Nine launches FIXPlay, video catch-up.

By David Knox on April 12, 2010 / Filed Under News 40

Nine has launched its all-new catch-up video site, FIXPlay.

The NineMSN site, using Microsoft Silverlight , is themed to fit with its other FIX brands including TV FIX, and will offer streaming television shows including Underbelly, V, Getaway, Two and a Half Men, The Mentalist, The Big Bang Theory, Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries. Current episodes will be available to be viewed for up to 28 days after they have aired.

As well as Nine and Warner Bros titles it also has access to BBC Worldwide back-catalogue including Doctor Who, Little Britain, Spooks, Hotel Babylon, Torchwood, The Mighty Boosh, plus Digital Rights Group (DRG) content including Shameless, Balls of Steel and Father Ted.

It even lists Day of the Triffids with Dougray Scott and Joely Richardson, yet to air on Australian TV.

There will also be back-catalogue Nine titles including McLeod’s Daughters and Sea Patrol.

In the coming weeks it will add The Footy Show (AFL).

Niamh Collins, ninemsn’s Head of Entertainment, said: “We are so excited to be launching FIXPlay. Not only does it coincide with the premiere of Underbelly: The Golden Mile – meaning audiences can catch-up on aired episodes of this iconic program at any time – it also boasts a huge variety of local and international, current and back-catalogue programs for Australian audiences to enjoy.”

As with PLUS7 the site offers pre-roll, mid-roll and post-roll advertising of 15, 30 and 60 seconds duration.

The site is live today at www.fixplay.com.au however some titles are still to be ingested.

Channel Nine – Catch-Up

Derren Brown – Trick of Mind
Balls of Steel
Spaced
Green Wing
Black Books
Father Ted
The World of Lee Evans (stand-up)

BBC Worldwide – Back-Catalogue
Doctor Who
Little Britain
The Mighty Boosh
Spooks
Torchwood
Day of the Triffids
Hotel Babylon
Primeval

1. al November 15, 2010 at 11:02 am -

A good site but I will not be watching much there as they use far to much bandwidth.For instance an episode of Madmen which is 46 minutes uses 700mb. Other similar sites such as IView are providing 45 minute shows for about 225 mb and most ISP’s exclude their content from you download limit

2. Tony B October 25, 2010 at 1:59 am -

Wroks great under windows Xp, but not so good under windows 7 64 bit Home premium. Conflict issues between silverlight, antivirus programs and virus scans render the toolbar inoperable, ie it disappears so no pause, play or control on shows.
    ivew rates a supreme experince for longer on windows 7 64 bit, without issues for sure. The shows on this player are go though. Just wish it used flash, or didnt have the above issue. Not sire how it goes on a 32bit system, but I know XP is fine (32bit)

3. john June 13, 2010 at 4:47 pm -

just tried to watch something on FixPlay.
    the quality is fine but the ad at the beginning went for 2 minutes and 7 seconds! ah.

4. Logan May 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm -

Moonlight 2 & 3 doesn’t work with Ubuntu/Firefox

5. Like?Love! April 20, 2010 at 10:59 am -

Love the idea of a “Catch up” opportunity. Will be watching Big Bang Theory – love that show.

6. ABCKid April 15, 2010 at 8:12 pm -

how often do they up-date it because i want to watch fringe from last night and it doesnt seem to be up!

7. bindi April 14, 2010 at 10:37 am -

wonder what seasons of primeval will appear on there, still waiting for 2 & 3 to appear on 9 or GO!

8. Hui April 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm -

If I need to install Microsoft Silverlight to watch, I’m not interested.

9. Deafviewer April 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm -

I guess Nine have not yet added the captions to it like ABC has done?

10. Andrew April 13, 2010 at 11:07 am -

@Brekkie: Read the article… “The NineMSN site, using Microsoft Silverlight , is themed to fit with its other FIX brands including TV FIX”

FIX is a brand used by NineMSN for various themed websites

11. Brekkie April 13, 2010 at 3:49 am -

So where on earth does the name “FIXPlay” come from?

12. southpatt April 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm -

Wow! Those are some huge file sizes for some pretty low res graphics!

At over 600mb per Hour I don’t think I’ll be watching too much of these :(

Yes Peter! It Pigs out on your Download allowance!

13. Lostfan87 April 12, 2010 at 11:09 pm -

I see that fringe is up there, but only the last 2 eps. Dang it, I missed the ep before and was hoping I wouldn’t have to buy it on itunes to view it! $3 is a bit dear for missed eps, I’ve had to do it probs 3 times so far (twice with fringe and once with 24 seas 7). Wish you could ‘rent’ tv eps on itunes!!

14. Nathan B April 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm -

I’ll only use a catch up site if it is unmetered by my ISP.

iView wins so far.

15. Craig April 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm -

@stan – while I’m not condoning any illegal actions, these services from the commercial channels do have there probrlems, compared to the ABCs iView. It is an issue when you have data limits and speed issues, why would I watch a show on this new service won’t play smoothly because you have to stream it and not download it first also using up twice the data in the process. iView works okay and I can accept the lower quality since most of the time it plays okay.

I would rather pay to download them from iTunes knowing it will be much better quality and I can take it with me if I choose and even watch it on my TV.

16. itsross April 12, 2010 at 8:43 pm -

Silverlight? Why do you have to f##k everything you do online right the eff up channel 9? Use flash.

17. Jillian April 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm -

OMG Hotel Babylon!!!! Ive been waiting years for this to come back:’)

18. Stan April 12, 2010 at 7:08 pm -

Ignoring most of the usual whingers here & their *really* tough lives, I’d like to welcome Nine into 2010 & say I’ll give FIXPlay a go one day.

Craig, all you do on TV Tonight is say how you’re downloading this, & downloading that, yet you’re worried whether FIXPlay is unmetered or not? Give me a break!

19. Johnson April 12, 2010 at 6:58 pm -

I am not sure if the ABC and SBS will be happy with the British programs (which they had aired) being able on demand on their own websites And ninemsn.

20. darthfyer April 12, 2010 at 6:50 pm -

The viewers finally have somewhere to watch shows they missed on GO (aside from the now defunct early morning repeats).

I sure hope that more GO shows are added in due time. I have unfortunately missed the start of The Inbetweeners and Community, so i refuse to watch any episodes until i can watch the early episodes. When (and that is when) The Listener resumes, i’d hope to see it on FIXPlay too.

Like anyone here, i’m sure we’d like to see every episode of every show that airs on either Nine or GO, or any other channel on FTA for that matter, but i can’t see that ever happening.

At least they announced a formidable replacement for the new Home Shopping in the early morning on GO.

21. AA April 12, 2010 at 6:49 pm -

Good to see it Microsoft Silverlight-so I should be able to view this on my Mac witn Safari 4.

22. Andrew April 12, 2010 at 6:07 pm -

Nine just doesn’t learn. People don’t want to have to download software to view catch-up videos. iView is a perfect solution. I am not really familiar with 7Plus I’ve only used it a couple of times and from when I’ve tried it it’s not bad.

23. Paull April 12, 2010 at 5:46 pm -

Good on ‘em, at the moment they don’t have fringe or terminator but I’m sure those shows will be added soon.
    Still, it doesn’t take away from the fact that repeats of shows have stopped on Go!

24. Craig April 12, 2010 at 5:08 pm -

The one thing stopping me using this is the service is not unmetered, once that happens I might use it, maybe. I checked one show which was just under 40 mins long and it was 595Mb in size, where as other services are almost half that at around 350Mb. Why so big, is the quality that much better. I also have to wonder will the streaming break up if you don’t you have ADSL+2? iView has much smaller files sizes, less than 350Mb for 40 mins and the streaming is not 100% for me all the time on a 1.5Mbit connection ADSL.

Sorry Nine (and Seven) I’m not using a bloated service which requires me to install other software and then watch as my data limit vanishes.

Oh and please someone tell me Nine is not looking at stealing Doctor Who from the ABC!

25. animal April 12, 2010 at 4:35 pm -

How about the bloody the Logie award winning NRL Footy Show, channel bloody 9!?!

Mongrels they are.

26. Jay April 12, 2010 at 4:14 pm -

So much better quality than PLUS7! PLUS7 is terrible quality! iView and FIXPLAY are way better in picture quality!

27. Reubot April 12, 2010 at 3:52 pm -

Install Moonlight Bogues.

28. Seymor Smith April 12, 2010 at 3:42 pm -

Oops. it is season 1.

29. Seymor Smith April 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm -

They have the block labeled as season 1 but it’s clearly season 2. It’s also too blurry to watch in full screen on my 15cm laptop. Will stick to BBC iplayer and Channel 4′s player.

30. Ren April 12, 2010 at 3:09 pm -

Maybe it’s because they are in their teething process – but i checked out a few videos and noticed very poor quality audio and video. Especially compared to the other channels’ offerings It’s even worse when streamed to my big HD TV. Hey even Hulu (ahem!) looks better on my TV even considering the path it has to take (ahem!).

The BBC/DRG Back-Catalogue is probably the most interesting thing about this offering. I’d really prefer something without Silverlight though! Australia really needs it’s own version of Hulu!

31. mikeys April 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm -

Lo-def crap at this stage – the kind of resolution suitable only for a hand-held device.

32. Grinspoon April 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm -

The main problem with some of these is, there’s no real good way to watch them on TV.

If the WD TV boxes or something similar supported them, that would be sweet.

33. Dakota April 12, 2010 at 2:15 pm -

Here’s hoping they can try putting Sunday Roast up at some point! :o)

34. Chris April 12, 2010 at 1:50 pm -

To those getting Coming soon try it in IE, it didn’t work in Chrome for some reason.

35. Garion April 12, 2010 at 1:31 pm -

Why can’t they all just get along and use the iview platform (or something similar) and have all shows on there in a hulu fashion.

Then we can finally have nice things, like streaming onto the PS3, mobile phones, and TiVo’s.

But given the current state of TV in Australia, I don’t have my hopes up at all

36. peter April 12, 2010 at 1:15 pm -

Does this chew up downloads? Thanks :-)

37. Bogues April 12, 2010 at 12:46 pm -

Since it uses Silverlight, us Linux users can’t use it. 7plus and iView both use a flash player so works fine in Linux.

38. Neon Kitten April 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm -

Current site contents: “Coming soon”. In plain text. That’s it.

I’m one of more than a few people, by the way, who aren’t about to install Silverlight any time soon.

39. BM-dog April 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm -

Spooks! That’s unexpected but welcome. I hope they have the excellent first three seasons rather than the tripe the BBC has been serving up lately.

40. Evan April 12, 2010 at 12:34 pm -

Damn! No Home Shopping!

I’m so keen to catch-up on the Guthy Renker show I missed overnight ;-)