Karl Stefanovic hosts ACA Sunday

By David Knox on March 19, 2011 / Filed Under News 34

Nine has been denying for months that Karl Stefanovic would make the leap from morning television to primetime.

Tomorrow night Nine has another Sunday night edition of A Current Affair with Karl in the host chair.

It follows a Sunday edition last week which Nine says was a Pilot idea (what’s to Pilot it’s the same show on a different night?).

The episode will feature an interview with Year 10 student Casey who fought back in a case of schoolyard bullying.

Stefanovic, who also files stories for 60 Minutes, has previously hosted ACA although Leila McKinnon is considered the deputy to Tracy Grimshaw.

There’s little doubt that the Sunday edition is in response to Sunday Night on Seven, co-hosted by another former ACA host.

Meanwhile, are Nine still maintaining Karl is staying put?

1. kelly April 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm -

why would they do that rediculous story first on a man who still has over 10 million dollars and crying poor! how sad! How about the poor boy who lost his family in the floods and is getting bullied? That to me and my family was way more inportant than the poor broke wiggle!!!

2. James April 10, 2011 at 6:42 pm -

Poor Wiggle! Only has a Million Dollar House & a 4 million Dollar Elvis collection. Give me a real story!

3. griffo57 April 8, 2011 at 6:17 am -

its the karl and eddie show watch karl interview eddie on aca sunday night then watch watch karl sqirm as eddie grilles him in the hot seat and bombs out because his as thick as 2 planks, what the hell are channel 9 doing talk about coles and woolworths duopoly karl and eddie are doinh the same at channel 9 please gives us poor viewers a break and get rid of these 2 idiots before they bring channel nine to its knees.

4. AS March 21, 2011 at 8:43 am -

Maybe doing the show in primetime will give Karl time to get drunk beforehand? The Today Show after The Logies was an absolute classic!

5. ozinoz March 21, 2011 at 8:40 am -

Personally, I think we would rather watch the police spend 30 mins of them scooping up after their dogs on dog-bomb patrol than another 30 mins of excretion that passes for current affairs on Nine.

What a joke…(actually I take that back, its not funny)

The way things are going, we are not going to need to worry about carbon reduction from watching TV, because there is becoming less and less to even bother watching.

6. Bass March 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm -

You could be onto something David… Karl was flown into Melbourne tonight to do this, which is strange because 9 have an ACA set in Sydney, seems a lot of effort to go to for a “one off”

7. David3 March 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm -

Karl
    Why not interview the little thug who got his just deserts?

8. Teresa March 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm -

I don’t watch ACA Sunday specially because Karl is hosting it, or doing a report on it. However, I do watch the morning breakfast show because he will be presenting it with Lisa. It will be a real shame if he leaves breakfast for this.. and breakfast won’t be the same if he does go. If he leaves my logie award will be a waste. He is good at making people laugh, and is not suited for the seriousness of these documentaries. It appears to me that he is just trying to compete with his brother. Karl, my message to you is to stick with Breakfast.

9. ohyeah March 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm -

I think its a smart move to do an ACA on a sunday…reason… to take ratings point away from ch7 sunday night.

10. Glenn March 20, 2011 at 10:38 am -

I knew it would come to this.

Expect Seven to follow suit with their so-called ‘Today Tonight: Weekend Edition’.

11. RichW March 20, 2011 at 9:33 am -

Yeah I agree. Put Brynne on the show. It couldn’t be any worse.

12. DaveX March 20, 2011 at 12:59 am -

ACA is a tied boring brand. This move is bad for Karl and bad for nine. Why not create a credible news show?

13. steve March 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm -

I don’t understand why they just don’t put the interview on 60 minutes? That show could do with some decent ratings and it’s not as if there’s soo much to choose from content wise. That’s obvious with the amount of times they use stories from the US version.

Get real NIne

14. Arthur March 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm -

Surely Karl would be fighting to stay on the Today Show, he would be too embarrassed to front ACA.

15. slappa March 19, 2011 at 10:02 pm -

thanks god for thexextra channels far too much new and current affairs on tv just show you what kind of state the networks are in when all you get now days is this crap, whats next today tonight 7 days aweek? 60 mins to 90 mins?plezse hope this dont last

16. philm March 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm -

Really shows how desperate you are for content when you have to extend ACA to the weekend to cover the poor ratings for Send in the Dogs Australia. Where is AFP? Where is all the other content that has been sitting on the shelf for the past 2 years that was promised in 2009. ACA has its place, Weeknights 6:30 where everyone knows where to avoid it.

Big interviews and natural disasters like this wont be around every week and the Sunday edition will just become more about bras, weight loss, fashion and all the other things that make Aussie current affairs show so riveting to watch.

17. Craig March 19, 2011 at 6:44 pm -

While I love the student fought back he could have left the other kid in a wheelchair with that move, but I guess he won’t be picking on other kids anymore.

As for the show, I don’t watch ACA or The Today Show so I won’t be tuning in. Wonder how many weeks Nine will give it?

18. Chris March 19, 2011 at 5:50 pm -

If they add an extra show, that means they have to come up with more content, which could mean a drop in quality (if such a thing is possible when I comes to ACA). Though, they pretty much run the same stories over and over so people might not even be able to tell the difference.

What I’m more worried about is what’ll happen next. ACA/TT seven days a week, a la Sunrise and Today.

19. Chris March 19, 2011 at 5:13 pm -

@Alex …how is it good to see this tripe on air on a Sunday.

It is rubbish on weeknights and now it is here on Sundays ready to insult the intelligence of the viewers.

This is a travesty of judgement from NIne and more of an attempt to push Karl into prime time. We dont want him!!

Also where are the howls of protest about too much news? If Ten were doign this all of the naysayers would be saying “its too much news” blah, blah….

Nine have not made a positive move all year in regards to their schedule.

20. alex March 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm -

Good to see ACA on Sundays with another lead story about the bullying victim this weekend. I’ll definitely be watching.

21. Kenny March 19, 2011 at 3:19 pm -

@michael*oz – “Give me Karl over Chris Blahhhhh any day. What Does she do anyway?”.
    Pretty much the same as Karl, but with a more attractive face and better sense of humour.

22. Secret Squïrrel March 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm -

@Dave – heh heh!

23. effdee March 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm -

Ah yes… Eddie & Karl, just two of the many reasons I don’t watch Nine.
    The only show I’ve watched on Nine in the last few years is Hey Hey, which should be brought back ASAP!

24. Guy March 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm -

These shows are trailer trash, both ACA and TT. They should be yanked off the air. You just can’t defend these 2 shows. No one can imo, oh except the networks. Nine goes and brings us more of this trash. I’ll stick to The Amazing Race thanks.

25. Judith Webster March 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm -

Can’t stand Ben Fordham or Karl

26. DAN March 19, 2011 at 12:06 pm -

like eddie anything he is on i refuse to watch cant stand the pair of them

27. Dave March 19, 2011 at 10:50 am -

brynne edelston should be the new host. it will bring the integrity the show deserves

28. mark wallace March 19, 2011 at 10:26 am -

I cannot watch Karl.He reminds me of a spoilt public school boy who thinks he’s superior to others .He also definitely has no sense of humour when the joke is on him.

29. Earl March 19, 2011 at 10:24 am -

And there’s now to be a Sunday version of ACA. The dumbing down process of all news and (real) current affairs at Nine continues to gain momentum.

30. michael*oz March 19, 2011 at 10:21 am -

Excellent.
    Give me Karl over Chris Blahhhhh any day. What Does she do anyway?

31. deedeedragons March 19, 2011 at 9:42 am -

I really can’t stand him, as annoying as Kochie just in a different way.

32. chk chk March 19, 2011 at 9:14 am -

I’ll be really sad if Karl was to leave the Today show…

33. Ian March 19, 2011 at 9:09 am -

More recycled ACA garbage to fill our screens.
    Are Nine even listening?
    ‘Cause I’m not watching.

34. Rutzie March 19, 2011 at 6:55 am -

I reckon it’s pretty obvious they’re grooming Ben Fordham to take over from Karl. Why else would he be doing sport on Today. Get the viewers used to him so it’ll be a smooth transition.