Renewed: Days of Our Lives

By David Knox on November 9, 2010 / Filed Under News 13

It’s barely beating on Australian television, but Days of Our Lives has been renewed for two more years by NBC.

The win for the long running US daytime soap even surprised Ken Corday, executive producer, whose parents were co-creators of the series 45 years ago.

The surprising news follows Guiding Light‘s cancellation in 2009 after 72 years, and the end of As the World Turns.

“This is a time of a lot of uncertainty in the soap community,” Corday told the NY Times.

The deal will see the show will air to September 2013, with an option to extend the contract one year if ratings remain steady.

The show has been on air in the US since 1965.

Days of Our Lives airs in Australia on Nine where it attracts ratings of around 100,000 or less.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

1. a_c November 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm -

As a major fan of Crystal Chappell I watch Days, pity we are a year & 3 weeks behind the US. I don’t trust the ratings, usually none of those statistics take in account for non living viewing. I know I don’t watch it at 2pm each day not when I have Foxtel IQ. There is also full episodes up on the internet & sites that stream live US broadcasting, I know I have used those at times myself.

So thankfull Days has been renewed as the cast are a fun bunch of people even if the storylines don’t always reflect their talents.

2. slappa November 9, 2010 at 8:36 pm -

i love this show its way better than b& bmaybe a 430 start would be good on nine or even on go

3. Sam November 9, 2010 at 4:17 pm -

Ratings on channel 9 appear to be comparable with other shows at 2pm. But its days on Nine may be numbered if Y&R is anything to go by.

4. Adam Oriti Art November 9, 2010 at 2:26 pm -

Well TV and Radio are slightly different mediums.. and this is TV Tonight.. forgot about radio for sec. ;)

5. Karebear November 9, 2010 at 11:17 am -

Oh well we still have a couple years to entangle ourselves in the lives of the residents of Salem (I admit I enjoy watching it when I can. Have been absolutely Addicted to the show at times over the years). It’ll be around for even longer if nine keep ditching it for the stupid cricket!!! Remember a few years ago they skipped four or five years to bring us up to date with the US. Now we’re already over a year behind again!!!

6. stevie g November 9, 2010 at 11:15 am -

Yes that’s right The Guiding Light had 72 years of Broadcast history, meaning radio and tv. I didn’t realise Days was rating so badly here. I’m enjoying it at the moment, pity it is so far behind US eps though. We have some things to look forward to as a lot of past characters will be returning over the next year. It’s already started with the return of Justin, Carly and Lawrence.

7. Paul C November 9, 2010 at 10:17 am -

Hi Guys,

Might have this wrong, but I think that Guiding Light was a radio serial that started in the 1930s and switched to television in the 50s – hence the 72 years

8. Benj November 9, 2010 at 10:08 am -

Adam …… Guiding Light started on radio in 1937 and moved to television in 1952.

9. David Knox November 9, 2010 at 10:01 am -

I will be sure to correct the Hollywood Reporter. Thanks guys!

10. Billy November 9, 2010 at 9:47 am -

1952 was the year Guiding Light started , called The Guiding Light from the beginning. As the World Turns was going for 54 years.

11. Jake November 9, 2010 at 9:04 am -

Yes!!! Although seeing how far back we are behind the US we’ll have it on in Australia for an extra year and a bit.

12. Dave November 9, 2010 at 8:34 am -

ill come out of the closet and admit i watch the show. does it cost more to get a program in widescreen or isnt days being filmed in 16:9 yet? ill throw a party when that happens. and good to see its got another 2 years at least.

13. Adam Oriti Art November 9, 2010 at 8:29 am -

wasnt Guiding Light on for 52yrs? 72 seems too long!