Premier Bligh for Celebrity MasterChef

By David Knox on September 2, 2009 / Filed Under News 36

abQueensland Premier Anna Bligh will appear on Celebrity MasterChef.

The premier Twittered about her inclusion, saying “I’m going on MasterChef. Still finalising recipes to showcase Qld produce – what are your ideas about Queensland’s best products? Any recipe hints?”

She told ABC Radio the show was a “great and unique” opportunity to showcase the produce of Queensland farmers, which in many cases already had an international market.

“I love cooking (but) I don’t get as much chances as I would like,” she said.

Her leak follows reports that Vince Colosimo, swimmer Eamon Sullivan, INXS’s Kirk Pengilly and Miss Universe Australia Rachael Finch are also up for the gig.

The news also undermines the announcement of the names in an extended 7PM Project episode tomorrow night (which is just what this site speculated about two weeks ago).

The show premieres 7:30pm Wednesday September 30th.

Source: news.com.au, Courier Mail

1. fiona hoad September 6, 2009 at 12:11 am -

Well David this this is your story, get it to Tracey Grimshaw on a opposite channel and whip it good

2. David Knox September 6, 2009 at 12:03 am -

Pretty sure she is doing this during Annual Leave to avoid this very issue.

3. fiona hoad September 5, 2009 at 11:56 pm -

Public servants including policmen can’t have second job so what makes Anna Bligh so different? Ruddie goes on Sunrise & gets elected, Anna goes on Masterchef and hopes that Queenslanders stop hateing her for the pathetic 1 metre deep Traveston dam that’s ruining the nations food bowl as well as killing the last remaining lungfish on the planet for the sake of her electrate voteing for her ‘cos they may have had to forgoe washing their cars on the steet every so often? When is Mastershef shot? On weekdays when Anna is being paid to represent us? Tell us Anna that the taxpayer is not paying in some way, shape or form, for this Gross spindoctoring that will have every meal your minders heave up on your behalf have us Queenslander vomiting at the very though of this disgusting plot to what I”m sure your minders have labeled a fast food political ploy to the idiot masses (me my self incuded as I love the first series). As a sucessful women with my own business, who by the way loves to cook for my family every night , please God, don’t let the regular punters allow Anna’s spin doctors have their say and let them concote the receipe that a voters vote is through light entertainment (think K Rudd PM on Rove too now for another example!) . Give us the benefit of the doubt that we are a whole lot smarter and see straight through their transparencies. To be honest this whole excerise just makes my gut retch. I am angry. What next , for the Labor party? Swannie as the new love interest at Summer Bay??? . For God’s sake grow up and concentrate on your job of running the country or give it to me so I can ! If you can’t take the heat Anna – get the hint, stay out of the ******n kitchen!

4. Craig M September 3, 2009 at 7:58 pm -

Where do they film it? Sydney?
    Maybe Ten can get Mike Rann from here in Sth. Aust. on there too.

Just as long as he stays over there when he’s done!

5. Matt September 3, 2009 at 3:45 pm -

Ten news ran a poll and 74% of Queenslanders don’t want her on. More than 2000 voted

6. Jason September 3, 2009 at 11:50 am -

LOL @ Kuttyswood! :D

This really presents a problem for the Qld Libs (or are they Nationals?) when the incumbent is getting free promotion on what is sure to be a hit TV show, whilst I don’t think people even know who the Qld Opposition Leader is (I don’t – though I don’t live there!) Media Watch will have a field day with this I reckon!

7. Russell September 3, 2009 at 11:17 am -

KRudd made TV his biatch and got to be PM!
    No suprise he has likely rewritten the Labor “How to” handbook chapter on PR and popularising to the bleating masses.
    Anna is just the pointy end… expect a lot more of it!

8. Richard September 3, 2009 at 9:03 am -

The whole celebrity concept is just going to kill the ratings for season 2 next year I think. Added to this, is my prediction of more product placement and advertising in the show. I loved season 1, please Ten, don’t play around with a winning formula!

9. Michael September 3, 2009 at 8:23 am -

I suppose she’s up for the job, she’ll know how to stab people in the back strap. “Do you want me to flambe that Mr Preston?”

10. Mike September 3, 2009 at 12:07 am -

@ Michael: haha anyone in the labour party doing some actual work is almost unthinkable. Kev will probably be attending another lovefest with Rove and Julia won’t be far behind.

11. Jimbo September 2, 2009 at 11:20 pm -

So.. I wonder which other ”C grade celebrities” will be on.

Don Burke? Ed Philips? Toadie? Hugh Riminton?

Anna Bligh’s ok, i guess

12. angelsgal September 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm -

No probs David, I have a friend that works at Ten and she told me about the site, I check it all the time

13. Tash September 2, 2009 at 9:31 pm -

lol, im with Jed :p

I’ll only tune in for Eamon :) I hear he can cook <3

Though I did enjoy last season, even though i only watched the Sunday shows.

And it gives me something to watch on a wednesday :)

14. Ruth September 2, 2009 at 9:18 pm -

@ Craig H. This isn’t the place to be petty regarding spelling, I knew after I saw my post that I’d spelled Bligh incorrectly but what was the point in posting again just to say so……but seeing as you saw fit to correct me then I suggest you should check your own spelling of her surname and grammar………….. :-))

15. Kuttsywood September 2, 2009 at 9:17 pm -

This has to be the funniest thing since Brumby revealed that he wanted to do the weather… What next? Brian Burke’s Backyard?

16. Boy Wonder September 2, 2009 at 8:44 pm -

@Jed….I hear you! I must admit I never thought I would ever see the “Anna Bligh on Celebrity Master Chef” headline in my life, or anybody else’s life for that matter. But I trust the MC peoples as they appear to know what they are doing. I like Anna and am proud she is running our state, as best she can with all the dead wood in her party and previous govt’s. Can’t wait for this.

17. ryan September 2, 2009 at 8:20 pm -

@ ruth: lie to me starth either the 6th or the 13th oct

18. Michael September 2, 2009 at 6:44 pm -

It would be nice if a member of the Labor party actually spent 5 minutes doing their frakking job! Will Kev be in the audience with Kate Blanchet?

19. Zambora September 2, 2009 at 6:14 pm -

Looks like there is no need for extended 7pm project now.
    Cat is out of the bag

20. John September 2, 2009 at 5:56 pm -

Craig H the problem is perfectly put in Richard’s comment, most people don’t have time to make the kind of meals created on Master Chef due to busy work lives.

Anna Bligh the Premier of Queensland has enough time to be a contestant on a multi episode reality TV programme.

As if Julia Gillard on Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? wasn’t enough of an embarrassment.

21. Tepee September 2, 2009 at 4:51 pm -

Well at least she’s famous. Actually I’m quite surprised that TEN has got a current state premier and not some unheard-of MP.

22. Craig H September 2, 2009 at 4:07 pm -

For god sake people shes going on a TV show, she hasnt ordered the mass murder of a race or something, lighten up!! Im not a big fan of what Bigh’s (@ Ruth…if your going to comment on her, at least get her name right!!) govt is up to at the moment either but there are worse things she could do than go on a TV cooking show and, god forbid, try to humanise herself in the eyes of the public…

23. John September 2, 2009 at 3:46 pm -

Can she be, I don’t know, impeached?

As a Queenslander who suffered through Peter Beattie and now Anna Bligh I’m still capable of being suprised by the depths the state government can sink.

24. Ruth September 2, 2009 at 3:17 pm -

Qld has had enough of Anna Blythe and she knows…….from what I heard on Qld Radio she’s only doing the show to try and improve her profile.

Won’t be watching Celebrity Chef this time, and must remember to set my IQ to start late for NCIS.

Anyone know if ‘Lie to Me’ will be returning soon ???

25. David Knox September 2, 2009 at 1:45 pm -

Thanks Angelsal. Was a bit of a given, but good to have it confirmed by TEN.

26. angelsgal September 2, 2009 at 1:40 pm -

David, buyten.com.au confirms Celbrity MasterChef for Wednesday 30th September at 7.30 along with the Premier of NCIS:LA at 8.30 the same day. They’ll probably announce this tomorrow as well on the 7pm Project. The “Celebrities” are actually decent Celebs, funny how a show that attracts up to 3.7million people can attract half decent celbs, to boost there profile. No Hamish Blake atm, which is also good to see, he hogs 2 many comedy show, we dont need him cooking as well, though he’d at least make the show funny if he didnt try to take over it.

27. Jed September 2, 2009 at 1:28 pm -

I’d eat Eamon Sullivan… i mean i’d eat what Eamon Sullivan was cooking, yeah that’s what i meant.

28. mikeys September 2, 2009 at 1:19 pm -

Not exactly what I would class as a celebrity drawcard… Oh well, I won’t be watching anyway…

29. Michael September 2, 2009 at 1:00 pm -

It must be true Australia has no celebrities, just look at dancing with the sters, and now this partial line up of non celebrities, what a strange country we live in.

30. Jason September 2, 2009 at 12:40 pm -

@ Richard

I second your comment and I couldn’t care less if she is on leave the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth

31. Jasey Jay September 2, 2009 at 12:38 pm -

who are these people? why does australia have no celebrities?

32. James September 2, 2009 at 12:37 pm -

@Richard – not mentioned on here, but in the news.com.au article, the premier will actually be on annual leave while the show is filmed – ie – not running the state at the same time as being on the show.

33. Paul September 2, 2009 at 12:35 pm -

I hope her cooking is better than her governing!!

34. Reubot September 2, 2009 at 12:27 pm -

Anna is getting desperate…

35. David Knox September 2, 2009 at 12:24 pm -

It won’t be a whole series. Probably 2 or 3 appearances if she “gets through.” The format differs this time.

36. Richard September 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm -

Most of us workers don’t have time to even cook a meal after a long day at work and doing the other daily chores.

Good to see Anna Bligh has time to cook and do a whole TV series while shes running QLD at the same time!