Axed: Caprica

By David Knox on October 28, 2010 / Filed Under News 24

Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica has been cancelled by the US Syfy network.

The news follows speculation about whether the low-rating series would be renewed or not.

“We appreciate all the support that fans have shown for Caprica and are very proud of the producers, cast, writers and the rest of the amazing team that has been committed to this fine series,” said Mark Stern, EVP of Original Programming at Syfy.

“Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, Caprica has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season.”

Unaired episodes of the drama about the Adama and Graystone families will be rescheduled by Syfy next year.

In the last week Syfy did announce a new Battlestar prequel telemovie Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, which centres on a young William Adama.

Caprica is currently airing in Australia on 7mate on Thursday night where it remains in schedule.

Source: EW

1. DAniel March 16, 2011 at 10:27 am -

thats not on, more and more great soon be classic shows like this axed y do the most people got to watch this cop bullshit shows like CSI and NCIS shit i find it mind numbinly boring i mean how many ways can people die that makes me sick to watch that mindless bullshit pls reconsider axeing the show

2. Erin-Rose November 16, 2010 at 8:18 pm -

Oh no, I loved that show :(

3. Jo November 15, 2010 at 11:37 pm -

I just started getting into it here, I guess there is no appreciation for good sci fi shows. When battlestar galactic was on I was so into it then the station that aired it kept changing it’s time slot for other shows, and slowly it began being played later and later. The real killer was that you’d wait up for it just to find out that it wasn’t playing that night.

4. hez November 5, 2010 at 2:27 pm -

Real shame syfy need to give at least 2 series in good time slots to build audience…

5. Harvey35 October 30, 2010 at 11:26 pm -

That is disappointing , I got it to this and SGU despite them both being the new style of dull sci-fi.

6. Matthew See October 29, 2010 at 9:03 am -

I have encounter a delay in seeing the latest Caprica episode and it looks like it has become a bad omen in now finding out that the series has now been cancelled.

7. Adam M. October 28, 2010 at 6:38 pm -

unfortunate that it ended so early, but i was never as invested in this show as BSG. I am looking forward to the telemovie though (and i agree with Jimmy, i really hope SGU is safe)

8. brisvegas October 28, 2010 at 6:33 pm -

I’m amazed it lasted this long. I’ve strugled to stay interested in it. This idea for blood and chrome should really have been the idea for a new tv series after galactica – not caprica. I just hope they manage to somehow wrap it up in some sort of decent fashion – or in some sort of cliff hanger that may bridge relatively easily into blood & chrome.

9. Mac October 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm -

Frak! Really felt as though it was starting to take off. I guess people don’t have the patience for slow burners anymore.

10. bindi October 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm -

It was getting quite good, hope we get to atleast see zoe turn on them and see what started the war. Would also be good if 7mate could run through all the episodes, wouldn’t be the first time that we have gone ahead of america on a show due to them axing it.

11. Greg October 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm -

I loved BSG, but I have struggled with this show so I wouldn’t say i’ll be sad to see it go. On the other hand the new telemovie sounds quite interesting and I feel, a better direction.

12. Secret Squïrrel October 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm -

@Jimmy and Anthony – do not mention SG Universe in an article about the BSG Universe. That is blasphemy.

13. merlin October 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm -

Terrible news i have been enjoying this show on 7mate i just hope Stargate Universe isn’t next oh well at least we have the telemovie to look forward to.

14. Craig October 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm -

I like the show, pity even on SyFy it’s not getting them numbers needed.

@steven guy – that’s a dumb attitude to have, do you stop watching all your shows once they announce it won’t be renewed for the next season?

I’d like to know what it means as they have only just started the 2nd half of the season, will the leave us hanging for months? I just hope with the number of eps left to air we have some conclusion before the final.

15. Barry October 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm -

Disappointed…so say we all!

16. PT Ryan October 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm -

Lots of terrible scheduling decisons doomed this show from the start. Releasing the pilot on DVD several months before it aired put a huge dent in the inital ratings, while the long mid-season break (why would you do that to a show in its first season???) and move to Tuesdays sealed its fate. As the show finished production months ago, don’t expect any resolution in the finale, and if BSG’s seasons were anything to go by, it’ll end on a frakking cliffhanger. Really disappointed by this.

17. Peter October 28, 2010 at 11:45 am -

damn, just started watching the recorded eps on my tivo, was really getting into it!

18. Matt October 28, 2010 at 11:33 am -

Ohhh…. this has ruined my day. This was such an amazing series.

19. David Knox October 28, 2010 at 11:29 am -

Lazer please click on the Source if you want more specific info about US programming.

20. Anthony October 28, 2010 at 11:27 am -

Well, can’t say i’m saddened by this.

I hope they don’t cancel SGU though.

21. Lazer October 28, 2010 at 11:14 am -

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does it mean by unaired episodes? does that mean this week episode was the last till they reschedule it next year?

22. steven guy October 28, 2010 at 11:00 am -

Oh well, no point watching that anymore !

23. jason October 28, 2010 at 10:29 am -

this is some awful sick joke isn’t it … say it’s not so.

24. Jimmy October 28, 2010 at 10:24 am -

damn… i just hope star gate universe isn’t next