SPEED is on the air

By David Knox on November 1, 2010 / Filed Under Pay TV 29

Several new channels joined the Foxtel platform from today.

The newest addition is SPEED, a dedicated motorsports channel managed by Premier Media Group.

It offers racing coverage 24 hours a day such as NASCAR, British and International Speedway, Super X, the GT1 World Championship, Rolex Sports Cars. There will also be prime time racing from the V8 Supercars, Dakar Rally, Formula 2 and World Series Sprintcars.

MTV is also now available to all subscribers via the basic package.

The new HD Channels from today include
SPEED (channel 505)
SPEED HD (channel 206)
MTV Hits (channel 808)
MTVN Live (channel 812)
MTVN Live HD (channel 252)
BBC Knowledge HD (channel 242)
Nat Geo Wild HD (channel 238)
FOXTEL 3D (channel 201).

FOXTEL also adds the following +2 channels:
National Geographic Channel +2 (channel 622)
Nat Geo ADVENTURE +2 (channel 629)
13th STREET +2 (channel 163)
TLC +2 (channel 647) the new-look Discovery Travel & Living channel.

The following will be moving to new channel numbers to accommodate the new channels:
ESPN HD (channel 211)
UKTV HD (channel 214)
MAIN EVENT (channel 510)
Discovery +2 (channel 620).

1. Tony Hill January 9, 2011 at 2:26 pm -

Folks for all those very unhappy with Austars treatment regarding SPEED Join us facebook.com/topic.php?topic=267&post=1447&uid=132480480109004#!/AUSTAR?v=app_2373072738 and help put the pressure on the mongrals

2. Alistair Tassie January 4, 2011 at 8:27 am -

Come on Austar, surely you have figured out how to screw us some more, we had to purchase numerous channel packages before to get a range of motorsport, now it’s on one channel you don’t know what to do. I’ll pay the money, just give us what we want. We have Turbomax, showing Top Gear episodes I saw on free to air years ago. Lift your game or lose another customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. darren December 27, 2010 at 1:11 am -

n januarynumerous emails and calls disgusted with austar not accessing ‘ speed channel’…my last call i put in formal complaint the woman had to go away for a while on phone to lodge to manager of austar.
    I since had to buy the one time payment for direct tv online to watch the end of the nascar series..
    I am still waiting after my lodgement ultimatum of I will pay for austar until january 2011 and then they can come get the equipment from my house if there is no resolution or proper answer to my 3rd email.
    1st two emails they wrote they were sorry and were trying to resolve with foxtel as soon as possible, a 2nd email a month later same thing. Its now end of 2nd month and Ive had to come to this resolution myself and will be obtaining internet channels, or alternative satellite server that is in the network from america.
    In meantime direct tv doesnt seem adequate for all channels as it is a medium for another free stream called “Justin tv’…is simply streams from people who are willing to give their time an effort to stream nascar live for us and if push comes to shove, unfortunately austar will lose. These free tv online programmes are taking off and broadband will be the demise of austar if they dont connect speed channel late feburary 2011 for first race at daytona…
    I started watching austar for nascar some 15 plus years ago watching the growth of one of the best road racing events during the highlight of Dale Earnhardt seniors career before his death at daytona an watching his sons dale Jnr career continue the legacy.
    Now that we have an australian driver in the “sprint cup” in Nascars number 1 league we as australians have an even more personal attachment to this sport.

4. steve willis November 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm -

I’am a motor raceing fan, three years or so ago austar televised world of out laws {sprintcars} then they stopped that, as i watched that i started getting hooked on nascar. Now speeds channel has come along austar has canned that as well
    As off and including tonights race there is Three racess left in the nascar season with jimmie johnson leading going for his 5th hep say it again his 5th strait championship when his 4th is already made history espn.and nascar. web pages gives you a run down of what going on but thats not the same as the pre race interviews. i see only one way to show austar witch by the way is owned by foxtel is to cancel both of my austar box’s and start again when the nascar season start in feb/2011 and thats only if speed or motor raceing is availabe. “Hit them in the back pocket wher it hurts” regard ripped off steve

5. Dave November 3, 2010 at 8:56 pm -

Please stop with all the crazy conspiracy theories. Al Jazeera is not on Foxtel because Al Jazeera refuses to pay for the cable network transmission fees like every other channel owner does. Whilst Al Jazeera pays Optus to have their channel on sat which is fine for Austar (as they only distribute via sat), it’s unworkable for Foxtel. Foxtel won’t pay for transmission on cable on the behalf of Al Jazeera otherwise all the other channel owners will complain.

6. Jez November 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm -

of course we miss out….it sucks how we pay so much money and don’t get that

7. Travis November 3, 2010 at 6:47 pm -

I’m another Austar subscriber that has been screwed! If there’s no Speed on Austar by the start of next years Nascar season in Feb im gone.

I did get MystarHD free for 12 months when i went to cancel last week.

8. Troy November 3, 2010 at 8:17 am -

i hope all you foxtel customers are enjoying the new speed channel

as austar decided not to have the channel in there line an giving no date or year an

if austar will even get it

nothing against foxtel but i think this stinks

regards troy

9. FJ November 2, 2010 at 10:41 am -

So annoying that I’m stuck with Austar. If I lived 20 minutes further north I could get Foxtel. ACCC please do something fuseful for once and put a stop to this rubbish.

10. Knowfirst November 2, 2010 at 8:47 am -

Porter should make a “SPEEDy” trip to Sydney Airport and go home to Texas.

11. tom November 2, 2010 at 7:58 am -

I still ticked off that Austar can’t have these channels released the same time as foxtel but im not surprised at all

12. Jem November 2, 2010 at 7:14 am -

MTV Networks Live

13. scott November 2, 2010 at 12:18 am -

friendlycroc i allso have to agree with u about Al jazeera. its shown here in perth in the morning and evening here in perth on the FTA community station . dosnt seem to bad , what i have caught . i think it good do well on foxtel.

14. Guy November 1, 2010 at 11:54 pm -

I wish Foxtel would takeover Austar already. This isn’t fair really. We have to sit here and wait for who knows how long to get these new channels. The only ones i got were the +2 channels and i don’t even watch the channels that got +2.

15. Chris November 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm -

gary, MTV Classic has exactly the same content VH1 had. It wasn’t a new channel, only a rebranding.

16. Barrie November 1, 2010 at 10:37 pm -

I wish Foxtel wouldn’t advertise 10 new channels when only Speed, MTVN and 3D are new and the rest are +2 or HD versions of the same thing. And another thing…if a channel changes its name (TLC, MTV Hits) and the content is exactly the same then it is not a new channel.

17. Leon November 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm -

..and the stupid thing is, we now have MTV Hits in 16:9 and yet MTV Classics/VH1 Stays in 4:3 ..arf arf arf!

18. mobo November 1, 2010 at 9:16 pm -

Not a whole lot for me personally but at least I got BBC Knowledge in HD. Would have liked some channels dedicated to drama or more channels with sport that didn’t have cars and bikes.

19. Josh November 1, 2010 at 7:59 pm -

@ Gary and Steve – the “N” stands for “Nickelodeon” with HD content from Nick being shown on MTVN Live, with the channel in other countries not being dedicated to concerts but rather a mixture of HD content from all its MTV channels.

20. Josh November 1, 2010 at 7:38 pm -

@ David – check out the following page about the outrage from Austar subscribers about Austar only launching the + 2 channels and making the EPG changes, not launching anything new:
    facebook.com/AUSTAR
    The outrage began over the weekend when Austar doesnt reply and today Austar havent made one comment. I’m guessing they are too scared to take on such angry subscribers. People (including me) have contacted Senator Conroy, ACMA, and ACCC about it. You might have a story soon about Austar forclosing or Foxtel buying them out

21. Scott November 1, 2010 at 6:41 pm -

@Gary, it stand for music television network as far as i am aware!

22. gary November 1, 2010 at 6:06 pm -

MTVN…Does anyone know what the N stands for as I can’t find any mention of what it is.
    Can they please bring back VH1 and get rid of that rubbish MTV channel

23. mc November 1, 2010 at 5:19 pm -

I’m quite annoyed that Fox Sports won’t be showing any motorsport of any description on their 3 main channels.

As an Austar subscriber I can’t watch any NASCAR live and have to resort to the half-hearted highlights package on One HD. Can’t Fox Sports cater to the people who have Austar and at least show some motorsport (even if it’s delayed) until the channel gets added (if it ever does).

I am seriously considering downgrading until the golf and NRL starts again

24. Chris November 1, 2010 at 5:13 pm -

Basically all the content on SPEED was already on Fox Sports, what a useless channel. Nice having more music channels though, they seem like actual music channels with no reality shows or anything.

25. AA November 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm -

Austar does have some of the +2 channels, but not channels like SPEED yet.

26. CatFan November 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm -

@friendlycroc I’ve been been watching Al Jazeera, RT, Press TV, Euronews and DW TV of late on my Apple TV via Boxee. The picture isn’t as good but still watchable on my living room TV. Foxtel should offer more variety in news channels as I’ve found Al Jazeera in particular really interesting to watch for the different stories to normal American focussed channels…and no they’re not terrorists.

27. friendlycroc November 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm -

It’s now a year to the day since Austar added Al Jazeera English to their basic package. The sky hasn’t caved in, customers haven’t deserted the platform in an offended huff, regional Australians haven’t rushed to join Al Qaeda after their brain-washing by the “terrorist” channel.

It’s nothing to be afraid of! So I am greatly disappointed by Foxtel’s continued refusal to air the channel. The channel offers so much to enjoy, from every corner of the world.

I do not watch motorsports, but I am happy for those who do to have their own channel. It must be exciting! Ditto to the new MTV channels, I am uninterested but am pleased fans of mainstream music have more to choose from now.

If someone from Foxtel is reading this, please reconsider your position – take heed from Austar’s experience.

For those who would a like more from their news choice, if you haven’t already, I implore you to contact Foxtel and politely express your desire for AJE.

28. david ball November 1, 2010 at 3:37 pm -

main event is still on channel 518

29. Paul November 1, 2010 at 2:58 pm -

And of course Austar misses out.