MasterChef premieres to 1.7m

By David Knox on April 20, 2010 / Filed Under News 35

The second season of MasterChef Australia premiered with an audience of nearly 1.7m viewers last night.

The TEN reality series took 1.69m viewers as the #1 show of the night. It was strongest in Melbourne with 544,000 viewers ahead of Sydney on 489,000. Nationally it peaked on 2.11m.

Five contestants were already sent packing from the first episode, with more to be culled across the coming week. A Top 24 will be revealed on Sunday night.

Nine’s Carl Williams: Baby Faced Killer netted 1.06m viewers, second in its timeslot.

Seven’s best was Seven News on 1.57m.

TEN also saw The 7PM Project rise to 974,000 viewers. It will be hoping the cooking contest can help it turn the tide of modest network ratings against heavyweight competition.

Elsewhere Today beat Sunrise by 10,000 viewers.

Week 17.

1. PD April 21, 2010 at 5:06 pm -

Formulaic, tired and cliched already. I think ratings will fade but it will still do okay.

2. bob April 21, 2010 at 10:17 am -

@ryan the current auditions of top 50 is filmed at carriage works redfern then they move into the masterchef kitchen in alexandria(seperate site)

3. PD April 20, 2010 at 11:38 pm -

I think despite all the ‘reality TV’ trappings of ‘cliffhangers before ads breaks’ and pompous introductions as if this is some quest for King Arthur and not just a cooking show – MasterChef is a class above the rest when it comes to reality TV. It’s good to have it back.

4. Ben April 20, 2010 at 9:57 pm -

@David. I’m sure MC is going to do gangbusters like it did last year but its far from great storytelling when all it is, is just a shinier version of the same thing we’ve been watching for the past 5+ years.

5. ryan April 20, 2010 at 7:53 pm -

@jb: i just read that story and i thought the same thing! stupid paper!

6. JB April 20, 2010 at 7:13 pm -

According to the Daily Telegraph Masterchef’s debut was a monumental failure and Carl Williams’ tribute stole its audience. LOL. Idiots.

I was so excited to have it back, but really a pavlova is a fairly basic dessert so haven’t been wowed yet. Can’t wait for tonight.

7. ryan April 20, 2010 at 6:56 pm -

Looks like they had to strip the whole place to have auditions, i hope they return the cafe, restraunt and bar but actually use them this time for challanges

8. Mac April 20, 2010 at 6:46 pm -

Great comeback from Masterchef!

9. Kyle April 20, 2010 at 6:36 pm -

I have to say I did enjoy it, plus it beat the MKR finale (1.53) which is quite something

10. David Knox April 20, 2010 at 5:17 pm -

It isn’t TEN interrupting with ads. It is producers constructing a show with hooks to draw you back, same as a soap cliffhanger. MChef isn’t the only reality show to work this way. Last year’s success would suggest they cooked it to perfection.

11. tasmanian devil April 20, 2010 at 5:06 pm -

About the whole “The dish you will be cooking is…..” (cut to ads), I guess it is an effective (albeit unimaginative) way of stopping viewers from switching over, but I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s great storytelling. You might as well say Today Tonight is great news.

12. damo April 20, 2010 at 5:01 pm -

i will try and watch every episode this year. i didn’t watch any of it last year. is it like the pommie one where they go to resturaunts and work with chefs and that

13. franz chong April 20, 2010 at 4:31 pm -

I hope the 7pm Project does crack the Million Viewers Level soon and if this Masterchef helps them so be it otherwise it is back to Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond Reruns while Ten go back to their drawing board.

14. Rhys April 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm -

Someone’s gotta say it. MasterChef is already cooking up a storm!

15. Chris April 20, 2010 at 3:52 pm -

I should have been studying for my accounting exam…but I just couldn’t resist. I wasn’t disappointed.

16. DAN April 20, 2010 at 3:38 pm -

i agree with other great to see you posting Geoff Field

good ep MC i didnt really watch it much last year only the last few weeks so i am looking forward to watching this series from start to finish as for the dish you will be cooking is then it cust to ads it dosent really bother me but i can understand how it would be annoying to some

17. Nick April 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm -

“Nice to see Geoff Field post a comment here!”

And how about David Mott posting here. There are some bitchy comments and I wouldn’t blame him if he told people to go jump in the lake, but he appears to take it in good humour and seems to genuinely care about what people think. Good on him.

18. ozzzie April 20, 2010 at 2:00 pm -

also good from mc last night was that there was no ad break until 20+mins into the show. smart decision to hook in viewers and not give them a chance to change channels to another program.

19. Ben April 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm -

@ David. Its not great storytelling to cut someone off mid sentence and throw to break its actually a cheap attempt at suspense. Fremantle do good stuff but they’ve done it the same for too long with the same behind the scenes people they had in there making series one of Loser, Idol etc etc. Some new blood is whats needed.

20. ScottH April 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm -

I agree David, the hook is good before an advert break.
    What Freemantle don’t do well is the annoying long racap after the advert break.

21. steven guy April 20, 2010 at 12:30 pm -

And congrats to the 7pm project, maybe 1 million viewers isn’t to far away !

22. steven guy April 20, 2010 at 12:29 pm -

Good debut, I love the way MC cuts to adds, it’s very blunt and makes you want to stay around, clever stuff and anything that ends in the making of 10 pavlova’s is ok by me !!!!

23. David Knox April 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm -

Don’t agree. It’s great storytelling. Freo does this really well, even if it is frustrating.

24. Johnson April 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm -

I saw MC last night. Great episode, and like Andy, I don’t like the whole “The dish you will be cooking is…..” (cut to ads).
    @AlvinC: you will have to watch the episode on the website to find out the fate of the five people in the picture. Nicki, the Adelaide student (second from right), looked like Kelly Clarkson to me.

25. joey@FoodiePop April 20, 2010 at 11:15 am -

Good first episode, although like all reality TV, they portend who is going to make it through too much, like the woman who has the son with the learning disability. Despite showing her dish as being praised the most by the judges, they had her last to make it through from the elimination round! How obvious was that? Just to manipulate her into having to wait longer and for her emotions to well up so she would cry when they tell her she’s through is too devious for me to handle.

Nice to see Geoff Field post a comment here!

26. Andy April 20, 2010 at 10:11 am -

I got hooked on MasterChef last night after almost never watching last year. I hope to watch some more of it this year. It was a very good first episode, though I hate the whole “The dish you will be cooking is…..” (cut to ads).

Good to see 7PM picking up so much lately. They seem to have found their footing out of nowhere. Maybe their daily current affairs style story they are advertising all day is helping. I’m sure a lot tuned in last night for a lighter look at the Carl Williams story as well.

27. koverstreet April 20, 2010 at 9:54 am -

1.7m was about what I thought it would get.

Good ep first up.

And lol at that guys flat pavlova!

28. Ellie April 20, 2010 at 9:36 am -

Great numbers but I really thought it would nudge, or be over 2 million considering its fan-base, it wasn’t really up against much and the amount or promotion it got.

29. Craig April 20, 2010 at 9:31 am -

Good on MC, nice solid start, maybe no Mentalist helped them? How does Nine special last night compare to what The Mentalist normally does Mondays?

30. damo April 20, 2010 at 9:25 am -

it was pretty good last night i thought. tough bloody tasks. it will smash agnt tonight

31. AlvinC April 20, 2010 at 9:24 am -

I missed the episode because I had to go somewhere, Dam, I was so pumped but glad its doing well. Need to catchup on the masterchef website and was the five contestants in the picture, the ones eliminated?

32. Jimmy April 20, 2010 at 9:20 am -

I’ll be interested to see the timeshift viewers for both

33. Geoff Field April 20, 2010 at 9:15 am -

Loved Masterchef
    I didn’t watch it last year because of my early starts.
    So well produced, and full of emotion.

34. Tony April 20, 2010 at 9:12 am -

Masterchef is great entertainment, although I had to duck over to Nine to watch Big Bang Theory in the middle of it.

35. ndro April 20, 2010 at 9:12 am -