Nine renews The Block for 2010

By David Knox on March 21, 2010 / Filed Under News 49

Channel Nine is bringing back its hit reality series The Block, to be hosted by Scott Cam.

The mix of renovation and soapie-style couples was a TV phenomenon for Nine when it hit screens in 2003. With its glamorous casting and surprise makeovers it averaged some 2.4m viewers every week and became the talk of a captivated TV audience. Its auction finale topped 3m viewers and it remains one of the hit series of the last decade.

Nine’s Director of Programming, Michael Healy, said, “The Block is a unique format that has always captured our ongoing obsession with real estate.

“Right now everybody’s talking about real estate again and I’m very excited that we’re bringing back a show which has been such a phenomenal success.”

A second series in 2004 was also successful, but a promised third series for 2005 did not eventuate. The format by Julian Cress and David Barbour was remade in other countries including the UK, Russia, Israel, Norway, Romania, Sweden, Finland, Belgium and The Netherlands. However the US version The Complex: Malibu in 2004 was a flop.

Nine also returns the reality series after its botched attempt with homeMADE by Cress and Barbour during the economic downturn. Both also created The Chopping Block.

For 2010 Scott Cam replaces former host Jamie Durie, who is now signed to Seven. Four couples will have eight weeks to design and decorate an apartment. All four apartments will go to public auction and each couple will keep the profit made from the sale. The couple who top the auction also win $100,000.

Scott Cam said, “As a builder I know this is one of the toughest competitions that’s ever been devised but having watched the first two series I know it can also be one of the most rewarding.

“I can’t wait to meet the four couples who are willing to take on the challenge this time. Usually I’m the one on the tools so for me, this is going to be fun.”

Casting for The Block 2010 has commenced. Interested couples can contact apply@mcgregorcasting[email protected] for more information.

1. EMMA July 31, 2010 at 7:55 pm -

Nooooo, next thing they will try to bring back that disgraceful show ‘Battlefronts’ shocking shocking shocking that one was……….

2. Mish May 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm -

Some friends of mine went for an audition and missed out – such a shame! It was a Father and daughter duo – they would have rocked it and it would have been great to see something different to the typical couples they have opted for.
    Frustrating if they want to connect with real australians!

3. Anders May 12, 2010 at 3:31 pm -

Really looking forward to a new screening of The Block. Always manage to pick up some new ideas and different perspectives on renovation. It would have been great to have seen it in Melbourne this time around though and then I would have stuck my name down. Next year maybe.

4. Maz & Alli April 11, 2010 at 8:00 pm -

As possible future contestants, we are happy to hear this show is coming back…. Nice reading through the comments to see that the general public want to see average, ordinary people on shows like this instead of the Barbie doll plastics that are usually chosen. Look at channel 10s big brother and masterchef winners… mostly average, every day people and may we suggest the host to be a previous contestant in place of Scott Cam.

5. animal March 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm -

The Block, more like the The Rip Off. those last 4 couples on the 2nd series got ripped off left right n centre.!!!!

6. randwick Geoff March 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm -

Death to reality television !

7. Dr. TV March 22, 2010 at 3:38 pm -

Scott Cam…… noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

8. Chris March 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm -

Huh? I’m confused – from all the comments I’ve read in other threads, I thought people *wanted* it back?

9. damo March 22, 2010 at 11:45 am -

no no noi no no no no no no. this show was rubbish when it was on last time and they were was a bunch drama queens and that wasn’t even the gay couple

10. Bass March 22, 2010 at 10:44 am -

Can’t see this one working this time around, probably better off doing the reunion specials, and checking in where everyone is at….from the First 2 seasons.

11. robert March 22, 2010 at 9:36 am -

bring back “The Chopping Block” Matt Moran is great tv host/talent

12. AA March 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm -

Wow-never thought Nine would brintg back The Block.
    I wonder what show they’ll bring back next.

13. gerry March 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm -

OMG! I was thinking about this show today! I can’t wait for it – I like Scott Cam, but not sure how he’ll do hosting solo. I actually liked homeMADE, but I can see why people wouldn’t like it. They should try it on a weeknight, instead of the usual Sunday 6:30pm where they have home-living type shows.

14. timmy March 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm -

(oops, pays to read after you edit your sentences).

15. timmy March 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm -

@Dave – well, could have been Catriona Rowntree doing her eternal walk to camera a la The Chopping Block.

Actually, I take it back, maybe even she would be better than improvement on Cam.

16. J Bar March 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm -

Ugh!

17. Matt March 21, 2010 at 8:24 pm -

What is the Scott Cam nickname equivalent of Eddie Everywhere?

18. mrb March 21, 2010 at 8:17 pm -

Why not just bring back Burke ?

19. vrom March 21, 2010 at 8:03 pm -

What the hell! Another old show being brought back. I must have missed the The Block reunion specials. :P

20. DAN March 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm -

the reason why i stopped watching domestic blitz is because scott cam annoys the beep out of me so i wont be watching this if they are going to revive old shows i would love it if they revived big brother

21. JJ March 21, 2010 at 7:58 pm -

Oh no not another reality show, why don’t they think of making a new sitcom for a change…

22. Dave March 21, 2010 at 6:58 pm -

Great news, I heard they had casted for a third series but canned it at the last minute many years ago. Scotts an interesting choice, but it could be worse…Tom Williams…

23. Johnson March 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm -

Nine should have commissioned the third series of The Block in 2005 when it was still popular. (Part of the ratings success for The Block was due to the fact the network had AFL at the time, which boosted the audience for the news, which in turn boosted the audience for The Block.) Nine is turning to The Block because Backyard Blitz is floundering in ratings at the moment.

24. ryaneco March 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm -

I liked the Block; but it may be too late for it to make a big comeback.

Nine need to get taught a lesson in finding new talent; they constantly reuse the same old people for every single show and it gets tiring; how about we bring in some fresh faces ones we haven’t seen before.

I won’t knock nine for revisiting an old idea but lets try and make it fresh at least.

That said; I would like more Chopping block I actually enjoyed that series.

25. Ja'mie March 21, 2010 at 6:05 pm -

This was a fantastic show in the first season. The second was rather lackluster. The previous attempt at resurrecting the format in homeMADE was disastrous. I just hope they can go back to what made the first season so special. But given the choice of host, I think this one might be a hard pill to swallow.

26. koverstreet March 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm -

@ kfed – Re old shows being redone there was talk a couple of years back about a new version of The Young Doctors ..sadly though it didn’t eventuate.

As for this show not my cuppa tea but I’m sure the old fans will lap it up.

27. John March 21, 2010 at 5:10 pm -

I never watched the first season, it didn’t appeal and the contestants weren’t appealing either but with a keen eyed casting director they could make this successful but no doubt the contestants will consist of a bitchy bimbo and her he-man thug boyfriend, a guy who’s clearly got serious aggression issues and his passive down trodden wife, token gay or asian contestants (if gay then hugely effiminate) and another of one of the first two options.

28. Luke W March 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm -

It better be in Melbourne this time. If not, I’m not interested.

29. Earthquake March 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm -

I’ll give it a go, not sure how Cam will go as host – he’s generally good as a presenter, but not sure how he’ll go as a host. But IIRC the host isn’t the central part of the format anyway, so it shouldn’t matter.

30. PD March 21, 2010 at 4:47 pm -

First Hey Hey It’s Saturday, now The Block, what are they going to dig up and try to resurrect next? Burke’s Backyard?

31. Matt March 21, 2010 at 4:43 pm -

Just goes to show how innovative they are over at 9 going back to their old programming.
    First Hey Hey, not The Block. What next?

32. Mark March 21, 2010 at 4:19 pm -

I won’t be watching it if Scott Cam is hosting..he is one of the worst hammiest personalies on TV..he comes through as a real fake.

33. judith March 21, 2010 at 3:57 pm -

Not more Scott Cam ;(

34. Brian March 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm -

I think it’s a good move to bring the show back now and I am looking forward to it. I’m in 2 minds about Scott Cam as the host but I’m not sure who would be my alternative to him. I do know that I would like those people who don’t want him actually include a suggestion as who they would prefer as host as it makes for a better balanced comment.

35. Tepee March 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm -

I enjoyed this show back when it was on. IIRC, the series was not renewed for a third season because while the ratings were fantastic, the costs did not justify another season. What makes Nine think that it will go back to 2 million+ ratings, especially since renovation shows of late have lost their shine? (homeMADE, Domestic Blitz) Or are they going to serve us a cheapo version of the show?

36. steven g March 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm -

I hear the Gra Gra is going to do a show too. Everything old is new again….

37. Trent March 21, 2010 at 3:36 pm -

I feel the same as most people. It’s good that the show is coming back, but I think people have had enough of Scott Cam. Domestic Blitz, Random Acts of Kindness and Whizz Kids. Get someone else.

38. timmy March 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm -

Great news! I love this show. But Scott Cam… groan.

39. D March 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm -

Good to see it coming back, not sure about the host though.

Those were some seriously high rating that the show used to get, it really shows how free to air has diminished the last few years.

40. nagelixin March 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm -

All I remember about this show was Gaz and Wazza, Commonwealth Bank and Masterfoods. The product placement was over kill.

41. Andrew March 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm -

The Block is good if they get the right people (host and contestants) and the right location.. remember the couple from season 2? the barbie dolls, that woman was psycho!

42. T-Mac March 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm -

It seems like Nine’s programming at the moment is a case of “back to the future”…first Hey Hey, and how this. What’s next?

43. KFed March 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm -

One of the smartest things they’ve done in ages. Now, I wonder what old hit they can bring back next … The Flying Doctors? (That was meant to be a joke, but since thinking of it I’d actually far prefer it to LAC)

44. Matthew March 21, 2010 at 2:20 pm -

Thats great news

45. Calliegirl March 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm -

Loved that show – glad it is coming back….

46. tomothy March 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm -

Hmm not sure about this one. I watched some of season 1, and all of season 2. The things I hated mosted about the show was the constant recaps and coming up next bits, and the unbeliveable product placement and almost scripted comments from the contestants about the brands/shops etc.
    Scott Cam as host – No Thanks!

47. Seymor Smith March 21, 2010 at 2:01 pm -

I really like the first season I’m interested to see if this will work. I watched Monster House last night and it felt a bit tired. I getting a bit bored with amazing transformations. Hopefully nine wont follow it’s usual path of casting exclusively white good looking boring people.

48. Craig March 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm -