

Enjoyed it, expected worse and was pleasantly surprised.

5. Neon Kitten September 22, 2009 at 6:17 pm -

Its main problem format-wise, perhaps not surprisingly, was that Seven has forced the recap-recap-recap fragmented story-telling structure on it, a la Border Security, The Force etc etc.

Motorway Patrol doesn’t presume its audience is brain-dead like Seven’s shows do. I wonder how much Greenstone really had to do with the making of this one other than collecting a syndication fee?

6. DAN September 22, 2009 at 2:00 pm -

great show

7. Garion September 22, 2009 at 1:50 pm -

How did GNW go? I thought that was normally a high performer?

8. Tepee September 22, 2009 at 1:45 pm -

What a huge audience. I agree with Jerome – this would flow perfectly with City Homicide if it was still being shown on Mondays.

9. Paull September 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm -

Wasn’t a bad show, ill be taping it next week.

10. Robert September 22, 2009 at 12:59 pm -

It’s a good show well done.

11. critic September 22, 2009 at 12:43 pm -

this show just leeched viewers waiting for the brownlow

12. Brodie September 22, 2009 at 11:57 am -

Absolutely love Motorway Patrol so was looking forward to Highway Patrol. I’d have to agree with Guanolad in thinking it was just as good as the original. Looking forward to next week.

13. GuanoLad September 22, 2009 at 11:34 am -

Sports event night ratings shouldn’t count for the shows unfortunately placed against them. It’s an unfair, and one-off, imbalance.

I watched Highway patrol, and loved it. It’s just as good as the NZ version, though I hope it won’t always be about belligerent drunk people.

14. Andrew B September 22, 2009 at 11:19 am -

With a TBA coming up Wed 7.30 in October, there still might be some re-arranging of these factuals yet to come.

15. Jerome September 22, 2009 at 10:30 am -

argh, why couldn’t they have used it as a leadin to city homicide. that’s what it needed. to get the figures it ws getting last year. with border/the force.

16. mikeys September 22, 2009 at 10:17 am -

Pretty sad for TEN that the News is the best show of the night… Sure, TEN news is good, but it’s hardly must-see TV…