Vale: Victoria Longley

By David Knox on August 31, 2010 / Filed Under News 10

Actress Victoria Longley, whose credits include Wildside, Young Lions, Water Rats, All Saints and Blackjack, has died, aged 49.

She died early yesterday at Royal North Shore Hospital after succumbing to breast cancer, her second bout with the disease.

Longley was prominent in the Sydney theatre scene, last seen on the Sydney stage in 2008, in Sydney Theatre Company’s production of David Hare’s The Vertical Hour.

Tina Bursill, a friend for more than 15 years, said Longley had felt very passionate about the role. ”It was one of her greatest moments on stage. She really embraced it,” Bursill said yesterday.

She also paid tribute to Longely’s almost forensic examination of script and character.

‘She was able to channel that, and her work was so honest and daring because she was able to investigate the material,” Bursill said.

Her films included Diana And Me, Turtle Beach and The More Things Change.

Source: smh.com.au

1. Luda September 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm -

A memorial site was created for Victoria Longley! Honor her memory by contributing to her memorial site victorialongley.people2remember.com/

2. dave August 31, 2010 at 7:59 pm -

Victoria was a classy and elegant actor. Gracing the big and small screen as well as the stage; she unfortunately was not a household name. I did not know her, personally, but do know Tina Bursill, and i am sure that she was by Victoria’s side in her last moments. I am most saddened by this loss.

3. Allie August 31, 2010 at 7:13 pm -

Oh my goodness, she was too young to die. Great actress, I’ve always enjoyed her work.

4. belinda August 31, 2010 at 3:36 pm -

Oh that is so sad. I loved her in Dirtwater Dynasty and Wildside.

5. girlygal August 31, 2010 at 3:16 pm -

What a lovely lady and talented actress. God bless her x

6. NQ resident August 31, 2010 at 3:07 pm -

This is sad. I’ve been trying to remember the show Victoria was in where she played the wife of a man placed in a detention centre during WW I/II. Powerful acting. RIP.

7. Tango August 31, 2010 at 2:42 pm -

My goodness that’s sad – way too young! She was such a brilliant actress! Vale Victoria.

8. Tony H. August 31, 2010 at 12:38 pm -

Sad and surprising news. I’ll always remember her for her roles in such mini-series as The Dirtwater Dynasty and The Alien Years in the Late 1980s. Another loss to the local industry – far too early.

9. sarah h August 31, 2010 at 11:54 am -

Rest in peace.

10. Mike August 31, 2010 at 11:54 am -

Gee that’s sad. She was still quite young. She was great in Wildside and her guest roles in GP, All Saints and Farscape.