Rules of Engagement, Simpsons update

By David Knox on August 16, 2010 / Filed Under Programming 36

Try not to look too surprised.

Some midweek changes have come through for TEN.

On Tuesday August 31st Rules of Engagement is out at 8pm. It will be replaced with a repeat of Modern Family, set to follow a first-run episode.

So far there is no change to ROE on Sundays.

Then on Wednesday September 1st The All New Simpsons Hour is out entirely, to be replaced by another episode of Undercover Boss: “Hooters.”

Presumably some of this pertains to TEN planning to bring forward Junior MasterChef too.

Update: Simpsons is out for one week only.

1. Craig August 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm -

@Karebear – did you know Adhir Kalyan used to be the central character of the short lived ‘Aliens in America’, seen here on GO! just after it launched last year.

2. Daniel August 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm -

The New Simpsons won’t be complete. Season 22 will start in America soon and if we don’t finish 21, that’s almost suggesting it’s going to it’s 3rd channel or it’s gone! I mean on ep per week is not going to finish it. MF shouldn’t get repeated until that season is over. The Simpsons hardly repeat episodes until a season is over for us. Usually the next year or Summer. ROE is something I don’t get. JMC is going to blow the ratings I feel. My sister was so excited just after the 1st promo around this week. She can’t wait. The only thing she and I are confused about is if the one who tempers their own chocolate. We don’t know if it’s the kid who nods yes, then hugs his mother? My guess it’s going to be a surprise.

3. Daniel August 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm -

when are we going to see some fantastic BBC series like Rev., Luther and Sherlock

4. Aimee Eddie August 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm -

I Love “Rules of Engagement!!!!!!!!!!!”
    It is a great show. Please don’t get rid of it.

5. Karebear August 17, 2010 at 11:49 am -

Rules of engagement is hilarious. The new guy (David Spade’s assistant) has breathed new life into the show. I hope ten don’t decide to ditch the show all together. I’m over modern fam.

6. Kylie August 17, 2010 at 10:24 am -

I agree – this is the funniest season of ROE yet!

We are in stitches from beginning to end!

7. Peter August 17, 2010 at 9:56 am -

The Hooters episode is one of the best for Undercover Boss. Watch it. There’s nothing risque about the ep at all despite it being about Hooters.

8. Neil August 17, 2010 at 9:03 am -

TEN are trying to burnoff Undercover Boss so that Talkin’ Bout Your Generation will move to 7.30pm Mondays making way for Junior Masterchef on 7.30pm Sunday. All New Simpsons will be back on Wednesdays

@ Andrew_81 all Modern Family episodes are standalone episodes and do not need to be viewed in any particular order

9. Corey August 17, 2010 at 1:12 am -

Instead of a Modern Family repeat, they should have a brand new episode of The Simpsons.

10. JB August 16, 2010 at 11:23 pm -

They are trying really hard to kill Modern Family aren’t they. No need to put repeats on already, it’s only its first season for christs sake. Now i’m no fan of Rules of Engagament , but it was rating quite well considering. Leave things alone.

11. Beckala August 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm -

Craig posted: I heard Neighbours could be bound for their new digital channel in 2011, opening up the slot for more news on the main channel.

Craig, the problem with that theory is that if they put it on the digital channel it won’t count for the Oz drama points they need – they need a certain amount of Oz drama programming shown between 5pm and 11pm on a main channel, with allowances for repeats on digital channels later. I doubt they are going to spend the bigger amounts of money for the more sophisticated dramas (telemovies or one hour dramas) that would make up as many drama points that Neighbours brings.

In my opinion, if they are going to enter the 6pm news race (which I kind of hope they don’t – I like my Simpsons at 6pm) then put Neighbours at 5pm (a little soap block with B&B), Simpsons at 5:30pm, News hour at six (which they can combine with the supposed Jennifer Byrne project – I think it would be better if she did a story or a couple of stories per news broadcast rather than another current affair clone) then 7PP. That’s just my opinion anyway…

12. Harry August 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm -

New Simpsons before TBYG, and just one episode of Modern Family per week is the way Id go.

13. tomothy August 16, 2010 at 8:17 pm -

Not only is Rules of Engagement rating well this season, it is also the funniest season so far, with many laugh out loud moments. I’ve had the oppertunity to see the current season twice so far, becuase the eps were good enough to see again.
    I seriously do not get the over acted, overly sterotyped Modern Family. I’ve seen the first five episode and hated it. The less of this show the better, but now they are adding more.

14. Chris August 16, 2010 at 8:04 pm -

There’s Modern Family all over the place! While I’m glad Ten is trying to give the show a chance (unlike the other networks),I think they’re messing around with this one a bit too much.

15. merlin August 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm -

Not happy that ten are going to drop the new Simpsons i’v been enjoying them every Wednesday and does anyone know if ten will fast track Merlin season 3.

16. Craig August 16, 2010 at 7:30 pm -

17. ryaneco August 16, 2010 at 7:03 pm -

Don’t see the need to plough through UB either; Even if it means holding over episodes for after the commonwealth games.

As for Modern Family / Rules maybe air New Rules 6.30 Sunday followed by rpt and new Modern Family Tuesday followed by rpt to slow down on the rush through episodes.

As for Simpsons; I think it still has its place on Ten’s main channel it rates decently and does really well in the demos; why would Ten shun a show that averaged 900k for 2 new episodes; that is not bad at all.

18. Johnson August 16, 2010 at 6:57 pm -

@newtaste: yes, there is an Undercover Boss episode based at the Hooters restaurant. I would have thought that the episode would be shown after 8.30pm.

19. Bob August 16, 2010 at 6:53 pm -

I knew they would do this to the simpsons yet again

20. waggzzz August 16, 2010 at 6:42 pm -

maybe theres a place for new simpsons on ten’s neext digital channel

21. Molly August 16, 2010 at 6:32 pm -

Why Ten? ROE is rating pretty well this season. I’m starting to enjoy it now

22. Craig August 16, 2010 at 6:23 pm -

UB – Hooters… might be time to check out this show LOL

As for the other I got sick of waiting so when else where… sorry TEN.

23. Andrew_81 August 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm -

Well that will certainly help the show, a new episode of Modern Family followed by a repeat, that will keep the storylines flowing nicely and not confuse anyone who then might switch off.

I was being sarcastic.

24. Nick August 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm -

With the success of Gruen Nation, Ten should put Micallef’s brilliant writing brain to work in other ways.

One episode of Newstopia per week, re-worked to be a bit more like the Daily Show would get around a million viewers, I reckon.

7 min sketch, 7 min sketch, 7 min interview. Add an audience.

25. Corey August 16, 2010 at 4:58 pm -

Oh wait, I think it’s still out. “The All New Simpsons Hour is out entirely” and I think Undercover Boss is an hour show.

26. Corey August 16, 2010 at 4:55 pm -

Wait… so is a brand new Simpson episodes still going to be on September 1st or not? Thanks.

27. newtaste August 16, 2010 at 4:52 pm -

Undercover Boss: “Hooters.” ?????

28. David Knox August 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm -

The All New Simpsons Hour becomes The All New Simpsons. One single ep this Wed and next with a Rpt after each. I avoided using the Gone: Simpsons headline so as not to confuse people.

29. jim August 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm -

This season of ROE aired in the US a while back and if TEN kept ploughing through it at this pace, they’d have no episodes left to show.

30. Corey August 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm -

Ugh… this is terrible news Channel 10. Not happy. I want new Simpsons. I hope they find another timeslot for it soon. Will there be a double new episode this Wednesday and next Wednesday then instead of a repeat at 8pm?

31. Rod August 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm -

Repeats of… the episodes everyone missed because they forgot about them on Sunday night, perhaps?

32. Ellis August 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm -

More double ups and repeats…. The story of all three networks this year!

33. sillygostly August 16, 2010 at 4:43 pm -

The Simpsons will be limited to just 1 new episode as of this week (it will be followed by a 20th season repeat).

34. Paull August 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm -

I’ll be honest, I’ve been quite the vocal critic of new simpsons episodes. But, I’ve actually enjoyed the last few that have been on ten- sure they don’t compare
    to the 90s simpsons, but they weren’t as directionless or desperate as the last few seasons have been.

35. Anthony Mai August 16, 2010 at 4:28 pm -

All new Simpsons out already?! And a 3rd ep of Modern Family( (repeat) in one week?!

I reckon Talkin Bout Your Generation will move to 6.30 on Sundays for Junior MasterChef

36. Jerome August 16, 2010 at 4:28 pm -

i don’t think a repeat of modern family will do much better than a new ROE. especially with these double episodes of MF the beginning of the season was not that long ago. and lots of people saw them when i had the MC leadin there wouldn’t be much audience potential lft.

i’d put a double new MF on tues and put the second undercover boss on sunday.