3D State of Origin approved, World Cup announcement expected

By David Knox on May 14, 2010 / Filed Under News 18

ACMA has issued a license to Nine for its 3D broadcast of State of Origin games to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Newcastle and Wollongong.

Previously only Sydney was confirmed to watch the matches in 3D. The licence is seen as a scientific trial to viewers with 3D-enabled digital television receivers.

SBS has also been granted a 3D trial license and  is expected to be utilised for its World Cup coverage. Senator Conroy will join The World Game host David Basheer this Sunday to make an “exclusive World Cup announcement” at 5pm on SBS ONE.

The ACMA license is for 19th May to 19 July 2010 inclusive.

“The ACMA supports the development and demonstration of new broadcasting technologies and is pleased to be able to assist with the trialling of 3D TV,” said ACMA Chairman, Chris Chapman.

“It is important people are aware that these trials have only been approved for this two month period.

Retailers, including Harvey Norman, will be using the trials to showcase the first generation of 3D television receivers.

The first State of Origin this year will take place on May 26th and the World Cup final takes place on July 11th in Johannesburg.

David Knox blogs Eurovision at sbs.com.au

1. S May 15, 2010 at 8:54 pm -

The origin will be a crap 4 or 5 3D camera affair at most.. with no 3D replays etc … If Harvey Norman weren’t the sponsors.. and paying for the 3D OB truck then it wouldn’t be happening…

SBS will be the ESPN 3D version with a committed and professionial OB output….

2. Andrew May 15, 2010 at 8:48 pm -

The Football World Cup in South Africa starts on the 11th June and it will still look good even in 2D. Looking forward to this having the finals on two channels so much more choice than before.

By the time it ends pre season will be gearing up and not too long for the season proper starts again, you know football never has an 6 month off season.

3. Bogues May 14, 2010 at 11:31 pm -

@paul

Sky Sports UK have broadcast some football (soccer) games in 3D. State of Origin will be the first free-to-air 3D sports broadcast in the world. Pretty cool I think.

I’m happy with my HD 5.1 SoO broadcast myself. Not sure what effect alcohol has on the ability to view things in 3D anyway. LOL.

4. Secret Squïrrel May 14, 2010 at 11:27 pm -

@Paul: Not if you count BSKYB showing EPL matches in pubs in 3D. Think S. Korea have been running a 3D channel since Jan this year that shows sport among other things.

@Bazza: No doubt you’ll be enjoying all that futuristic technology while sitting in your beanbag and dipping chunks of toasted bread into a pot of melted cheese.

5. Paul May 14, 2010 at 9:00 pm -

Does this mean that the State of Origin will be the first 3d sports broadcast in the world? How exciting if it was??

6. mikeys May 14, 2010 at 8:07 pm -

Are you able to provide the technical specs for the the 3D channeling? How is it being done? Do the 7 3D TV owners plus Harvey Norman stores have to tune into a different channel specifically for the 2 month demo? etc

I’d be very interested to know how spectrum is opened up etc specific to the Australian demo. Any info from any much appreciated.

7. Gary Wallace May 14, 2010 at 7:29 pm -

Typical Conroy, late again. It was in the papers today

8. Bazza May 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm -

I’m jealous, I remember 3D movies from 30+ years ago, darn it. A 3D TV would fit in so well with my laser disc video player and my 8-track cartridge deck too!

9. Paull May 14, 2010 at 5:52 pm -

Don’t have a 3d tv, so watching both the football and soccer world cup, will be restricted to 2d for me. Doesn’t bother me because I’m not a big fan of soccer and I’m pretty sure I’ll survive watching the football in 2d come may 26.

10. bill May 14, 2010 at 4:58 pm -

U reckon WIN will be part of the test broadcasts……sorry fell of my chair laughing, I doubt whether WIN or any broadcaster on the wrong side of the mountains will be doing the 3D broadcasts. Only for the big 3 in NSW, Sydney Wollongong and Newcastle. Even Canberra doesnt get a mention.

11. Craig May 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm -

Okay Time to go buy me a 3D TV… oh and move to Sydney, not!

12. Nathan May 14, 2010 at 4:35 pm -

Wow I’m jealous of those people who are lucky enough to afford 3D TVs. About 7 of them.

13. Tom May 14, 2010 at 4:18 pm -

This is awesome we can now watch our regional digital reception drop out and freeze up in 3D!

14. Bogues May 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm -

I wonder if the regional broadcast will get the obtrusive NBN / WIN rectangle logo in 3D as well :P

15. David Knox May 14, 2010 at 3:03 pm -

Same areas for SBS as per trial license.

16. thesportsfreak May 14, 2010 at 3:00 pm -

So does that mean it’s on a separate channel?

17. Super Opinion May 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm -

That’s interesting. I guess that means that WIN & NBN will be carrying 3D as well? That is certainly a development given the situation with WIN’s HD service.

I wonder where SBS will be broadcasting 3D, given they are a national broadcaster.

18. Glen May 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm -

Imagine Eurovision in 3D?! Since we have State of Origin & World Cup coming in 3D, imagine what that could do for Eurovision. It would be like a party in your living room!