Bert Newton returns to hosting the Logies

By David Knox on March 14, 2010 / Filed Under News 41

It’s official.

Bert Newton will host the 2010 TV Week Logie Awards.

The veteran performer will front television’s night of nights solo for the 19th time on May 2nd.

Newton’s announcement, to be published in tomorrow’s TV Week magazine, follows the maligned 2009 hosting by Gretel Killeen.

Most of the industry view the role as a ‘poisoned chalice’ but Newton’s association with the event is legendary. He last had presenting duties in 2006 when he shared with Ray Martin, Daryl Somers, Lisa McCune and Georgie Parker. His last solo hosting was in 1993, but he has previously stolen the night when presenting the Gold Logie.

Newton will continue his trademark ad-libbing this year, only agreeing to the gig if his role was unscripted.

“I would hate to have to do a show like the Logies and be totally scripted,” he tells TV Week. “I wouldn’t do it under those circumstances.”

Also confirmed for the event are Susan Boyle, John Mayer and ARIA winner Gabriella Cilmi.

The Logies remains at Crown Casino and the Nine Network for 2010.

Source: TV Week.

1. liz Allan May 3, 2010 at 7:04 pm -

I thought Bert Newton was to host the logies.
    What a shock to see Alfred Hitchcock,doing it.
    Did anyone else notice the resemblance.
    Do not mean to be unkind,as I have loved Bert performing for many years.
    But he is pasted his used by date.

2. Alicia March 17, 2010 at 1:12 pm -

Ah, Bert. Well I think that’s a good choice. Though, I would be thrilled if a woman hosted the Logies. Apart from Gretel Killeen though who I reckon has probably killed ch9′s faith in women presenters. I do have to say though, I think it’s time now for ch9/other people who run the Logies to clean up their act a bit. The Logies shouldn’t be based around a populist vote via SMS and we shouldn’t have to only care about who wore what. It’s time we started celebrating diversity and talent among our many actors who are passionate about their work. And this does not include Home and Away, Neighbours, reality programs where there is no ‘acting’ or real theatrecraft involved. Give them their own separate awards night. Let’s celebrate the talent and hard work of those on and off the screen in Australian television.

3. Nigel March 15, 2010 at 9:43 pm -

Love it. Unscripted Bert is the only Bert.

4. Aaron March 15, 2010 at 9:30 pm -

Meh – its a safe bet for Nine … they’d get a lot of crap if they went with most of their personalities, but Bert is a safe bet, even if he’s getting on a bit (and has only hosted crap for the last few years).

5. Jack! March 15, 2010 at 5:57 pm -

He’s simply the best … better than all the rest…!!!
    Bert IS the Logies and all the others are just pail imitations!
    I may actually watch it this year … though i did think Gretel was Fab!
    Jack!

6. Geoff Field March 15, 2010 at 12:46 pm -

Now we have Bert hotsing, what about a tribute to another Australian legend Prisoner.
    It still lives on via DVD and produced some of the most memorable characters in Any Australian show ie: The Freak, Bea Smith, Frany and Lizzie etc
    It’s time for recognition has definately come

7. Steph March 15, 2010 at 12:24 pm -

Burts a decent choice, there are others who would be great, but he’ll be fairly fun. But everything else, just sounds bad

8. alfagirl March 15, 2010 at 12:18 pm -

It will be like your grandad making jokes. You will groan and roll your eyes but you will still smile and feel somewhat warm and fuzzy. I feel ok about him hosting.

9. kelly clark March 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm -

You are joking??? Even more of a reason Not to watch. Get rid of him he is well past his used by date.

10. Craig March 15, 2010 at 11:51 am -

i haven’t watched the logies in the last couple of years, but now i more then likely will watch it. I don’t think I have seen him host the logies on his own and I can’t wait to see his how he handles it. He has 50+ years experience so it should be fun.

Long live the king.

11. john March 15, 2010 at 11:40 am -

Well we just have to make do i guess.But i was looking forward to the cast of “Today” hosting.Bugger.

12. Calliegirl March 15, 2010 at 11:35 am -

Andrew, Graham (Kennedy) was the King, not Bert. I suppose you could call him the Court Jester, but not the King.
    I just hope that he doesn’t bring on the rest of his family. The Good Wife, Pattie, son Matthew and daughter Lauren. Hell why not go the full hog – bring on his grandchildren and son-in-law – the swimmer. Cringe factor anyone??

13. Boogie Howser March 15, 2010 at 11:24 am -

With Bert as host the Logies will run until 4am and I will love every minute.

Finally Nine have found a job for him that isn’t beneath him.

14. Dean March 15, 2010 at 8:55 am -

Wow! Look at everyone quick to whinge and complain! Every year when a new host is announced, people seem to say “bring back Bert”. This year they do and all you people can do is whinge. I”m sure no matter who they announced as host, you would all whinge. LEts wait and see before passing judgement!

15. Ruth March 15, 2010 at 7:12 am -

On No not Bert ! However I don’t have to watch so who cares.
    Ch9 must be really stuck for good talent.

16. Andrew March 15, 2010 at 5:54 am -

The KIng is back where he belongs.

17. jenny March 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm -

you have to be joking, this is bull***t !!!!

18. Geoff Field March 14, 2010 at 10:03 pm -

Great news.
    As a lot of others have said – a true Legend – in this day and age of instant and disposable ” celebrities”

19. DanR March 14, 2010 at 9:25 pm -

He’s a legend and will give me a reason to watch…thank God we’ve been spared lightweight Richard Wilkins

20. KFed March 14, 2010 at 8:39 pm -

Shut! Up!

21. Stan March 14, 2010 at 7:55 pm -

Well, Nine has to be short on talent if they only have Bert to entertain the audience. Maybe they should let another network to give it a go. Boring!

22. Dave March 14, 2010 at 7:41 pm -

I miss not having Bert on the TV much, introducing the top 20 something is so degrading to this great australian comic, can’t wait…

23. Mark March 14, 2010 at 6:17 pm -

Bert isn’t that funny now..he takes too long to get to the point..he seems pompous and self indulgent

24. andy March 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm -

I’m sure Bert will be great but it is quite an uninspired choice.I suppose TV Week figure having Bert host is a safe choice after last year’s risk which didn’t pay off.

25. IMO March 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm -

If his turn on Rove filling in for Carrie at the newsdesk is any indication, Bert Newton still has what it takes to host the Logies. And a new generation of viewers will finally get the chance to see first hand what only the legendary Bert can do best. Most other hosts have only been memorable for the opposite reason.

26. damo March 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm -

this bloke was good once. he isn’t any more. when he comes on to present the gold logie, he is so shockingly terrible. he tries to be funny and he isn’t close and how do think he will go when all the hosts are supposed to do on the night is try be funny. it is time to get rid of the logies

27. Alex March 14, 2010 at 5:12 pm -

Great news! At least this guarantees the Logies won’t be dull!

28. Ronnie March 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm -

Wow – that is astonishing news, not in a good way! I am not going to watch Bert embarrass himself and the rest of the industry. Nine are totally clueless. Bert – give it up. The whole thing will be the usual train wreck.

29. vrom March 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm -

ok ok nice choice. but i really would have probably brought in someone that is not so old school. we need a fresh face to re-energise the Logies so that they are not so tacky and lame.

30. Earthquake March 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm -

It will be great to have Bert hosting. I miss GMA. Ten made a big mistake cutting him.

31. mick March 14, 2010 at 3:12 pm -

Dinosaur.

32. Ash March 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm -

@Jimbo

People who think that ‘a lot’ is one word annoy me A Lot!!!

33. judith March 14, 2010 at 2:20 pm -

OK so I ceratainly won’t be watching it now

34. JB March 14, 2010 at 2:18 pm -

Is there a mistake in the article?

He’s quoted saying ““I would hate to have to do a show like the Logies and be totally unscripted” – should that just be “scripted”?

35. t.v. watcher March 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm -

A good choice.

36. CatFan March 14, 2010 at 2:03 pm -

Ddavid, you might need to check one of the quotes and change to ‘scripted’ not ‘unscripted’.

37. Jimbo March 14, 2010 at 2:00 pm -

i’m glad that Bert Newton is the host. He’s always been great at hosting (and presenting awards) at the Logies. Over the last decade, only Denton and Micallef have been good hosts.

One bad thing is that Gabriella Cilmi is going to be there!!!! She annoys me alot

38. Patrick March 14, 2010 at 1:47 pm -

Wow, that’s fantastic news.

The only person for the job for hosting will do a great job as always, you can’t go wrong with Bert.

Although I do agree with Michael that Denton and Micallef are great hosts as well, but it’ll be fantastic seeing Bert back at what he really does do best.

I now have a good reason to watch the Logies now!

39. Jerome March 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm -

good to see them making a safe choice this year after gretle last year. i still would have liked to see kerri-anne have a swing at it.

bert will do well.

40. mikeys March 14, 2010 at 1:28 pm -

Well I must admit, Bert will be the only reason I’ll watch… So it’s a good move by TV Week…

41. Michael March 14, 2010 at 1:22 pm -

Probably better than some of the other hosts they’ve had, there are very few people that have been able to pull it off. Denton and Micallef are the only two that come to mind.