Chris Lilley lands joint ABC, HBO, BBC series

By David Knox on October 2, 2009 / Filed Under News 21

cl2The ABC has confirmed the finer detail on Chris Lilley’s next series, to be titled Angry Boys. And it’s very bloody impressive.

Lilley has landed a co-production with ABC and HBO -not only an Australian first, but with an order for 12 episodes, 4 more than Summer Heights High. It will also air on the BBC.

Shooting in a mock documentary style, the series will explore ‘what it means to be a 21st century boy by putting the male of the species under the microscope.’

It will film in both Australian and overseas, with pre-production to begin on Monday. Casting for US performers went out this week.

Chris Lilley says he’s been writing the new show for a long time, adding, “There will be new characters and lots of surprises for the audience, and I’m really excited about having a longer-running series to work with.”

The ABC’s Courtney Gibson said: “The scripts are absolutely terrific: Once again Chris is pushing comedy and character somewhere really challenging and ambitious. Moving forward with HBO and the BBC as partners means the series will play on the world stage right after we premiere it here in Australia.”

Sue Naegle, President, HBO Entertainment said: “Chris Lilley combines a wicked sense of humour with fearless insights into human nature, which gives his comedy a universal appeal. We were thrilled to share Summer Heights High with the U.S. audience and are sure that Angry Boys will connect with our subscribers and the media.”

Angry Boys is a co-production between the team of Chris Lilley and Princess Pictures.

1. David Knox February 10, 2010 at 12:13 am -
  2. Dom February 10, 2010 at 12:02 am -

I can’t wait, but news on this show has been quiet for a while now. Any updates?

And yes, RIP Pat Mullins. What a woman

3. chris December 22, 2009 at 1:30 am -

I hope Jamie is in it” I am actally going to write a show based on summer heights high it will be called Private school Girls waiting for permission from Princess Pictures and Chris Lilley I have asked Chris Lilley if he would like to be a part of it and be a co-writer and still the created of the show so will be writer Chris Lilley will be co-writer and creator. what my series will involve a bitchy girl called S’amie King ”J’ámies kings twin sister who goes to a private school see the heading and the way it will work out is J’amie will end up coming to the same school ) Remember guys writing of the show will not ahead if chris lilley does not want to part or me do this so get a petition ready ” I know angry boys is coming out .. But this would also be a hilaours series which will bring many laughs to the world and the public if you would like more information please email me also I would like this to meet headlines for TV Tonight and get reponses for who is going to Rate and think Chris Lilley should take the proposal and write a new series S’amie King her long lost sister seperated at birth one living with Father S’amie ) and Mother J’amie

Thanking you Kind Regards

Christopher Wren

4. paul byrne November 25, 2009 at 2:33 pm -

Just saw Summer Heights High on RTE 2 television in Ireland.
    Excellent stuff! Chris Lilley is indeed a great talent.
    Looking forward to Angry Boys!

5. aussiebloke October 3, 2009 at 1:06 pm -

title sounds like a night at my local pub. Or just the streets of Sydney if Parra lose the Grand Final…

6. john October 3, 2009 at 3:09 am -

Cheers for Chris,cannot wait.He is a major talent,no doubt about it.
    I miss Pat Mullens……RIP.

7. mikeys October 2, 2009 at 5:41 pm -

Well done Chris!

8. Tepee October 2, 2009 at 5:10 pm -

“What it means to be a 21st century boy by putting the male of the species under the microscope.” Sounds very intruiging. ABC + BBC + HBO + Chris Lilley = big success.

9. Mark October 2, 2009 at 3:53 pm -

he is already well known in USA .. I was surprised how guys mentioned his shows to me.
    Great news for such a talent!

10. Mike Retter October 2, 2009 at 3:01 pm -

Brillient. I think he should have won the gold Logie but I guess thats voted by people who read Tv Week…
    Sounds great! The title made me think it was at a boys home and perhaps some of it will be, they get pretty angry there. Perhaps Thats where Johna is now after he burnt down the family home…

11. Elizabeth October 2, 2009 at 2:45 pm -

Fantastic news – this guy is brilliant!

12. Craig October 2, 2009 at 2:44 pm -

this is big, HBO and BBC are about as good as it gets…cant wait for this…

13. Ruth October 2, 2009 at 2:15 pm -

Wow what wonderful news, I really enjoy Chris Lilley’s work.

14. William October 2, 2009 at 2:14 pm -

I can’t wait, all of Chris’s other shows are fantastic, and I’m really looking forward to this one.

15. Tim October 2, 2009 at 1:37 pm -

Nice one Chris.

16. David Knox October 2, 2009 at 12:33 pm -

Courtney Gibson begins with Southern Star Entertainment in October. Her history with the Lilley brand probably allowed her to bow out on this high….just the way I am reading it of course.

17. Reubot October 2, 2009 at 12:30 pm -

I thought Courtney Gibson resigned?

18. Tony October 2, 2009 at 12:10 pm -

Can’t wait.

19. Rachael October 2, 2009 at 12:10 pm -

Looking forward to it. Love Chris Lilley’s work.

20. salf October 2, 2009 at 12:05 pm -

great news, there are not many shows these days that land joint ABC, HBO, BBC series. and even less that are primarily australian. the clesest i can think of is The Pacific, a joint between dreamworks, HBO and seven.

21. Jack! October 2, 2009 at 11:53 am -