Airdate: Conan

By David Knox on October 28, 2010 / Filed Under Programming 43

Conan O’Brien’s new chat show is coming to GEM.

The new show, simply titled Conan, is his new venture following his infamous exit from NBC. It will air in the US on cable channel TBS.

On GEM it will air at 11:30pm weeknights beginning on Tuesday November 9th. That pits it directly against The Late Show with David Letterman.

It may also have an airing on Pay TV, but so far there’s nothing official.

1. Jimminy Glick October 31, 2010 at 10:28 pm -

I have never heard of GEM wtf is GEM? Cant it just air on the comedy channel again?

2. yeah October 29, 2010 at 9:13 pm -

I will be watching Conan every day but not on Gem – overall I think Gem programming is very poor

3. camo October 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm -

Bravo 9 well done…as long as he is on tv at somestage …and since he is late night in the USA then even better, it makes sense to have him there…I will personally record and watch the next day…

now all the wallys whinging about ” awww we cant see it”…its what the industry wants you to do, go our and update your boxes., put good content on a Digital channel then people will come… unless of course you are still driving in a Fj Holden…then go back to the black and white days….and dont say it costs too much, you can get a crapy HD box for $90 at Big W

4. Grinspoon October 29, 2010 at 9:45 am -

Team Co Co!

Awesome news, i was wondering when we’d hear news either way about this on Aus TV.

5. yeah October 29, 2010 at 3:15 am -

strange they decided to put Conan on the channel which the least amount of people can view out of their 3 channels – this is worthy of being on the main channel 9 or if not at least on Go – forget HD only Gem – Letterman is on Ten – Conan should be on 9 – I will be watching Conan 4 times a week but not on Gem channel if you know what I mean, I plan to watch each episode at least a few hours before Gems late timeslot

6. vinny October 29, 2010 at 12:21 am -

Despite Nine mucking with shows on GO! this year, they have rescheduled nearly every show they have taken off mid air eg The Hills , Middle, Human Target etc Dark Blue… surprisingly this year it is Ch 7 that is this year the worst at canning shows and not rescheduling and playing the series out in full. Mainly their factuals .

7. Craig October 28, 2010 at 11:29 pm -

I just thought, what happens when Nine wants to shows HD Tennis or Cricket late night live from the UK or something, I guess Coco will be shafted once again!

8. Tbone23 October 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm -

Good to see it’s going air tho not having a HD tv sucks for me

9. Mick October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm -

Great news. Doesn’t bother me what channel Conan’s on as long as it doesn’t get shafted by 9 from the schedule.

10. casting couch October 28, 2010 at 9:53 pm -

GEM is supposed to to be the chicks’ station, no? But this is a Nine channel however, so anything can happen.

11. Stan October 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm -

Geez! I haven’t seen such sexism here since Good Game changed co-hosts!

If it’s late-at-night, then this show will work on any ‘male’ or ‘female’ channel. Not that there’s that much difference between GO & GEM anyway. Plus, because it’s 11:30pm, Nine programmers won’t mess with it too much (except when movies or sport might push it up the schedule a little). Remember the fairly consistent midnight/1am timeslot Letterman was getting at Nine for many years?

I can’t believe when an Australian network finally decides to air one of the world’s best talk show hosts, people still find something to complain about.

12. Dutchy October 28, 2010 at 9:14 pm -

Awesome news. I’ve always liked Conan. He can be a little over the top sometimes, but he’s pretty quick witted and he has great bands on his show.

13. Mr. Do-Bee October 28, 2010 at 8:30 pm -

PM, you won’t see all those old characters from Conan’s Late Night and Tonight shows on the TBS show. NBC’s exit deal with Conan included the rights to most of his characters. CoCo will have to come up with some new material.

14. Justin October 28, 2010 at 7:14 pm -

good to see Conan coming back but why GEM? why 11.30pm? surely Comedy could air it at an earlier time like 10pm

15. Andrew October 28, 2010 at 5:57 pm -

I hope for some early morning re-runs, as with my PVR I can’t record a channel and watch something else at the same time (Unless its something like record go, watch 9/gem etc)

16. yeah October 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm -

This show in the hands of 9 is dangerous

if it does not go to a cable channel I will watch it via a much more reliable source

17. PM October 28, 2010 at 2:14 pm -

Great news! Can’t wait to see Conan, Andy, Jimmy, La Bamba, Pender, Deon, Triumph, Pierre Bernard, The Masturbating Bear, Vomiting Kermit, The FedEx Pope, Shoeverine, Frankenstein, Cody Devereaux, The Funhole Guy, The Interrupter, Cactus Chef playing We Didn’t Start The Fire on a flute, The Slipnuts, Conando, Abe Vigoda, The Walker Texas Ranger Lever, Preparation H Raymond, The Evil Puppy and Conan’s Ford Taurus. One character we won’t be seeing? Little Jay Leno.

18. Craig October 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm -

On eBay I just paid for a cheap HDTV USB Tuner for my PC, so I can record any interesting interviews :D Time to save up for a proper HD PVR.

19. starionx October 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm -

Pfft… Never liked Conan, and never will. Bring back Leno!!

20. Bella October 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm -

Yay! I was just thinking the other day it would be good if one of the networks could put on another late night talk show. Though I agree with everyone else, GEM seems like a weird place to have it. Then again they’re putting sport on GEM. So why they pitched it as a women’s channel is beyond me. It would be good if they could repeat the previous nights Conan on GO! at say midday? Instead of repeats of Here’s Lucy or whatever boring show is on at that time.

21. koverstreet October 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm -

@ marcf You are so right Leno is lamo. Letterman is my favorite but Conan is not far behind,he’s almost like a young Letterman. And don’t women watch Conan as well? I agree GO! probably would have been better but GEM is fine as well. Time to finally get that HD STB that I can record onto!

22. Jason S October 28, 2010 at 11:46 am -

Effing wrapped with this news. Although its also marred by the though that Nine will yank this in a week… but I’m still stoaked. Will give me a reason to watch GEM.

23. chk chk October 28, 2010 at 10:35 am -

I would have preferred it to be Chelsea Lately…

24. billy balakalai October 28, 2010 at 10:33 am -

this is great news today – but we all know what will happen eventually….

25. milk crate October 28, 2010 at 10:22 am -

how random for it to be on GEM, alot of girls must watch Conan.

26. chrissyboy October 28, 2010 at 10:21 am -

Couldn’t care less what channel it is on – I’m just happy it is getting a run in Oz…..Hopefully in HD then!!

Please do not remove or screw around with the show, GEM/9…Ever!!!

27. Knowfirst October 28, 2010 at 10:08 am -

Todd – being a Warner Bros product it goes to the Nine Network, not the Seven Network and 7mate… there’s a thing called program supply deals.

28. Bacon October 28, 2010 at 10:07 am -

Such brilliant news for Free to Air. I now have a reason to watch GEM!

Only problem is I need to buy a HD recordable HDD recorder… my SD one just won’t cut it here… Conan is worth it though.

29. DansDans October 28, 2010 at 9:44 am -

GEM is supposed to be women’s channel… right?

This, with all the westerns really show how its aimed at its target audience

30. marcf October 28, 2010 at 9:34 am -

Aaaaand this is why the Gods invented Tivo. Letterman & Conan. The important thing is that no one is watching Jay Leno.

31. Jezza October 28, 2010 at 9:18 am -

Never thought I’d say this……..I love GEM !!

32. Todd October 28, 2010 at 9:03 am -

on Gem? wtf??? 7mate would’ve been better off picking it up!

33. Paul October 28, 2010 at 8:58 am -

GEM?, I Thought it would be better suited for GO! instead & the Comedy Channel must must show Conan as well.

34. Nick October 28, 2010 at 8:44 am -

Hooray! Conan is the best. He isn’t a personality I would associate with Channel Nine or GEM though.

35. tomothy October 28, 2010 at 8:36 am -

I would have thought this would be better suited on GO! than GEM.

36. KLFH October 28, 2010 at 8:29 am -

That is marvellous news! I now intend to take the comedy channel off my foxtel package.

37. darthfyer October 28, 2010 at 8:23 am -

Sweet!

But on GEM? Not sure Conan will meet the target audience of GEM, but oh well.

38. Nathan from Extra Source Podcast October 28, 2010 at 8:05 am -

bring back the late night legends to fox…Conan’s back, no bring back Leno and ill be happy!

39. Jake October 28, 2010 at 8:03 am -

Seems an odd fit for GEM but, at least it would be some new content!

I’m hoping Foxtel picks it up, so I have some means of taping it.

40. Chris October 28, 2010 at 7:38 am -

11.30? Lame lame lame. Do Nine understand the difference between late-night TV here and in America? No reason for this to not be on around 9.30 or 10.

41. Craig October 28, 2010 at 7:10 am -

That’s great news for FTA, just a shame it’s up against Leterman and on a channel I can’t record… time for an upgrade.

42. Rutzie October 28, 2010 at 5:42 am -

I would’ve thought it was better suited to GO! but this is great news for all Conan fans. As long as it stays in that slot and is not moved around I’ll be watching it every night. Please do not screw this show around Nine.

43. ross. October 28, 2010 at 4:52 am -

I for one welcome our new ranga overlord. They’re multiplying, I swear.