Axed in 2010

By David Knox on December 31, 2010 / Filed Under News 45

Some of our favourite shows wrapped in 2010.

From long running dramas such as The Bill and Heartbeat to the ground-breaking Lost and the action-packed 24.

Some shows were axed by networks, some were simply not renewed.

Semantics aside, here are the shows we bid farewell to in 2010. Not all shows, or all finales, have yet aired in Australia.

The Last of the Summer Wine (1973 – 2010)

The Bill (1984 – 2010)

Larry King Live (1985 – 2010)

Law and Order (1990 – 2010)

Heartbeat (1992 – 2010)

Scrubs (2001 – 2010)

24 (2001 – 2010)

Cold Case (2003 – 2010)

Nip / Tuck (2003 – 2010)

Lost (2004 – 2010)

Numb3rs (2005 – 2010)

Medium (2005 – 2010)

Ghost Whisperer (2005 – 2010)

Talking Heads (2005 – 2010)

Outrageous Fortune
(2005 – 2010)

Ugly Betty (2006 – 2010)

The Hills (2006 – 2010)

Heroes (2006 – 2010)

The New Adventures of Old Christine (2006 – 2010)

Til Death (2006 – 2010)

The Sarah Silverman Program (2007 – 2010)

The Tudors (2007 – 2010)

Satisfaction (2007 – 2010)

Gary Unmarried (2008 – 2010)

So You Think You Can Dance Australia (2008 – 2010)

Football Superstar (2008 – 2010)

Stargate Universe (2009 – 2010)

Survivors (2009 – 2010)

Three Rivers (2009 – 2010)

10 Things I Hate About You (2009 – 2010)

The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien (2009 – 2010)

The Jay Leno Show (2009 – 2010)

FlashForward (2009 – 2010)

Accidentally on Purpose (2009 – 2010)

Trauma (2009 – 2010)

Mercy (2009 – 2010)

Nightline ([1992 - 2008] 2009 – 2010)

Party Down (2009 – 2010)

Dark Blue (2009 – 2010)

Better Off Ted (2009 – 2010)

Melrose Place (2009 – 2010)

Undercovers (2010 – 2010)

Caprica (2010 – 2010)

Romantically Challenged (2010 – 2010)

Lone Star (2010 – 2010)

Cops LAC (2010 – 2010)

The White Room (2010 – 2010)

Australia Versus (2010 – 2010)

The Boss is Coming to Dinner (2010 – 2010)

The Bounce (2010 – 2010)

Sleuth 101 (2010 – 2010)

Strictly Speaking (2010 – 2010)

The Shak (2006 – 2009) announced in 2010.

….and what is the future for Hey Hey It’s Saturday, City Homicide and The X Factor Australia?

1. Pip January 7, 2011 at 8:06 am -

This year i was sad to find out that ghost whisperer and cold case had been axed. At the time they came out, on normal chanels like seven, and nine, i was too young and not allowed to watch them. Now i am a young woman and have found these shows again on channels like gem, seven two and seven mate. Thankyou for allowing me to enjoy these shows. Unfortunately i have tried to get cold case on dvd and found there simply isn’t any! It is a shame because i really would have liked to buy the dvds. And soundtrack, the music is awesome. But i still encourage people to watch it – especially season five. Anyways xo

2. David Knox January 3, 2011 at 11:05 pm -

It’s not that I mind being criticised, but when it is done so from a point of ignorance it’s particularly frustrating.

I have logged posts that catalogue the shows that have ended in a given year for several years now. As far as I am aware this is the only Australian site to do so. I do it as for archival purposes and because I believe my audience is interested in acknowledging the shows that have taken their leave. It’s called “Axed” regardless of the reasons a show takes its leave. Even the content in the story specifically draws attention to this point. So does a previous comment below. You have chosen to direct criticism to me and ignore both.

For the record, I logged the story on the Producers choosing to end Lost as far back as 2007. I believe my audience will be the judges on whether I should or shouldn’t be writing a website like this, and on that front I am looking forward to 2011. Thanks.

3. Jimmy Hendrx January 3, 2011 at 6:48 pm -

I hope you, David Knox, and the commenters are aware that Lost wasn’t cancelled/not renewed? If youre not aware of that you shouldn’t be writing for a website like this.

4. AJ January 3, 2011 at 12:56 am -

*sigh* Party Down axed. That, mixed with Pushing Dasies, are shows that ended too soon. Hopefully they might have a return to our screens in the future.

Til Death, on the other hand…

5. David Knox January 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm -

Yikes. Even one of my own faves.

6. Ben January 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm -

24 and Lost were two of my favouritest shows of all time, but you missed another one of mine that was cancelled, and that was Nip/Tuck, that also ended in 2010

7. tvaddict January 2, 2011 at 8:45 pm -

The Last of the Summer Wine (1973 – 2010) < is 37 years a record? any other tv series last longer besides Coronation Street & daytime soaps like Days Of Our Lives etc?

8. Mate January 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm -

No not Satisfaction!!!!!!!!!

@Jake. Neighbours has not be axed, therefore its not on the list!

9. JB January 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm -

Lost was brilliant, sure it had it’s stupid and frustrating moments but it was still a brilliant show.

So how did Heroes end? Seven’s scheduling and the show getting crap meant i didn’t watch much past season 2.

Let’s hope Seven keep City Homicide but listen to the viewers and put it on the right night,

@Craig H, no it hasn’t. Not sure what your definition of doing well is, but for a winner of talent show it’s been a failure. Peaked only at #8, 5th week in chart and has already dropped well done the charts, and has had no radio airplay.

10. APM January 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm -

Til’ Death shouldn’t have lasted 4 episodes let alone 4 Seasons!! same goes for Old Christine, couldn’t get into that.

Lost went from interesting, to damn confusing. Scrubs should have othave had a Season 9, the ending to Season 8 was perfect. Season 9 was more like a spinoff, and thats what it should have been and had no connection to the original Scrubs. the dvd has ‘Season 9′ in it, they should have just called it ‘Scrubs: Med School’ or something. Heroes Season 1 was great, after that it was all over the place like Lost. Flash Forward reminded me of Lost, was surprised it got Axed while Lost lasted so long.

24 is the only show I will miss out of that list, it was like a theatrical action movie every week. But even though I loved it, it was too political for me. would have prefered a different situation every season with ideas from other action movies stretched out for a season like Speed and so on.

Crime shows should not last as long as they have, Law & Order for 20 seasons/years?!? are you serious, wouldn’t it get a bit boring and tend to repeat itself for that long. these crime shows are all the same, don’t see the appeal.

PS, who wants to guess what’ll get axed in 2011? I reckon ‘Lie To Me’

11. John January 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm -

People saying Lost was a terrible show have no taste in TV. I understand if you don’t like the genre but to say its terrible…Wrong!

12. David Knox January 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm -

Adam: I left it out of Tags but I didn’t leave it out of the story.

13. Allie January 1, 2011 at 9:49 am -

Gary Unmarried shouldn’t have lasted two episodes, let alone two seasons. Flash Forward was another turkey, and the less said about the folly that was Cops LAC, the better. As for HHIS, I have not sighted hide nor hair of any of the cast in any of the current promos for Nine’s 2011 lineup, so I’d say it has been consigned to the dustbin of Oz TV history.

14. Adam January 1, 2011 at 3:41 am -

You left out Stargate Universe

15. ryan January 1, 2011 at 3:38 am -

Dance aus should return in 2012!!

16. sillygostly December 31, 2010 at 9:23 pm -

King of the Hill was also axed. Sure, the season finale aired on primetime in September 2009, however, four episodes were held over and were later aired in a dead timeslot in early 2010.

17. Kirk December 31, 2010 at 8:18 pm -

Lost was an amazing show, still there is nothing like it on TV!

18. Mr. chandler December 31, 2010 at 7:14 pm -

lost was a terrible show and it lasted 6 years because of that writers strike. it would have been chopped earlier i reckon. i just hope law and order svu doesn’t get the chop now

19. timmy December 31, 2010 at 5:47 pm -

I really enjoyed FlashForward… damn fickle Americans for not watching it… grrr.

20. Jake December 31, 2010 at 5:34 pm -

It’s amazing that trashy show “Lost” lasted for as long as it did!! A complicated mess of a show it should not have gone beyond season 1! Neighbours should also be on this list……

21. Ryan December 31, 2010 at 5:32 pm -

Seriously did not hear anything about satisfaction being canned that is a shame

22. Butters December 31, 2010 at 5:32 pm -

Some people just can’t be pleased can they? Great list there David, a few of my favorites ended this year and it hasn’t been easy finding new shows to get into – I had to backtrack a bit and discover the likes of Chuck and 30 Rock.

23. David Knox December 31, 2010 at 5:30 pm -

Have added Outrageous Fortune and FlashForward, thanks.

24. timmy December 31, 2010 at 5:10 pm -

What about Flash Forward?

25. FJ December 31, 2010 at 2:46 pm -

Did 7 kill of Thank God You’re Here after paying a motza for it?

26. redmond December 31, 2010 at 2:41 pm -

“….and what is the future for Hey Hey It’s Saturday”
    Anyone know? Has it been boned?

27. David Knox December 31, 2010 at 2:27 pm -

Yes many shows met their end via many means whether by network or their own writers or simply not renewed. “Semantics aside, here are the shows we bid farewell to in 2010.”

28. Jen13 December 31, 2010 at 2:18 pm -

I think season 4 of The Tudors was the show I most enjoyed in 2010.
    Sometimes I was sorry though that I watched it too late at night, due to the horrific methods of execution used in those days. Made sleeping difficult!
    The story was complete, so it wasn’t axed, just finished.
    I think I’ll probably watch it again when the ABC gets around to showing it.
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers was just perfect as Henry!

And as for Stargate Universe being cancelled, I’m disgusted.
    It started off a tad slowly, but by season 2 it was humming along.
    Will miss it heaps.
    No decent sci-fi on at all now.

29. Kat December 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm -

Yeah; as i geeky Lost fan I have to quibble over it being considered ‘axed’ as well; it was always going to end in 2010, that had been the plan, ridiculous ending or not; it wasn’t axed.

24 was a Long time coming! as much as I love my Jack Bauer, they ran out of storylines, and were so limited with 24 hrs. i do hope they make movies tho :)

30. Ranco December 31, 2010 at 1:30 pm -

Sleuth 101?? Damn.

31. Andrew December 31, 2010 at 12:18 pm -

Stargate Universe doesn’t get axed until 2011. It has 10 episodes remaining before it finishes it’s run. This is unless you are telling us the date when it was announced it was axed which was this year (2010).

32. Natasha December 31, 2010 at 11:59 am -

I didn’t know some of these shows were axed either…such as Tudors for example. Bummer.

33. Bruce S December 31, 2010 at 11:49 am -

I did not know that Numbers and Satisfaction got the axe.

I’m not suprised that Satisfaction got the axe. Major cast changes had something to do with it I bet.

Has channel 10 shown all of the episodes of Numbers? If not, what was the last episode shown in Sydney?

34. Ben December 31, 2010 at 11:24 am -

The Bill and Heartbeat, the greatest programs of all.

35. Timmuh December 31, 2010 at 11:09 am -

The Tudors ran for four seasons, has finished, and we finally get it on the ABC in 2011. Nice one. I guess its fair to say we know the basic plot, and a few years delay won’t have changed the relevance too much given the story is 500 years old.

36. Craig H December 31, 2010 at 11:03 am -

That final season of Satisfaction was awful, so, im not sorry to see that go at all.
    I would love to see 7 bring back X-factor next year, I think it has potential to grow, Altyan’s single has done quite well…so that could be a base to launch another season from. Given it hasnt been announced yet, i am not overly hopeful of its return however

37. M1tch December 31, 2010 at 10:55 am -

Scrubs is forever damaged the way they finished, should have quit after season 4

38. effdee December 31, 2010 at 10:52 am -

Only two of them I’ll miss, 24 and Sarah Silverman… :(

39. Anthony Mai December 31, 2010 at 10:06 am -

It’s like an “In Memoriam!”. Not sure if I’m that unhappy about some of these passings…

40. Sam December 31, 2010 at 9:44 am -

*Gasp* Satisfaction!

41. Bogues December 31, 2010 at 9:26 am -

Outrageous Fortune (2005-2010).

Still screening the sixth series on Ten, but finished earlier this year on its host network.

42. Msrvo December 31, 2010 at 7:51 am -

That’s at least 176 hours of my life I’ll get back each year! Happy New Year David!

43. peta Boyd December 31, 2010 at 7:38 am -

Damn, i didn’t even realise some of those shows were axed!

44. k December 31, 2010 at 7:30 am -

nine have been running their promo for 2011, and there’s not a dag, dick or duck in sight. :s

45. Adam Oriti Art December 31, 2010 at 7:04 am -

I don’t think its fair to say Lost was Axed. It ended as planned, full story complete.