Gone: The Boss is Coming to Dinner

By David Knox on October 1, 2010 / Filed Under Programming 34

Channel Nine has pulled The Boss is Coming to Dinner after just two episodes.

The series, in which an employer meets 3 prospective candidates over a home-cooked meal, pulled just 655,000 viewers in its second outing – a drop of 465,000 viewers from The Block which preceded it.

On Wednesday night it was thrashed by The Gruen Transfer on 1.4m and Spicks and Specks on 1.21m. City Homicide nudged 1.1m and House was 919,000.

Based on a UK format, the series was produced by Shine Australia who are believed to have had a deal for 10 episodes.

It will be replaced by RPA, which pulled 720,000 in the later 9:30pm timeslot. At 9:30pm Nine will air new episodes of Amazing Medical Stories.

Nine has also pulled “Encore” episodes which were to screen over the weekend.

Figures for The Block haven’t been spectacular but Nine will be happy it held its audience in the second week.

Nine is yet to indicate any plans for unaired episodes of Boss.

1. NJ October 3, 2010 at 10:34 am -

I always wonder how a show like this is given the green light in the first place. Someone obviously comes up with the idea and then pitches it, and in a case like this their pitching skills must be amazing. Who sits in a boardroom and thinks “Oh, so it’s a show where the audience watches someone make a meal and then sit a job interview – Awesome!”?
    Even if it gets past that first hurdle, aren’t pilots usually filmed before it’s commissioned as a series? I saw some of the first episode and it was The Pits. If that was the pilot, who could possibly have watched that and thought it would be a commercial success?
    It’s a sad indictment on the decision-makers.

2. Jason D. October 3, 2010 at 9:01 am -

Why do they even call it an encore screening when the audience isn’t demanding it. They used to just call it a repeat, and had the title encore screenings for big rating shows, but now everything that is repeated is labelled “encore”.

3. Jack! October 3, 2010 at 8:03 am -

The show was unwatchable, it just made me cringe!
    Yes, Nine desperately need new creative decision makers … at least someone who actually likes to watch TV other than endless sport!
    I’ll do it!!!!

The Block is also lacking this time, dull host and not very engaging cast.

4. Ronnie October 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm -

It’s probably about time someone said said this but Michael Healy has never stepped up. He doesn’t get entertainment, he doesn’t get drama, he doesn’t get comedy and he doesn’t get women. What is the point of putting everyone through the endless charade of Nine programming? Eddie Maguire made them do Underbelly, and lucky he did. If you take Underbelly out of the mix there has been nothing going on at this network for years.

5. vinny October 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm -

@ Natasha – I am guessing you don’t have a HD set top box or new tv

GEM (General Entertainment and Movies) is an Australian free-to-air high definition digital television channel, launched by the Nine Network on Sunday 26 September 2010 at 6am. The launch, originally planned for 24 September at midday, was rescheduled due to “technical issues”, by the Nine Network.

Nine Network CEO David Gyngell stated “GEM is part of Nine’s strategy to create a cluster of complementary channels to cover all key audiences.” The channel is aimed at women over 35.

6. Secret Squïrrel October 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm -

@Adam – we’re not savages because we don’t like a show. I doubt many of us would actually be happy that some lighting tech or production assistant might lose their job over this. However, it’s a tough game, and if Shine make a show that hardly anyone watches…well, you can see what I’m saying.

7. Dane October 2, 2010 at 2:57 am -

@Phoenix727 Your anti-shine? And hope everything they touch turns to lead?

Wow, did you got for a job with them and not get it, seriously whether you like reality or not you have to be impressed by the standard and quality of their work.

8. Kym October 2, 2010 at 1:02 am -

Not surprised at this decision. I was struggling to understand the concept behind this show. I mean, how can they be your boss if you haven’t been hired yet? A more accurate title would be “Your Prospective Employer is Coming to Dinner” :)

9. franz chong October 2, 2010 at 12:59 am -

The Block I can understand but whatever did happen to those changing rooms and airline/airport type shows?bring back some of the latter would be nice

10. David Knox October 2, 2010 at 12:39 am -

Zambora: check recent Audience Inventory.

11. Phoenix727 October 2, 2010 at 12:33 am -

Good, I’m glad its gone, I’m pretty well anti-Shine. I think it’s an organisation made up of people who think we love Reality TV.

I hope everything they touch turns to lead. I want less reality on my TV, the only reality on TV I want to see is when sport is on or when I’m watching ABC News 24.

Bring back Drama and Comedy to TV, let’s at least have the appearance that people who work on TV have a brain and an original thought from time to time.

12. vicki b October 2, 2010 at 12:18 am -

Never was tempted to watch this, the idea was repulsive.

13. Zambora October 2, 2010 at 12:10 am -

@jase and your comment ” I think it must just be me but I never watch Nine. I just don’t like the network….t?

Be interesting to see how TVTonight viewersslect programmes and channels.
    ike you Jase, I place Nine at button list after channel 31,sbs2,..

Trusting Nine’s prgramming is a waste.

14. Adam October 1, 2010 at 11:42 pm -

I feel sorry for all the production crew, field and post who lose their jobs at shine. But you savages wouldn’t consider this.

15. Natasha October 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm -

What is GEM? Have I missed something?

16. Natasha October 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm -

What’s the bet The Block will go soon.

17. Jase October 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm -

I think it must just be me but I never watch Nine. I just don’t like the network….there is just something about it which repels me. And Welcome Home as their promo? Welcome Home to what?

18. Daniel October 1, 2010 at 9:34 pm -

:)) This just great. The boos didn’t finish his/her dinner and that’s what it deserves. Hooray!

19. Zambora October 1, 2010 at 8:22 pm -

Shudder – the premise of show make me want to vomit
    As per usual can’t imagine someone living in small pokey flat or cramped house would make last 3 – I suppose all homes are spotless, no clutter and have right sponsors produvts in view.

Nine’s programming geniuses and talent spotters must be starring this year.
    Flop shows on the up…
    Hot shows well there is……

20. Robert October 1, 2010 at 8:02 pm -

Woeful idea to start with! All the clever editing in the world couldn’t make this tripe worth watching. How about letting some script writers have a go? Ever heard of sit-coms Nine?

21. aznfratboy October 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm -

Really…? Who was the genius at Channel 9 that thought this would actually work? And against such good quality competition, like House, CM and Spicks/Gruen combo? Hell, give it another month and I swear Anna Pihl on SBS would’ve been beating it.

22. Craig October 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm -

Yes another over hyped reality show bites the dust!

23. Jenny October 1, 2010 at 6:06 pm -

Middle management at Channel 9 is woeful.

24. Jacob October 1, 2010 at 5:48 pm -

This really was a tragic attempt by Nine to cash in on the cooking genre. Pleased to see it failed spectacularly

25. SGT October 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm -

The concept was stupid, channel 9 needs to find shows that are more interesting.

26. Nathan October 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm -

Stupid fromt the begining

27. vinny October 1, 2010 at 5:06 pm -

This would work better on GEM

With 3 channels there is no reason now to not play out episodes of shows.

28. Leon October 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm -

Welcome to Ch9′s new show “The boss is coming to the Unemployment line at Centrelink” :P

29. chk chk October 1, 2010 at 3:30 pm -

oh that’s sad, I quite like this show… maybe the boss will come to show, maybe the Boss will come to GEM instead?

30. Lucy October 1, 2010 at 3:22 pm -

Your funny Darcy!
    Atleast Nine can produce a footy show and dont even have the football rights!
    How many failures is Seven upto now?
    Have lost count!!

31. Darcy October 1, 2010 at 3:05 pm -

Surprise!!! Not. Another awful program from Nine. Not suite sure why they can’t see how stupid these programs are. Almost like someone dared them to put it on for a laugh! This show belongs in the same bin as Dance Your Ass Off.

My mate and I have a ‘Nine Weeks’ game, where we bet on whether or not a new Nine show will last to Nine weeks, needless to say, we both won on this one :P

Can’t wait to see what rubbish show Nine comes up with next :D

32. Ron October 1, 2010 at 3:03 pm -

GEM?

33. Mark October 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm -

It lasted a week and a half longer than I thought it would!

34. thestalker October 1, 2010 at 2:47 pm -

The Block kicks some ass in the demographics. I hope The Boss moves to 10.30pm.