Did Rachel Griffiths announce Brothers & Sisters is axed?

By David Knox on May 2, 2011 / Filed Under News 21

Last night surprise Logie presenter Rachel Griffiths appeared to indicate US drama Brothers and Sisters is about to be axed.

During a chat with host Shane Bourne, she was asked about her plans to direct her first feature length movie in Australia next year, called B-Model.

“I’m soon to be unemployed so I checked in with Centrelink and I don’t know if anybody’s noticed they’re cracking down on the whole welfare thing. So I went to see Centrelink and said, ‘Looks like I’m out of a job and wanna sign up.’

“And they said, ‘You have to be looking for work.’ So I said I’m trying to direct a movie, and it’s all gone crazy.”

When joking about her attempts to find work she added, “I looked them in the eye and said, ‘I think I am going to be unemployed,’ and they didn’t seem to be very warm.”

ABC drama Brothers and Sisters is yet to be renewed for the US Fall season and is one of the shows tipped to go under the axe.

1. Carta May 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm -

@Rednax – Peter Krause is part of a large ensemble cast, just like Rachel Griffiths, so if the rumour is true, it could be either one of them. Michael C. Hall obviously can’t be killed off.

As for the welfare jokes, I guess it’s all relative. If someone loses their income, they have to find a way to maintain their financial commitments. She might be losing an income of $100 000 a week (for 16 weeks/episodes), but she’s probably mortgaged to the hilt and the mortgage repayments have to come from somewhere. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a checkout operator at Coles or a high-powered executive – if your income suddenly stops, you need to work out how you’re going to make ends meet (which is obviously a more serious situation for some than it is for others, depending on their circumstances). Wealthier people have the luxury of being able to downsize their property or sell assets, but again, it’s all relative.

2. sarah h May 3, 2011 at 10:29 am -

jazlow – agreed. i didnt find her comments funny.

3. Rednax May 3, 2011 at 9:12 am -

Don’t get your knickers in a knot B+S fans! There was a blind piece a few months back that suggested a former actor from Six Feet Under was going to be killed off their current series. There’s currently three SFU alumni in major roles:

* Rachel Griffiths – Brothers & Sisters
    * Michael C. Hall – Dexter
    * Peter Krause – Parenthood

My money has always been on Rachel (even though I love her the most) because the other two shows can’t really continue without their ex-SFUers.

4. Richie May 3, 2011 at 8:43 am -

One doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist to realize that this show will be axed. Just watch the current saeson and it’s obvious. Four of the main characters are gone….stupid storylines….they say to end a show on a high….it’s too late for this one…….

5. ryaneco May 3, 2011 at 7:32 am -

You just got this article linked by TVLine.com :P

6. jazlow May 3, 2011 at 3:28 am -

Joking about needing welfare when you’re making more money in a week than most people make in a year??? Soooo not funny.

7. J Bar May 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm -

I noticed that too. I think she knows something but there has been no official announcement. This was her not so subtle way of telling us.

8. Helena May 2, 2011 at 9:40 pm -

ohhh I thought it had been axed or series ended based on what she said – I just thought I was out of the loop :/

9. GuanoLad May 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm -

If she hasn’t been saving up a little bit from what I would imagine is a lucrative pay cheque, then more fool her.

10. Brenton May 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm -

Better Homes And Gardens can continue to be shown in NSW/ACT/QLD Fridays nights at 7:30pm all year round. In VIC/SA/WA it needs to move from mid March to early September and the likely night would be Thursday.

11. Bazza May 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm -

oh good lord no, a soapie axed? well that’s it for western civilisation as we know it

12. ryaneco May 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm -

The block stripped at 7pm has been confirmed for a while now.

13. Craig May 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm -

I didn’t watch the Logie’s but it’s been around for a while that it’s unlikely to return, I’m sure the actors would know before us so they can line up work for the following season.

I’m wondering if the ‘news’ has got back to her bosses in the US?

14. stevieg May 2, 2011 at 6:25 pm -

I don’t think they even metioned the name of her primetime tv show on another network. A bit petty I thought.

15. tomothy May 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm -

Well it sounded like Better Homes is going to get axed too from what Johanna was saying.

16. deedeedragons May 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm -

She probably have a better idea than us.

17. Shelley May 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm -

Was there not talk prior to this season beginning that they were planning to wrap it up anyway?? I thought I remember something about the time they said the season would be reduced to 16 eps.

18. alfagirl May 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm -

Yes that’s what I understood. Unless it’s just her character that leaves and the show goes on.

19. Michael Kezza May 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm -

That was not the only announcement last night. Scott Cam announced that the block would be (as David you predicted first) stripped across the week at 7.00pm.

20. catherine May 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm -

I think she did. That is what shattered me last night watching the logies. I love that show and will miss it. Its always the family shows that get dumped.

21. Zoe May 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm -

is the movie based on the book of the same name? B-Model that is