Auditions: Junior MasterChef

By David Knox on March 23, 2010 / Filed Under News 33

Ok kids, if you’re aged 8 -12  (as of May 3rd) then get a parent or guardian to help you fill out an online application for Junior MasterChef.

Applications are now open for the series to be filmed later this year by Shine Australia (Elisabeth Murdoch’s company leased the MasterChef rights to FremantleMedia prior to establishing an Australian wing… there is a good interview with her in today’s smh.com.au).

The junior version of the hit reality series will relace the Celebrity MasterChef off-shoot for 2010.

Given the young nature of the contestants, the official website is painstaking in its language, so as not to dash too many junior hopes too harshly:

“You need to be prepared to take some criticism (the judges may like some of what you cook, but there is also a chance they may not like other things about it).”

“The most important thing to remember is that many thousands of Australian kids will apply to be on Junior Masterchef and we value every single application we receive. Unfortunately there are only a very limited number of places available in the TV show – so don’t be disappointed if you’re not invited to an audition this year – please keep on enjoying your cooking as much as we do and we hope you and your family enjoy the series when it’s on TV later in the year.”

“Don’t be upset if they choose someone else’s though – they can’t put everyone through to the next round.”

Key dates are:

Round 1: The initial round of Auditions for successful applicants will be held in major cities in Australia throughout mid May.

Round 2: 2nd round of auditions in Sydney over the period 9th – 13th of July.

Round 3: If the candidate successful 4 – 5weeks of filming in our Masterchef studio in Sydney during the period mid July to end of August 2010.

Shine appears to have been so carried away with the prospect of thousands of entries it has neglected to indicate what the prize is!

You can apply here!

Please remember TV Tonight is not connected to MasterChef, Network TEN or any of Matt Preston’s cravats.

1. David Knox March 25, 2010 at 7:11 pm -

TV Tonight is a blog and has no involvement in auditions or casting.

This site is not Channel TEN.

Refer to links for all enquiries. Good luck.

2. marya March 25, 2010 at 6:50 pm -

hi my name is marya an im 12 and i enjoy cooking alot and i hope i get chosen i learnt alot over the previous episodes. please please please please

3. sheri March 25, 2010 at 5:55 pm -

where is the show made i want to do it but if i have to go on a plane i dont know if i can?
    e-mail me back

4. costa March 25, 2010 at 3:36 pm -

please i want to get choosen i love cooking i wanna be a pro when i grow up

5. laura March 24, 2010 at 7:13 pm -

OMG i love cookin and i am ur number one fan

6. laura p March 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm -

i am 11 and i would love to coz i know how to cook

7. costa March 24, 2010 at 6:27 pm -

i love cooking its the best ever i always help my mum and dad cook its soo cool

8. cloey danaher March 24, 2010 at 6:12 pm -

Can you please tell me when the Junior Masterchef sign ups are in Brisbane?

9. sera ozgen March 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm -

i am so exited i love cooking

10. Jessica Barhoun March 23, 2010 at 7:45 pm -

i love cooking its my dream to be on your show

11. Sylviaa. March 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm -

Omgg, i would lovee to joinn. :)

12. Rob Mackay March 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm -

hi im 14 turning 15 in october and i love to cook i would love if you put a 12-18 year old masterchef on TV i would join instantly thanks

13. Dave March 23, 2010 at 6:41 pm -

You can access the online application form at juniormasterchef.castasugar.com if you have problems accessing it via the original link posted.

14. Angus Connolly March 23, 2010 at 6:36 pm -

This website dosnt work and will it be on next year.

15. David Knox March 23, 2010 at 5:48 pm -

No point asking me! I don’t work for TEN or MasterChef.

16. roxyanna March 23, 2010 at 5:46 pm -

thanks but please pick me i was always ready for this and Masterchef is the best!!

17. David Knox March 23, 2010 at 5:44 pm -

Website was working yesterday. Seems to be some problems. Try it again tomorrrow?

18. roxyanna March 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm -

when and Where do we adution

19. Emma March 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm -

When i go onto the sit it says.. ‘Web hosting has not been set up for the domain name’ ?
    i would Love to audition because i adore cooking sooooooo much!!!!!!!!
    but how can i get onto it..?

20. Philm March 23, 2010 at 1:19 pm -

How long before a kid burns themselves. It will probably be parents doing cooking because i tell u i wouldny let a kid near the stove or oven. Dont know if it will truly be “junior” then. i can only take so much jelly!

21. Beckala March 23, 2010 at 12:47 pm -

I cannot think of a worse show – both in terms of viewing pleasure or lack thereof (seriously, how entertaining can it be watching kids watch mediocre food?) or the possible chances of exploitation and what I am sure will be many opportunities for kids to feel bad and/or upset. I really think this is a bad idea – what about all the fuss made about Bindi Irwin and the comments Fiona whatshername (sorry, really can’t remember how to spell it!) – and Bindi is a professional being paid to do what she does. Putting kids on reality tv where people love to hate it and love to bag it out (just look at TWOP for a start – doesn’t need to be an official website for people to bag them) – is a recipe for disaster. I’m a teacher and I really, truly hope none of my students go for it…

22. BoyWonder March 23, 2010 at 12:08 pm -

This is a fun twist on a stale idea. I’m sick to death of Celebrity themed anything (from reality to game shows). I’ll watch this and MC. The only problem is it is a Murdoch production.

23. ozzzie March 23, 2010 at 11:02 am -

they should make this a weekday afternoon show for kids, but with the high production costs they will probably put it on primetime which will probably go the way of celebrity mc.

24. PD March 23, 2010 at 10:30 am -

It’s ridiculous to say that a second, shortened, specialized season of MasterChef is “overkill”. It’s like saying, “Channel 7 shouldn’t have Home & Away on every night all year round, it’s overkill.” “What’s with all the news programs? It’s a bit of an overkill.” “How come Kerry O’Brien is always hosting The 7:30 Report, bit of an overkill me-thinks.”

It’s not like they run the series at the same time; one from April to July, one during October/November. Hardly overkill.

25. alfagirl March 23, 2010 at 10:12 am -

Is this a prime time show? I don’t know if kids would even want to watch this. I know kids loved the show last year and they will want the real thing. My main problem is that I really don’t want to see more precocious children on TV and I would imagine that some kids might be pressured into auditioning by stage parents who might see this as an opportunity to get their child on TV for purposes other than cooking.

26. Mike K March 23, 2010 at 9:56 am -

And why isn’t TV Tonight linked to Matt Preston’s Cravats? I can sense an awesome sponsorship deal here David…. ;)

But in all seriousness, something about this show worrys me. Kids are just so much more sensitive to rejection. Despite the website going to the effort of emphasising the liklihood of rejection, it will be interesting to see how the poor littluns cope on the show.

27. Ruth March 23, 2010 at 9:50 am -

This is just more overkill by Ch Ten.
    Leave Masterchef as One Of please !

28. catherine March 23, 2010 at 9:45 am -

I don’t think I will be watching this. Just something about kids and tv and cooking. I can just imagine all the fancy things they will try to cook and kids saying all the fancy food they eat. Also if they get any criticism some kids may not handle it all that well.

Watch for parents know getting there kids to audition and getting them to practice at home. Which isn’t a bad thing to do but you just know there are some parents out there who are going to push and push there child.

29. Madame Tango March 23, 2010 at 9:35 am -

My 10 year 0ld will be ecstatic – she really wanted to do something like this!!!
    Brilliant!!
    Kids reality shows are really the thing of the moment aren’t they??

30. Adam March 23, 2010 at 9:22 am -

This won’t air in the timeslot that Masterchef normally airs will it? I hope its more like Ready Steady Cook because no one wants to watch kids cook.

31. jay jay March 23, 2010 at 9:01 am -

MKR, Masterchef, Junior Masterchef – please don’t ruin my Masterchef enjoyment this year with overkill

32. Jessica Barhoun March 23, 2010 at 8:25 am -

is junior masterchef going to be on next year as well?