Welcome to 7TWO

By David Knox on October 24, 2009 / Filed Under News 73

LOGO 7TWOaWhen 7TWO launches at 12 midday on Sunday November 1st it begins with a five minute Welcome to 7TWO greeting. If it’s anything like the  “It’s Time” clip on the Yahoo!7 website, expect a rousing Gough Whitlam-like motivational start-up.

From there it launches into Michael Jackson: His Last Televised Concert followed by Disney movies, the first four eps of Scrubs, and three more movies across Sunday night.

Late nights on 7TWO the channel will screen AFL matches from as far back as 1999. Across Monday November 2nd there are more back to back movies, before The Jay Leno Show kicks in at 6pm, followed by still more movies on Monday night.

It’s not until Tuesday November 3rd, Melbourne Cup Day, the channel really moves into its regular programming with daytime soaps, and first run episodes of Ugly Betty and Reaper in the evening.

Heroes follows on Wednesday November 4th, with Season 4 which aired in the US in late September. American Gladiators also airs on Wednesday.

Thursday November 5 sees UK motoring show Fifth Gear (it’s just been given it’s notice in the UK), Stargate Atlantis. Friday night sees a local version of The F Word with Matt Moran while lifestyle shows air Saturday nights.

Unlike GO!, 7TWO does not run on block programming, nor is it aimed at a particular demographic. Its plan is to complement the primary Seven channel with alternative entertainment. It will even enjoy promotion on Seven.

The channel will also screen on Prime with 7TWO branding and on Channel 127 on Foxtel in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (dates to be confirmed).

Most importantly, 7TWO will address a ratings boost for the network that has seen GO! help Nine to 5 weekly wins.

News of the impending channel wa also picked up by Variety and The Hollywood Reporter.

A full Guide for 7TWO is now available on TV Tonight’s Advance Guides.

1. Dee January 5, 2012 at 10:28 pm -

What has happened to Coronation Street at 10am?

It has just disappeared with no notice of when it’s on next!

2. shannon January 7, 2010 at 7:57 pm -

ugly betty rox

3. David Knox October 27, 2009 at 11:47 am -

No dates for Prime or SC yet. Keep you posted…

4. Leith October 26, 2009 at 6:20 pm -

Prime have agreed to show it, why are Southern Cross dragging their tails? I think I was spoilt with GO! starting on time…

5. Matt October 26, 2009 at 4:57 pm -

David, any idea of what date it will be available on Foxtel? Will it be when they introduce the new channels in mid November?

6. Disappointed Deaf viewer October 26, 2009 at 2:24 pm -

Can anyone explain why CH7, 9, 10 treats the deaf viewers with contempt and discrimination by having the programs closed captioned on the new channels GO 7Two and One?

Some programs previously had closed captionings (Frasier, The Nanny, Seinfeld etc) and yet does not show it currently?

And please, don’t tell me they cannot afford it! If they can afford to buy the AFL TV rights, surely they can afford to have the programs captioned?!

7. Neil October 26, 2009 at 12:51 pm -

They have taken 7two off the regional NSW and VIC sites in Freeview, Not looking good !

8. Richard W October 26, 2009 at 8:55 am -

Why are people making a big deal about getting these free to air channels on Foxtel? Isn’t the main reason you pay for Foxtel is because of the lame content on free to air?

Otherwise, just pick up the other remote and change the channel! Seems like people are too lazy to change the channel on a remote these days!

9. bindi October 26, 2009 at 7:06 am -

just ran a re-scan and they haven’t changed the channel name yet, it still says “7 digital 2″ wonder when they will change this? I’m also hoping they will load up the EPG now that it is a workday because yesterday both 7 and 72 were blank. 7TWO is also not on the yahoo7 online guide yet, we know what the schedule is but it would be good if this info started filtering through to everywhere else instead of just the one webpage. It is also doubtful that this will be in printed guides for the first week or 2 because they left the announcement so late.

10. JJ04 October 25, 2009 at 10:59 pm -

Hi david, do you know what is happening with Southern Cross, will they be broadcasting this?

11. Sarah October 25, 2009 at 7:47 pm -

What I’m trying to figure out is what are they showing that features Robert Carlyle? Can anyone pick where that shot is from?

12. Guy October 25, 2009 at 5:29 pm -

@barrett and all the regional viewers

Prime will launch 7TWO on Saturday ahead of the middday launch next Sunday. It will carry the 7TWO brand.

13. koverstreet October 25, 2009 at 4:46 pm -

Ch Mate! does seem like a Ch7 idea though as they aim at that aussie battler demo which would lap it up. The new one is better but fairly unimaginative which is mirrored in the content.

14. barrett October 25, 2009 at 4:39 pm -

Looking on the Prime / iprime websites there is no mention of the new channel at all.

Have yet to see any info / promotion on local Prime channels (6’60’61’62) and Prime website tv guide shows next Sunday as only Prime and Prime HD when 7two launches.

Doesn’t look good for regional viewers.

15. timmy October 25, 2009 at 3:40 pm -

“Channel Mate” kinda sounds like a programmable remote control to me. Especially with some of the logos.

16. gerry October 25, 2009 at 2:37 pm -

To me it would make more sense to have the word “two” underneath the 7 numeral instead of next to it. This current 7two logo is going to make one ugly watermark. I don’t mind though because this channel is too crap for me to watch!

17. Daniel October 25, 2009 at 1:15 pm -

Does anyone know what number it will be on Prime? Will it take the place of Primeview 2?

18. David Knox October 25, 2009 at 12:34 pm -

Mate! just didn’t ring true to me as a channel name which is why I didn’t run it, although I did report the 7PLUS and PLUS7 registrations some months ago. Interesting that nobody seemed to notice one of the Mate logos mirrored PBL Media’s. Pretty sneaky red herring….

19. Mr. Do-Bee October 25, 2009 at 12:24 pm -

Thankyou, David, for not buying into the rumour and gossip that has been surrounding this new channel. We can at least rely on this site for accurate, verified information. It is obvious from the trademark classes listed against “mate” that it was never going to be the channel’s name.

After all the anticipation the schedule is a major disappointment. AFL at night and Brit soaps on daytime is just dumb. Would prefer to see the prime time block repeated or NBC Today (which I watched religiously when it aired earlier than 4am) at midnight. Currently watch nothing on Nine, but have been watching Bang, Survivor and the odd classic on Go!. 7TWO has nothing to offer me.

20. Craig October 25, 2009 at 11:55 am -

What about October Road, Knight Rider or Kath and Kim?

21. Paull October 25, 2009 at 10:44 am -

@Woody: they could also call it 9, 7 plus Two = Nine. haha.

22. daqua_99 October 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm -

Whilst I commend Seven for their effort, and can personally see this rating better than Go (due to most prime time shows being on their standard channel first), I won’t be found watching it much. Only show really interesting me is Reaper. I also might watch it for the movies.

I think that showing old AFL games overnight is a huge mistake. It will virtually alienate Sydney and Brisbane viewers. They should show either their prime-time line-up again, movies or a variety of sports (motor sports, Olympics, etc).

I’m also not a fan of their daytime line-up either. I would have liked to see some American sit-coms like According to Jim and My Wife and Kids between 9:00 and 12:00, then a midday movie until 2:00, then their “classics” or lifestyle line-up. I find in the mornings, when I’m doing nothing, I like shows like According to Jim and My Wife and Kids as some light-hearted entertainment.

One smart thing I can see from Seven is cross-promotion. Advertising on their standard channel for SevenTWO will surely help improve ratings, and will be a major reason why, I think, it will eventually beat Go in ratings …

23. Woody October 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm -

7two they should call it 14 thats 7two

24. koverstreet October 24, 2009 at 8:07 pm -

Now that’s an idea johnson! Would be awesome to have NBC Today at midnight like in the old days instead of 4am. And show the whole 4 hours and don’t edit it. But of course that’s too good an idea for 7 to bother with and we’ll be stuck with decades old footage of Dermott Brereton and Wayne Carey!

25. Boy Wonder October 24, 2009 at 7:20 pm -

@Craig. Thank you. I have been going on about the possibility of 2 channels for weeks. Now I know. It’s a shame but.

26. Paull October 24, 2009 at 7:12 pm -

@Elijah P: You’re right. Yesterday when the 7Two guide first came out, it had 1.5 hours of scrubs 6 days a week, now that’s been reduced to just Sunday, and 1 hour on thursday- glad to see the 72 guide is still a work in progress, im hoping for better shows than what they’re currently offering.

As for seinfeld, it’s half an hour every week day and 2 hours over the whole weekend. So that ends up at 4.5 hours of seinfeld a week.

27. Studley Dudley October 24, 2009 at 7:10 pm -

UFC Wired on ONE
    Seinfeld on GO!

7TWO can get stuffed

28. Johnson October 24, 2009 at 6:48 pm -

I think the AFL classic replays should be left for the AFL season proper from mid-February to the last Saturday in September. The midnight-to-dawn slot should be reserved for news programs, such as the full broadcast of NBC Today Show from midnight to 3am, Tuesdays to Saturdays, as well as its weekend editions from midnight to 2am. In WA during summer months, 7Two can be used to show Sunrise from 3am to 6am Perth time as it goes to air in Sydney and Melbourne, because often in the summer the program is cut short due to sporting commitments such as Australian Open tennis.

29. Ryano October 24, 2009 at 6:22 pm -

Most excellent news, re late night AFL replays.
    The matches being played are so random. Wonder how they picked those particular matches?
    Will be recording many of them and watching back in prime time.

I also hope that when the 2010 season starts, 7TWO replays the Friday night match the next day in the late morning. I dont stay in most Friday nights so it would be good to catch a replay of the previous night’s action before the Saturday afternoon matches begin!

30. Elijah P October 24, 2009 at 6:01 pm -

@Paull “20 hours of Scrubs a week.” The guide says 2.5 hrs of scrubs a week, and i weren’t exadurating when i said 11 hrs of seinfeld

31. Paul October 24, 2009 at 5:54 pm -

Looks like crap. I’ll stick with GO!

32. Adam Nelson October 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm -

No Late night with Conan. Booo!

33. Paull October 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm -

Elijah P: “i can look forward to not watching 11 hours of seinfeld a week” and instead watch 20 hours of Scrubs a week. Far better…?

34. Elijah P October 24, 2009 at 4:34 pm -

i will certainly prefer this to go – i can look forward to not watching 11 hours of seinfeld a week

35. michael October 24, 2009 at 4:09 pm -

i’m pretty sure the yahoo7 guide said it was also playing AFL matches from 1980 and 1987!!!

36. KFed October 24, 2009 at 3:26 pm -

Reruns of sport really are the most pointless viewing. I love that Go! reruns the prime time line-up, I have caught some great shows at 3am.

Also, how many times does Seven want to replay that MJ concert? It must be five times since he died now (including 7HD screenings).

37. Russell October 24, 2009 at 3:05 pm -

I think 7TWO will be carried on Foxtel in all markets on cable (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Newcastle, Geelong, Central Coast, Canberra and Gold Coast metro areas) but only the larger markets (Bris, Syd, Melb) on satellite.

I’m sure more markets will be added in time

38. john October 24, 2009 at 2:02 pm -

Why doesnt Adelaide (or Perth) get 7TWO on Foxtel ?

39. Neil October 24, 2009 at 1:27 pm -

Did I not say “Sorry” earlier on for the mistake I made ?

40. Craig October 24, 2009 at 1:05 pm -

@Boy Wonder – they are not permitted to have a 3rd SD channel, only ABC can do that at the moment. And seriously the amount of time Seven took to launch the 2nd one (11 months after they could have) I very much doubt they will any time soon. Plus you have the whole bandwidth issue with PayTV doesn’t have to worry about with cable and Satellite.

41. koverstreet October 24, 2009 at 1:03 pm -

@ andrew b – that would be good seeing old game shows and classics like ACP would have me interested. As it is nothing there does anything for me except the likes of Magnum. Throw in some more old classics instead of ancient AFL matches and I’ll tune in.

42. Paull October 24, 2009 at 12:48 pm -

Check out the freeview channel page for Darwin. They get 7 TWO 3 times! Twice on Darwin Digital Television and once for 7

The Regionals also get 7 Two more than once, the 2nd one is next to ONeHd.

43. darthfyer October 24, 2009 at 12:36 pm -

@Boy Wonder

The timeshift channel was pure speculation gone to the extreme. So extreme that almost everyone was believing it. The reason being, because 7 seemed to refuse to provide any information… not even a drop.

I still think 7 hasn’t left enough time between announcing the channel and it going to air. I seem to recall that GO was announced in pieces in the 2-3 months leading into the soft launch in August, so there was little speculation and more anticipation.

But i suppose, the last week has generated quite some attention to 7 and the fact that the two channels are going to be cross-advertised is a plus.

Since the second channel is 7TWO… is the main channel going to be re-branded as 7ONE? I would assume not as it didn’t seem to be announced in the press release yesterday, but i thought i’d just ask anyway.

44. Boy Wonder October 24, 2009 at 11:51 am -

Will they launch 7Three at the same time? Possible time shift channel or will time shift eat into main channel?

45. Matt October 24, 2009 at 11:42 am -

Pumped for American Gladiators. Not much else though.

46. Knowfirst October 24, 2009 at 11:38 am -

Neil says:
    October 24, 2009 at 9:51 am

Somehow I have got a feeling we will not be watching this out in Prime land, I just wish they would just let us know.

Do some of you not read the full story, can not read at all or are just ignorant? The story says Prime are carrying it, untouched.

47. blakyy October 24, 2009 at 11:07 am -

old Afl games over night aren’t they just copying that of abc2 when they had late night legends few years ago. if they are going to play overnight sport classics what about some other sports seven have shown over the years V8 supercar classics, olympic games, Melbourne cup, not just afl.

I probably agree that repeats of the primetime block like go! does would be better.

48. Paull October 24, 2009 at 11:03 am -

I think I’m preferring gO! more than this. But lets hope at least 7 does the right thing and gives 72 a higher bit rate than Nine does for Go1.

49. Neil October 24, 2009 at 10:54 am -

I take back my last comment did not read about Prime taking it(sorry about that : ) )
    thanks Prime !!!

50. Andrew B October 24, 2009 at 10:53 am -

Who even watches old AFL matches? And at 2am, 3am? I know its 1-5am but anything better than that! Why not more classic 7 shows like Country Practice (which used to be on 7HD) and the like? Hey Dad? Kingswood Country? Old game shows?

51. damo October 24, 2009 at 10:45 am -

the promo ad to this new channel was pathetic. typical of seven to have all there super flogs singing to promote a new channel

52. Guy October 24, 2009 at 10:41 am -

Well Seven spend so much money on the AFL it makes sense to utilise that.

53. Jeff October 24, 2009 at 10:27 am -

On the schedule posted on 7TWO’s website, it says that there will be a 30-min “Welcome to 7TWO” at 11:30am before the channel launches with the Michael Jackson concert at 12pm

54. Kuttsywood October 24, 2009 at 10:07 am -

So, when’s 7 One launching?

55. jezza October 24, 2009 at 10:06 am -

Yay and Tasmania will miss the first few episodes of shows because it starts on December 1 here :\

56. Ben October 24, 2009 at 10:01 am -

Good to know it’s going to be on Prime and prime arn’t messing with it!

57. Neil October 24, 2009 at 9:51 am -

58. Xav October 24, 2009 at 9:36 am -

Apparently there are Closed Captions for 7TWO – I’m not hearing impaired but it is good to be able to fully understand what is being said. Can’t wait for Tuesdays and Wednesdays on 7TWO.

59. ryaneco October 24, 2009 at 9:21 am -

Great news about prime, assuming it will also be SD in prime and not upscaled?

Thanks so much for this confirmation David.

60. mikeys October 24, 2009 at 9:05 am -

“Will be screened on Foxtel…” Is that for Satellite subscribers too?

So far none of the shows has me wanting to tune in, but as a concept, I like it. Screen AFL games overnights is weak filler content IMO – I would much prefer 80’s and 90’s movies or something.

61. Dan October 24, 2009 at 8:58 am -

Are they ever going to put these stations on Optus Aurora Satellite TV??? Rural and remote people do exist and are considered part of Australia too, well as far as I’m concerned we are!

62. tasmanian devil October 24, 2009 at 8:55 am -

A local version of The F Word with Matt Moran? I really hope that doesn’t mean they’re hiring him to do nothing but say the F word non stop.

63. darthfyer October 24, 2009 at 8:36 am -

Do you have any more info regarding Prime? Are they picking it up from November 1? One would assume it will be on channel 62.

I can only imagine they are running AFL repeats during the night (between midnight and 6am) as they don’t have anything else to fill the gaps at this stage. It woud have been nice if they repeated the primetime shows like GO does, but oh well.

64. Harry October 24, 2009 at 8:33 am -

Last night, Southern Cross Nightly News (Tasmania) also confirmed Tasmania would get this channel on December 2nd.

65. Michael October 24, 2009 at 8:21 am -

What, (afl) sport on 7TIVO, ohh thats not right.

66. Woody October 24, 2009 at 8:09 am -

So glad it’s running on prime

67. john October 24, 2009 at 7:51 am -

Original title.

68. steven g October 24, 2009 at 7:47 am -

It looks good. I checked the guide, I like the schedule. I think it will put 7 back on top.

69. bindi October 24, 2009 at 7:11 am -

2 episodes of stargate atlantis in 1.5 hours? hope that means virtually no ads and not hacking bits out of the episodes.
    ancient AFL matches- no thanks. are sports fans even interested in this sort of thing, they virtually riot whenever things are not shown live, if games are worthless only a few hours after they happen is there any interest in games from years ago?

70. Craig October 24, 2009 at 7:08 am -

After a five minute intro they launch into a bunch of US shows/movies, okay only slightly better than GO!

71. cjschrissouth October 24, 2009 at 5:56 am -

Is it just me or does that look almost exactly like the SBS TWO logo, being all caps and stuff. I mean, sure theres not much different you can do but it looks Exact!

Anyway why didn’t they give it a new name, like GO! or ONE HD.

72. Ryano October 24, 2009 at 5:26 am -

“Late nights on 7TWO the channel will screen AFL matches from as far back as 1999.”
    There is a God! Pure genius!

73. newtaste October 24, 2009 at 5:14 am -

Having zero interest in AFL, like most of the rest of Sydney, those huge blocks of replays of old games are a real turn-off.