Nine’s TV survivor

By David Knox on October 30, 2009 / Filed Under News 50

survivor-probstThis week TV Tonight has spoken to key figures in Australian television: Tim Worner from Seven, Kim Dalton from the ABC and David Mott from TEN.

Today Nine Programmer Michael Healy sits down for his first interview here, sharing his thoughts on upcoming shows, programming trends, television journalism and hints of new titles.

Foremost in his mind is the recent success in acquiring the Top Gear brand, which will continue to have its local series delivered by Freehand Productions.

“We have a lot of respect for what Freehand did with Top Gear Australia,” he says. “We’ve had quite a bit of discussion about how the show will sit on Nine’s schedule. I think we’ll work with them to give it a unique Australian voice, and look at the casting to see how it will tap into our commercial audience.”

Healy didn’t give away anything specific on casting, and at this early stage was even reluctant to rule out using any of the previous cast. But being keen to ensure it doesn’t “sit in the shadow” of the UK series he is mindful of how fervent the brand’s fans are, and was conscious of concerns about whether Nine celebrities would suddenly form the bulk of the ‘Star in a Bog Standard Car.’

“We have enormous respect for the Top Gear brand and I don’t think we’ll be doing anything to toil with it. All we’ll be doing is treating it respect. We have enormous respect for what SBS has done because they worked very hard to establish the brand in Australia so it’s softly, softly at this stage,” he says.

He tipped the brand would appear on Nine early in 2010.

“As soon as we can put it into the mix we will. From a demographic point of views it will certainly sit comfortably on our schedule.”

The third series of Underbelly is currently in production with new cast members including Sigrid Thornton, Natalie Bassingthwaighte and Mark Furze.

Underbelly: The Golden Mile is a cracking piece of drama, every bit as exciting as the previous two series,” he beamed.

“In tone it’s probably more like the first series than the second. I can’t say anything more. All I can promise is it’s every bit as good as what you’ve seen before.”

Amongst returning shows for 2010 are Domestic Blitz, Random Acts of Kindness, Secret Millionaire, Farmer Wants a Wife, Hot Seat, Sea Patrol and Rescue: Special Ops.

And then there is Hey Hey it’s Saturday

While negotiations are proceeding with Somers Carroll, a diplomatic Healy nonetheless was genuinely thrilled with the success of the reunion shows.

“I’m genuinely delighted with the performance of Hey Hey, for Daryl more than anyone. We’d been talking for a long time and it was great to see it finally come off. I think it’s fair to say it exceeded everyone’s expectations. Probably Daryl’s and mine as well. I’m personally delighted for him because he’s an incredibly professional guy and committed to his show. The attention to detail was incredible,” he says.

“We had lunch with Daryl last week and I would love to see Hey Hey as part of Nine’s schedule in 2010 in some form.”

Tipping either a block of episodes or a series of specials, Healy leaned towards a return for the show on a weeknight.

“We had an enormous amount of success with it on a weeknight so we would probably consider that a good signal.”

Nine is also pleased with The Apprentice Australia thus far, which has seen improved numbers in a difficult 9:30 slot.

“We tend to mark things very harshly here, particularly a first series,” he notes. “The Apprentice took 4 series in the UK before it popped. The BBC was committed to it. It wasn’t like it exploded onto the scene, it actually built season on season.

“It’s an incredibly well-produced show and Mark Bouris is very strong as an Australian Master in the role. We’re very proud of it and very happy with its performance. So we’d certainly be looking at the potential of a second series.”

2009 has also seen an abundance, if not a repetition of some brands, notably 20 to 1 and Two and a Half Men. But while Healy acknowledges the achievements of both, he hints at some shifts for the US sitcom.

“I think Two and a Half Men will continue performing extremely well until it ends in the US. That doesn’t mean we want to maintain it on our schedule to the degree that it is currently. Certainly we want to give it some relief and we’re working towards that in 2010,” he says.

“And 20 to 1 has just been, and I must recognise Bert Newton for this, an incredible brand for us. It’s a show that’s often written off as a clip show, but it’s much more than that. The team that puts it together are incredibly passionate and they work very hard to deliver that amount of content. It’s beautifully produced and very cleverly put together. You invariably sit there watching the countdown thinking ‘What is #1? What is #!?” It’s a very engaging show.

“I think we’ve seen other shows perhaps try to copy it and fail.”

In its 30th year, flagship current affairs show 60 Minutes has had a tough year. But Healy notes it has survived many threats before.

60 Minutes has had a lot of challenges over the years. Certainly MasterChef was competitive but we’re confident it’s a strong brand. Any challenges and hurdles it’s had it we’ll overcome and it will be firing on all fours again.”

Reality fans are in for good news over summer with Survivor: Samoa due to launch on the Nine, and not GO!

Next year Nine opens with the Winter Olympics. Amongst other new international titles are The Forgotten, The Middle, Who Do You Think You Are? (US), the US sitcom Romantically Challenged starring Josh Lawson, action drama Human Target, a new series from Supernanny‘s Jo Frost, and Gordon’s Great Escapes in which Gordon Ramsay goes to India.

“I think viewers will see Gordon in a very different light,” he promises.

More titles will be revealed.

The new sci-fi miniseries V will now go to air in 2010, after a decision to withdraw some initial promos.

“There was a moment when we were considering our options,” he admits.

“I understand the downloading challenge but I kind of feel that rushing it to air now, when we’re at the tail end of the year, that viewing audiences are starting to taper off. Brands are important to us and we want it to have longevity, so I don’t want to just throw it away.”

Nine programming is often maligned online, and in the press, as being too quick to cancel shows before they have bedded in. As Head of Programming, Healy’s name is often included somewhere in those sentences. They come at a time when the network has had to deal with changes in ownership, a downturn in advertising, a fragmenting of audiences and diminished US product. Yet with just four full weeks remaining in the ratings year, the Nine Network leads in 18-49 and 25-54 demographics.

“We’re a network that works to very high expectations in terms of our performance. There’s times when you sit back and go ‘Ok this show is better than it’s performing and you invest and you back something.  But ultimately if the audience rejects a show I think we have to react accordingly.”

He says Nine isn’t necessarily tougher now than it has been historically. What has changed is output.

“If you go back 5 years ago, 10 years ago shows sat on the schedule 40 weeks a year. You would have Hey Hey it’s Saturday for 40 weeks a year. Our House would sit 40 weeks a year. But what you see now is that shows are commissioned now in shorter blocks,” he says.

“We haven’t had a lot of money to splash around, but I think we’ve done a very good job. Certainly we’ve made mistakes, some colossal mistakes, but we’ve had some triumphs as well. The genre team here and the production team have done a very good job of ducking and weaving to get by. We’ve certainly had some financial challenges. And it is fair to say out US output has been lean.

“Nine seems to be marked harder than any of the networks and I understand why with the historical legacy and all of that. I think we’ve done a pretty good job of getting by and overcoming those hurdles.”

Excitingly, next year Nine also has two new local drama projects under wraps.

“We’re working on another Australian drama which is in pre-production at the moment and shaping up really well.

“And there’s an Australian telemovie that will go to air in the first quarter of the year. It’s got a cracking cast.”

But he was reluctant to give much more away for fear of upsetting key creative people, still puting together their wares. Television, he notes, is an emotional industry.

“The reason I keep going on about my sensitivity to Creatives around here is people put so much into what they do and things can be written or said in a manner that is very disheartening for people. So I’m sensitive to that and committed people are to what they do.

“What gets me down when journalists write pieces is a lack of understanding or a lack of respect. I’m happy to talk to somebody who comes to the table informed and with an understanding,” he says.

“What is demoralising at times is you read a piece in the paper that is written by somebody who perhaps doesn’t really have an understanding of the business and the profession. That’s hard because people listen to someone else’s spin. There’s a bigger picture and business at play. Treat the business with respect rather than putting people onto writing stories who don’t really understand it.

“You don’t need to go for the jugular just for a headline.”

1. Chris November 4, 2009 at 3:25 pm -

Wgeb are they goin to repeat the first episode of survivor Tocantins? i missed it and it wasnt on wednesday at 1pm.

2. KFed October 31, 2009 at 3:37 am -

Whether it is good or not, 20 To 1 is still a clip show …

3. franz chong October 31, 2009 at 1:06 am -

No Offence to the 2.5 men fans but sooner or later You have to bring back a game show to Channel 9’s 7pm Timeslot.I have a funny feeling that Kate Collins Adelaide ACA audience have been switching elsewhere at the end of her show since Temptation Ended at the Start of the Year.Not a good sign of ratings

4. Marco October 30, 2009 at 5:46 pm -

Whilst scheduling ‘V’ next year sounds better so that there is no lengthy break between episode chunks, why even begin advertising it on the main channel as “Coming in November”? It just makes the programmers at Nine look like a bunch of idiots.

5. tasmanian devil October 30, 2009 at 5:21 pm -

Amusing, how every interview of late just makes Tim Worner look like more and more of a dolt. Also, Bert Newton’s talent is wasted in 20 to 1. It’s an okay show and all, but Bert was meant for bigger and better things. I remember reading at the start of the year that Bert Newton was going to front some “Kids Say The Darnedest Things” type of show or something like that. What happened to it?

6. tmorgan October 30, 2009 at 4:44 pm -

I think 2010 will be a tight race for the two major networks. Nine will not win but will have picked up steam. I believe we can see nine win 2011.
    And i really think nines got a good line up this year.

7. Brodie October 30, 2009 at 4:34 pm -

@ Jay Jay. No I do not work for 7, nor do I have direct access to all oztam figures – otherwise I would state facts and not question convoluted figures.

It may well be a factual statement, I am merely questioning by which measures is it true. And like I said, there are so many different ways to report demos any network could spin it so it looks like they’re winning.

For example, Seven are leading the year in 18-49 and 25-54 6pm – midnight commercial networks only – and that is according to Ten’s ratings reports.

8. nic October 30, 2009 at 4:00 pm -

Isn’t “Nine Programmer” an oxymoron?

Another good interview though not as much fun as the one with Judith. Sorry, I hate to bash the network again, but Mr Healy states “But ultimately if the audience rejects a show I think we have to react accordingly.”

Perhaps he was not around for the era of Frazier, Friends, Sex and The City and other shows that went astray mid season or season hiatus and failed to return and we had to wait forever for either a new series or the final episodes.

Underbelly 3 – it seems almost guaranteed that this series will run it’s course well into number ? and Nine must be thankful for the one show that seems to do it some good.

I just find some of his statements a little out of touch and seemingly oblivious to what his viewers have expressed by way of audience figures.

The comment regarding Two and a Half Men is surely a joke, no? “…Certainly we want to give it some relief and we’re working towards that in 2010,” he says.

What the heck does that mean…

Same old same old at Nine for next year.

9. jay jay October 30, 2009 at 3:22 pm -

@Ben Tree – are you kidding me? Do you not watch The Simpsons?
    @Brodie – you either work for 7 or don’t have access to Oztam figures. Healy wouldn’t just be pulling these figures out of thin air. Give Tim Worner a call and he will confirm what Healy has said.
    I also doubt David would report that comment if it wasn’t factual.

10. vinny aka tvaddict0909 October 30, 2009 at 3:17 pm -

So that must be why they are putting so many episodes a week on, of Survivor Tocantins on go!…because they are showing the samoa one on nine.

I think it would be better on go! though.

Channel ten shows the simpsons every day, not much different to showing 2.5 men all the time.

11. Andrew B October 30, 2009 at 3:07 pm -

Rush is now actually rating less than Rescue Special Ops and it was renewed as well.

12. Jerome October 30, 2009 at 3:02 pm -

the part of that article i find most interesting is the new drama. i hope it’s a good one. 9 have made some shockers in the past few years and don’t have much luck with drama. maybe 2010 will be a turnaround?

it’s funny that these two phrases are in the same article:
    – Nine is also pleased with The Apprentice Australia thus far
    – “We’re a network that works to very high expectations in terms of our performance.

need we remind people that apprentice only got 750k, a significant drop from the previous week and didn’t win any demos.

13. Carissa October 30, 2009 at 2:52 pm -

Good news about the Apprentice! I love that show.

14. Vicky October 30, 2009 at 2:26 pm -

Survivor on ch 9 & not on GO!. Yeh right, I believe it when I see it.

15. Stuart October 30, 2009 at 2:14 pm -

david, do you know or discuss by any chance what has happened to the short drama series Survivors? there were a lot of on air promos about a month back and i was wondering if you had any news on it. thanks

16. Rick October 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm -

I’m unhappy when a program I want to see goes to Nine. Pretty much means I’ll have to get it by other means.

Worst. Network. Ever.

17. Trent October 30, 2009 at 1:53 pm -

I hate hearing that Nine are going to bring all these dull shows back next year: Domestic Blitz, Random Acts of Kindness, The Farmer Wants a Wife, Rescue: Special Ops, The Apprentice Australia. They don’t rate well. Nine need to be creating better local shows.

At least, they have Underbelly, Hey Hey It’s Saturday and Top Gear. Hopefully, they won’t mess around with these shows.

18. Brodie October 30, 2009 at 1:49 pm -

@ Jay Jay. And just where can we find these ‘official’ demo figures for the ratings year to date 6pm – midnight?

There are so many variations of reporting YTD figures; 6pm -10.30, commercial networks only, including / not including multi channels etc. Nine have previously included the summer non ratings period in their YTD figures to bump them over the line – I wouldn’t be surprised if Healy was doing so in the figures he is quoting.

19. par3182 October 30, 2009 at 1:36 pm -

“Survivor torches me,” he sighs. “I’ve always been a fan of Survivor and I would love to see it working again. It’s the granddaddy of all reality shows. I’m going to have another go in December. I want to get Survivor up.”

Here’s a tip to making it work again, Michael – don’t run it three months after its US airing. Your treatment of the show makes me think your later statement cannot be the slightest bit true –

“I understand the downloading challenge..”

20. Kelly Clark October 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm -

Of course it will work on Nine where do you think it was aired before we all went digital and had GO. Not everybody has digital yet.Looking forward to seeing it on Nine, although I am sure it will be chopped and changed as per usual!!

21. Benjamin October 30, 2009 at 12:36 pm -

20 to 1 is just a rip off of all the VH1 shows and when a network execubot says they have “enormous respect” they really mean “we don’t care”.

22. Ben Tree October 30, 2009 at 12:35 pm -

Just a few things i remember this time last year 9 said they wouldn’t be playing 2.5 men as much yet they have played it more than ever. If it still rates as high it will still be on just as often.

Those after Olympic Shows appear to be nothing special, if 9 think Gordon Ramsey can still rate they have got another thing coming.

Why would they renew Rescue Special Ops, the show has rated horribly for an Australian drama and it is really just a poor copycat of Rush.

Apprentice is only doing well due to the replays after Hey Hey giving it extra exposure. It is lucky.

Healy says that people have higher expectations for 9? I disagree, 9 seem to be able to get away with crap, if 10 played a sitcom or even 7 played a sitcom in more than 10 slots per week they would be given the biggest bagging. If 7 or 10 had a show like 20 to 1 and played it over and over again and used it as their lucky back up they would get a severe bagging.

23. jay jay October 30, 2009 at 11:58 am -

@Brodie, they are winning those demos according to official figures. If you have trouble believing that, look at the data. 7 win Total People – they do very well in the older demos which beefs up their numbers.

24. ben October 30, 2009 at 11:53 am -

how could you go that entire interview without questioning their treatment of curb your enthusiasm?

otherwise a good read, cheers.

25. Verity M October 30, 2009 at 11:48 am -

Brodie – I think Micheal’s point is that what is considered a “flop” is being re-evaluated by the network. Something that doesn’t premiere to over a million isn’t considered a flop. Instead they are programming with the future in mind and letting things build.

26. Brodie October 30, 2009 at 11:17 am -

In which category are Nine apparently leading the year in 18-49 and 25-54. I don’t beleive that is the case for 6pm – midnight of the ratings season.

So they’re renewing flops; Apprentice and Rescue, Top Gear Aus, and attempting to resuscitate Ramsay. Supernanny and Survivor. Apart from Underbelly that doesn’t seem like a very strong slate of shows for 2010.

27. Boy Wonder October 30, 2009 at 11:11 am -

“You don’t need to go for the jugular just for a headline.” Thats a bit rich isn’t it ? Tell that to ACA and 60 mins.

28. koverstreet October 30, 2009 at 11:10 am -

Interesting interview & great to see Nine have another aussie drama on the way to add to it’s already impressive stable in Underbelly,Sea Patrol and Rescue Special Ops. Young Doctors anyone?

Didn’t think Nine would be winning the 18-49 and 25-54 demos but good to see as they are the most important demos in terms of advertising revenue which is all that matters.

I’m assuming Seven are winning the 50+ as per usual.

29. Verity M October 30, 2009 at 10:51 am -

Bouris has been a good choice, I’ve been a fan ok the UK and US Apprentice & I really believe the Aussie version is superior.

30. Tom October 30, 2009 at 10:44 am -

Good news that the Apprentice is going to be back. Great show!

31. gerry October 30, 2009 at 10:41 am -

Interesting that he mentions Our House. Nine should really consider bringing back Our House (or something similar to Better Homes and Gardens), hosted by someone like Debra Hutton. BHG is always a solid performer on Friday nights, and it used to be on Tuesdays. Nine should bring back Our House to Tuesdays. Surely it would do better than whatever it has on now.

A lot more advertising needs to be done for a lot of their shows, espeically their news services.

32. Edu October 30, 2009 at 10:39 am -

I’m glad to know that The Apprentice is coming back for a second serve, I really like the show and good to know the human side of Michael Healy. It’s a tough industry to be in and with the audience more fickle minded now and with so many options as to where to get their entertainment fix, I don’t want to be in his shoes.

33. Rutzie October 30, 2009 at 10:37 am -

How he still has a job is beyond me.

34. Jules October 30, 2009 at 10:32 am -

how does this guy still have a job

35. Paull October 30, 2009 at 10:27 am -

Out of all the interviewees, this guy has been the best. Unlike seven which was so big head and boastful of itself, nine has been honest, and I applaud that.

36. T-Mac October 30, 2009 at 10:16 am -

Great interview David. In this interview, Michael doesn’t come across as the smug Packer puppet some people here have made him out to be. He’s certainly not as smug as Tim Worner…

37. Lewis October 30, 2009 at 10:12 am -

Well done David. Great interview.

I’d love to see Survivor on Nine. If they were to show it alongside the US it could pull good numbers I reckon.

Hey Hey will flop. At least I hope it does.

38. bindi October 30, 2009 at 10:10 am -

jay jay, I know that’s not innovative, I’m not coming up with innovative advertising ideas, that is their job. If they think real hard surely they can come up with ideas that are not that expensive but work, their business depends on it.

39. Ben October 30, 2009 at 10:03 am -

Fantastic news about Survivor, however as I mentioned in another post, if they keep showing nonstop double episodes, they’ll get through Tocantins and Samoa intime to fast-track All Stars 2 in February – which should be a ratings getter for 9. Hopefully a poor showing by Samoa over summer doesn’t halt those plans.

40. Matt October 30, 2009 at 9:59 am -

A strong line up ahead. V looks great, Top Gear is a favourite and the Apprentice is a very good show.

After the homemade escapades & australia’s perfect couple, 9 are finally back on track.

41. Agent 86 October 30, 2009 at 9:58 am -

“I understand the downloading challenge”.

Really? For some shows like “V” it is somewhat possible to stay “spoiler free” (especially as I presume the first “big twist” will simply echo the original series), but for shows like “Survivor” if you have access to the internet, you pretty much need to be watching it in tandem with the US otherwise you’re viewing is spoiled by the “world wide web”.

Still, I am enjoying finally seeing “Big Bang Theory” at a consistent time every week. And “Ladette to Lady” remains a source of great entertainment (even if I am reluctant to type that “out loud”).

42. Hamish October 30, 2009 at 9:46 am -

The Apprentice is probably the best show on tv at the moment. I was in the UK when the Sugar version launched and it battled with getting viewers. Bouris is a good choice, the show is very slick – It should be replayed over summer on a good timeslot and then should be made into a series 2

43. jay jay October 30, 2009 at 9:35 am -

@bindi – its call money. Placing an ad on the side of a bus isn’t innovative, its expensive!

44. jay jay October 30, 2009 at 9:34 am -

great humility from Michael. Good level of honesty and its good to see him admit some of his mistakes. I think a lot of you 9 haters need to take a step back and think about your feelings and desire to see a network fail. Its a really cruel attitude when you are dealing with people’s lives, jobs, creativity. Learn to be constructive.

45. James October 30, 2009 at 9:29 am -

The Apprentice is brilliant telly! Good on nine for sticking with it

46. Johnson October 30, 2009 at 8:49 am -

Great interview David.
    Even though I don’t watch Two and a Half Men, I am sick to see the program appearing on Nine’s schedule so often. So showing it less is the way to go.

47. Lex October 30, 2009 at 7:26 am -

Great interview David – Nine has been quite consistent as of late anyway and Michael Healy seems like he has everything under control.

2010 could be a great year for Nine with UB, Hey Hey, Top Gear and olympics.

Although Michael’s right about the US product – it is a bit lean.

I wonder if/when they’re planning a third digital channel?

48. Craig October 30, 2009 at 7:08 am -

No V until 2010, guess its ‘other sources’ then in 4 days time!

Good to see Survivor back on Nine but I don’t know if it will work, just leave it on GO!

And what can you say about TG/TGA “As soon as we can put it into the mix we will” WTF does that mean! I know they have the Olympic but surely they can bring it back in Feb, maybe then show classic eps on GO! during the games to keep the interest up and return after to Nine?

Again I will not be waiting for the butchered edited down version with new TGUK in just over a week, those frequent flyer miles are growing!

49. bindi October 30, 2009 at 6:25 am -

From what I’ve been hearing I’m looking forward to V, Human Target and The Forgotten, obviously I hoped 9 would not have them but I’m willing to still watch them on 9 because now I know if they do get pulled off they will be aired on GO!. But I hope it doesn’t come to that, I hope 9 treat them properly and put a lot of advertising work into restoring viewers trust. They need to advertise these shows not just on channel 9 where people like me will never see the ads, but also advertise online, on the sides of buses, at the train station, on the radio. I always see heaps of ads for 7 shows at brisbane central station, but never 9 shows, they need to start thinking more innovatively about advertising, find out what websites the target viewers of these shows visit and advertise where they will actually see the ads.

50. Michael October 30, 2009 at 5:29 am -

You have had busy two weeks David.
    I enjoy reading you’re site, thank you for all you’re hard work, it gives me great pleasure every day.
    Looking forward to V but thats it i reckon, im not a fan of 9