Seven 2010: Drama, factuals, epics and comedy

By David Knox on January 5, 2010 / Filed Under News 39

pcfThe Pacific, My Kitchen Rules, Cougar Town, ICU, The Marriage Ref, Damage Control, Hung and Royal Pains -just some of the new shows Seven has unveiled as part of its 2010 programming.

Following some time after announcements by opposition networks, Seven demonstrates another strong local slate, with several big international acquisitions. The titles may not be quite as lengthy as Nine’s promise for the year, but Seven has a good track record in delivering on its shows while some networks float titles that just never seem to eventuate (The Irwin Family’s Australia Zoo, Jingles, Undercover Boss, Little Mosque on the Prairie anyone?).

Admittedly, many of the year’s shows have already been announced: My Kitchen Rules features chefs Peter Evans and Manu Feildel. ICU looks at the Intensive Care Unit of Melbourne’s Alfred Hospital. Russell Crowe produces and narrates the sports-medical factual Damage Control. Hung gets a screening after its debut on Showcase. A host for The Marriage Ref is yet to be announced. Seven also picks up USA Network’s Royal Pains starring Mark Feuerstein as a young doctor who, after being wrongly blamed for a patient’s death, moves to the Hamptons and becomes the reluctant “doctor for hire” to the rich and famous.

In renewed local productions, Emily Symons is confirmed as returning to Home and Away as the ever-popular ‘Marilyn Chambers.’ Georgie Parker will make an appearance in City Homicide.

Axle Whitehead lands another series of World’s Strictest Parents, Corrine Grant gets more Airways and the provocative Gangs of Oz is also back for more.

2008′s Crash Investigation Unit returns for a second series (though it is unclear if Damian Walshe-Howling is back to narrate).

Dancing with the Stars (are there any stars left?) confirms the return of Daniel McPherson and Sonia Kruger.

Other renewed shows include Packed to the Rafters, Find my Family, RSPCA Animal Rescue, Surf Patrol, Medical Emergency, The Force, Highway Patrol, Border Security and Better Homes and Gardens.

Seven’s announcement doesn’t name all key shows including Today Tonight, Sunrise, The Morning Show or Sunday Night. Which means we can’t ascertain whether Australia’s Got Talent is in or out, despite assurances negotiations were advanced (if not, it could free up Red Symons for Hey Hey it’s Saturday). TV Burp isn’t named either. What of Thank God You’re Here?  And will It Takes Two ever return?

Lost, 24 and The Sopranos lead the offerings on 7TWO.

1. bob January 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm -

MKR looks like a stinker just from the adds

2. koverstreet January 6, 2010 at 8:55 pm -

A lot more shows but 10s shows are better.for the younger crowd anyway..most of 7s are ordinary or mostly appeal to the 55+ demo. Nothing wrong with that except i like most under 50 prefer 10s hipper shows to 7s conservative and rather dull (with the exception of it’s excellent US shows like Bones and Castle) shows. TV Burp was a notable exception but it looks like it’s done.

3. Tess1988 January 6, 2010 at 12:47 pm -

I think 7 will do very well for all these shows, its good to see hbo shows like hung on oz free to air tv, it seams like 7 has a lot more shows then 10 for example, its a bit dissapointing that 7two only has 3 shows listed, and I hope shows like 30 rock, family guy, american dad, how I meet your mother get early timeslots on 7 or 7two this year

4. koverstreet January 6, 2010 at 11:11 am -

@ burt -10 has Modern Family iirc and it’s not really a huge hit,will probably tank here.

5. Casey January 6, 2010 at 3:55 am -

Since Seven foolishly onsold The Legend of the Seeker fantasy action series to Foxtel, they should get the free to air rights to show it on 7TWO.

6. Burt January 6, 2010 at 3:10 am -

Has 7 (if it isn’t them, it’ll be Ten who desperately need it) also got the big hit US comedy show Modern Family.

7. David Knox January 6, 2010 at 1:23 am -

Melb issue is usually AFL bound due to the gate. I can’t see them playing it in Perth 2 hrs earlier either. 7TWO can’t resolve AFL unless anti-siphoning changes. Even then all the sponsor money is on 7. I also don’t see BH&G going to 7TWO to sort this. I suspect they are pretty happy with their Friday line ups so at this stage the answer to your question is probably Yes.

8. Ryano January 6, 2010 at 1:12 am -

Question I would love answered by the Stokes Network…in 2010 will 7 still force AFL fans in Melb/Ade/Perth to sit through that suburban clusterf*** show Better Homes and Gardens for an hour every Friday night, despite 7Two now available to resolve this painful issue?

9. Andrew B January 5, 2010 at 5:42 pm -

Re: Amazing Race – cancel my last comment, just saw it mentioned as coming back.

Hope its fast tracked though, not like 2009 where we had to wait so long for season 14.

Hope also 7TWO will play some of the older seasons especially since you can’t buy them on DVD anywhere.

10. shaun January 5, 2010 at 4:36 pm -

great line up for 7 in 2010 all the big shows returning and can’t wait for the pacific and city homicide and rafters as well as the new comedy couger town and the marriage ref here’s to a 4th year at the no.1 position for 2010!

11. brisvegas January 5, 2010 at 4:17 pm -

i can Not wait for The Pacific, having watched Band of brothers over xmass for the 4th time time on dvd.

Can someone give corrine grant a job more in her line? She’s wasted on that airline show.

12. SeanM January 5, 2010 at 3:52 pm -

I am looking forward to “The “Pacific”

I enjoyed the recent repeat of Band of Brothers. It is the first time I had seen it.

13. Johnson January 5, 2010 at 2:11 pm -

@Andrew: Ten has the rights to Modern Family.
    @IMO: The 16th season of The Amazing Race is currently under production and will be aired in the US around March. Hopefully Seven will show it after Easter or, better still, fasttrack it.

14. koverstreet January 5, 2010 at 1:50 pm -

Any chance we’ll see a new series of Lewis this year?

15. IMO January 5, 2010 at 12:40 pm -

The Amazing Race?

16. David Knox January 5, 2010 at 12:29 pm -

Yes Family Guy and American Dad are returning. And add to that new Bones, Castle, Brothers and Sisters, Criminal Minds, FlashForward, Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, How I Met Your Mother, The Amazing Race, 30 Rock.

17. Peter January 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm -

the yahoo7 page for TGYH lists it as ‘Returns in 2010′, just like Sunday Night.
    So i think we can safely assume its going to return this year.
    Hopefully TV Burp will be back, was one of my fav shows from last year.
    Does anyone know if seven will continue with new episodes of Family Guy and American Dad? Without shows like Prison Break, Lost and Heroes filling up the 10.30 slot, maybe these shows can be aired even earlier!
    Who knows what ‘stars’ we’re gonna see this year on DWTS! And i wonder what the gimmick’s gonna be?

18. FJ January 5, 2010 at 12:00 pm -

What a boring list of shows. Still trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

19. David Knox January 5, 2010 at 11:40 am -

Kathy MKR might be having a media launch on Jan 27 but the show itself is Feb.

20. Craig H January 5, 2010 at 11:34 am -

mmm, certainly a stable line up from seven. I think Aust’s Got Talent is gone for this year at least, Dannii Minogue will be tied up with X-Factor duties in the UK from May – December, its unlikely to see them having the series done and dusted between now and May. Seems like an odd decsion by 7 to axe if, it rated well for them. I think My Kitchen Rules will tank, people konw a rip off of another show when they see one

21. Brodie January 5, 2010 at 11:13 am -

The Pacific is the pick of the year for me. Pleased to head Hung and Royal Pains are heading to the main channel.

22. Jerome January 5, 2010 at 11:12 am -

wikipedia is saying that 7 have ‘Roger and Val have just got in’. does anyone have any confirmation? that would be great.

@Paull, i’m sure most people would hapily sacrifice HDness to have it at 8:30 instead of 11:30.

23. Ruth January 5, 2010 at 11:06 am -

Not worried about *AGT* returning but would like to see * Thank God You’re Here* back along with *It Takes 2* and eventually Kath and Kim.
    I actaully presumed that Ch 7 would have replayed TGYH over the holiday season.

Looking forward to MKR and Couger Town.

24. David Knox January 5, 2010 at 11:02 am -

Last I heard Lost and 24 had not been ruled out of a potential screening on Seven. But I wouldn’t hold your breath….and somehow I suspect they wouldn’t be quick to advise me even if they had since decided No.

25. Paull January 5, 2010 at 10:59 am -

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Highway patrol was returning- excellent show! I’m a bit disappointed at seven’s decision to air Lost on 7too becaucse it means no HD showing.

26. Jerome January 5, 2010 at 10:44 am -

i’m pretty sure Australia’s got talent has been axed, it is not making any 2010 nod lists there has not been an audition call, even in 2008 when it started after easter we would have had an audition call by now. and there have been plenty of people claiming to be insiders saying that it is not returning.
    a possible reason is that they decided to go for MKR instead and because there were very few people audition for season 3.

27. koverstreet January 5, 2010 at 10:42 am -

Geez so much dross – Seven truly has the worst line-up of all the networks,too much grey tv for me.

Only thing I’m happy about is the return of City Homicide an excellent aussie drama.

And the only good new show they had last year – TV Burp – isn’t listed as returning.

28. Tony January 5, 2010 at 10:08 am -

As a big fan of Band of Brothers, I’m looking forward to The Pacific.

29. Andrew January 5, 2010 at 10:04 am -

Which network has “Modern Family”?

30. Trent January 5, 2010 at 9:50 am -

I really don’t care for any of there shows. The only one that I have the slightest bit of interest in is Packed to the Rafters, but who doesn’t watch that show?

Channel Seven, I think you guys are in for a very bad 2010.

31. Jed January 5, 2010 at 9:37 am -

Great line up. And out of all them shows, Lost, 24 and Sopranos on 7TWO are the ones i’m most excited about.

32. Brodles January 5, 2010 at 9:33 am -

Surprised Channel 7 picked up Hung. I just finished watching it on Showcase and it’s pretty graphic in many scenes. Looking forward to Cougar Town, that looks entertaining.

33. Craig January 5, 2010 at 8:18 am -

ETA – what ever happened to Kate and Kim (the original) Seven bought it, showed one season and it’s over?

34. Craig January 5, 2010 at 8:16 am -

Once again for me Seven has more to offer than the others but with the 2nd channels it could be the closest year of recent times.

35. Ruth January 5, 2010 at 8:15 am -

Not sure if the Ch 7 series buyers have watched all of the first series of Hung . I watched all of Series One on Showcase, frequently fast forwarding later episdes because they became boring & silly.

IMHO Hung misses on all counts: it’s not funny, sophisticated, insightful, interesting or entertaining. If HBO makes a second series I won’t be watching.

36. jack January 5, 2010 at 7:54 am -

Will be nice to see georgie Parker back on the box.

37. Kathy January 5, 2010 at 7:12 am -

I read somewhere on the weekend that My Kitchen Rules is airing at the end of January – that is a little before the rating period commences right?

As for Royal Pains, I absolutely loved this show, it was fantastic.

Considering 24 airs in the US on the 16/17th January, will 7TWO be doing much the same i.e. airing it around the same time – having said that I better check back on your previous posts as I think you have already commented elsewhere.

38. Andy January 5, 2010 at 7:10 am -

So the 2 shows I actually watched on 7 are unconfirmed– TGYH and It Takes Two. Disappointing!

39. Birddoggy January 5, 2010 at 6:15 am -

You mentioned comedy in the headline?