Four Corners puts live exports on the agenda

By David Knox on May 31, 2011 / Filed Under News 28

Four Corners would appear to have put a new issue on the government’s agenda after screening devastating footage of the slaughter of Australian cattle in Indonesian abattoirs.

Sarah Ferguson’s report was horrific television with animals cruelly slaughtered.

The vision was traumatic, numbing stuff… No wonder the industry immediately suspended the supply of Australian cattle to Indonesia ahead of the programme airing.

Four Corners
also included damning criticism from US doctor of animal science Temple Grandin, who was the subject of an HBO biopic after revolutionising practices for the humane handling of livestock on cattle ranches.

The issue even spilled over into Q & A and on Twitter last night the subject was trending with many calling for the government to ban live exports:

BondiVet: That was the most confronting hour of tv I’ve ever seen. Things must change. #4corners

molluscan: Those poor animals, they were watching terrified as others were tortured and cut up in front of them #4corners

catsman09: i cant watch anymore of this #4corners this is sad

abbotsfordkitch: Disturbing stuff on #4corners. Hard to watch. But we need to know what goes on.

EmilyPecky: This is just heartbreaking #4corners #banliveexport

GoMarz72: Why has it been allowed to go on for so long? Where have you been? #RSPCA #banliveexport

AnthonyLoConte: #4corners you had me walk out of the lounge room.

RockBub11: Watched as much as I could of #4corners but couldn’t keep going. I think I just became vegetarian.

damo0010: Sick 2 my stomach over the footage on #4corners 2night. Denial is not an option in the face of such suffering. Stop the trade NOW!

JenesseNg: Agreed. Movement for change #LiveExport RT @BondiVet: That was the most confronting hour of tv I’ve ever seen. Things must change #4corners

1. bindi June 1, 2011 at 8:14 pm -

I don’t know if I can bring myself to watch this, just hearing about it is upsetting, I don’t understand why the religion requires cruelty, any religion that requires torture of helpless creatures needs to be abolished, if that is truly what it endorses it needs to be outlawed. We have raised cattle on our property and have treated them well throughout their lives, made sure they were well fed, even treated them like pets. Then we get out a professional butcher who kills them with 1 shot to the head so they are dead instantly. Any sort of cruelty is totally unecessary, people can still have meat on their table without animals suffering. Unfortunately for some reason treating animals humanely seems to be a western concept, I have done speaches in the past about how they deliberately torture dogs in asia before killing them for food because they believe the adrenaline makes the meat taste better. For some reason there is just some inherent cultural view that animals are just worthless and can be treated horribly. In my opinion cruelty to animals is just a stepping stone to cruelty and violence towards people, they will escalate to mistreating humans if they haven’t already.

2. Moanique in Brisbane June 1, 2011 at 1:21 am -

Ok now i’ve watched the repeat at 11.30pm and I am shocked and disgusted. I am seriously considering becoming a vegetarian. It’s not just the cruel slaughter of cattle, it’s the slaughtering them at all that makes me sad. The real animals are the men who inflict this torture on innocent beautiful creatures.

3. Robbie June 1, 2011 at 1:01 am -

Unbelievable cruelty to these animals.
    We as Humans have a lot to answer for.

4. Paul M June 1, 2011 at 12:23 am -

If Live Corp does not bow to pressure now, what will it take? This situation has gone on for far too long and now, when it’s in the public eye, everyone needs to react.

Otherwise, soon, it will become yesterdays news. So sign the petition, write letters to newspapers and show the world that Aussies care and do not live in the stone age!

5. Dean May 31, 2011 at 11:09 pm -

Thanks for this story. The episode was about the most harrowing hour of viewing I’ve ever experienced. Well done Four Corners. Such outstanding journalism that has motivated me and many people I know to urgently support the end of the live export trade.

6. DAN May 31, 2011 at 9:07 pm -

i have signed the petition but i could not watch the story i would like to see the same thing that was inflicted on theese animals be inflicted on the scum who do it they should definatlly stop the exportation of live animals

7. Ann May 31, 2011 at 8:07 pm -

I am glad the government has stopped exports to Indonesia, what a shocker

8. Geoff Field May 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm -

Four Corners deserves an award for this .
    Often difficult to watch, but our dirty little secret was finally exposed.
    The staff and crew at this brilliant program should be justifiably proud of what they’ve achieved.

9. John Jackson May 31, 2011 at 5:26 pm -

Really sad footage. Cows wondering what they done wrong to get such beatings and abuse, and others just totally fearing for their lives as they watched their fellow cows being killed.

It is something to think about in Australia too. I’m sure not all animals would be killed kindly here. Surely there’d be times at some places with bored workers, trying to get an animal to do something and the animal wont do it, and then out would come the abuse because ‘its just a cow/pig, and it’s just gonna die anyway’.

10. Moanique in Brisbane May 31, 2011 at 4:44 pm -

I haven’t seen the episode yet, but the thought of the cattle watching as others are tortured and slaughtered makes me sick. I’m sure cows have emotions and feelings and this stuff is just unacceptable. It sounds like the Holocaust where people had to watch as their loved ones were lead to their death.

11. ompman May 31, 2011 at 3:57 pm -

they said on radio today that there was worse footage that could not be seen on tv

12. kate westwood May 31, 2011 at 3:38 pm -

The Gov. and the cattle industry have had 18 years and millions of tortured animals to get this right & still can’t get it right.You won’t change the mind set of these people.So much of our tax dollars have been spent to improve this situation,I protested on the live sheep export to middle east years ago and guess what we now have a bit of mulch on the floor of the boats to stop them slipping but they are still being tortured when they arrive.When this started years ago it was for the benefit of a few select persons and in return we destroyed our own industry putting thousands of people out of work slaughtermen,butchers,office workers,drivers,packaging companies etc.and also spelling the end to the only employment for a lot of areas.N.T. state they haven’t the facilities to process these cattle but we used to.I’m sure Japan would like some of our processed meat along with a lot of other countries.I went to bed last night with the vision of that poor cow shaking,eyes terrified as it was it’s fate how can this practise be part of a loving religion.Thank’s Four Corners& Lyn White for her courage & shame on Australia .

13. pete May 31, 2011 at 2:22 pm -

*** Update***

Federal Agriculture Minister Ludwig will enforce the complete suspension of live animal exports to Indonesia in the wake of the Four Corners exposé.

14. Sydney2K May 31, 2011 at 1:47 pm -

A contender for next year’s Walkleys and Logies, for sure.

15. pete May 31, 2011 at 1:29 pm -

Thank God we have ABC Television. This was horrifying and confronting to watch. It was a story that needed to be told. Thank you 4 Corners. I for one have already penned my letter of disgust and sent it to the Minister for Agriculture. I urge all of you to do the same. The export of live cattle must be stopped at once.

16. Lee May 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm -

I cried so much last night watching that story. Those poor animals. Some people should hang their heads in shame. This must stop now!

17. Xander May 31, 2011 at 12:55 pm -

Going to watch this on iView tonight… well, going to try anyway. Already signed the petition regardless—even without seeing the show yet—as it’s the right thing to do.

18. Ash May 31, 2011 at 12:42 pm -

The worst footage, for me, was the steer with the broken leg. The cruelty he was subjected is monstrous and illogical whether for religious, economic, or humanitarian reasons. It reduces efficiency of the abattoir (time spent per animal), it increases the suffering of the animal way beyond what’s necessary for religious reasons, and it demeans the human being involved.

19. Dan May 31, 2011 at 12:05 pm -

I love meat so it’s not a topic that I like to think about but watching them suffer like that was completely shocking and unacceptable.

It was absolutely horrifying watching how they treated the some of those animals. Watching that cow visibly shaking as it watched other cows being slaughtered was heart wrenching. Seeing someone break a cow’s tail to make it walk when it already had a broken leg and then slapped around and had it’s nose pulled was shocking.

20. Secret Squïrrel May 31, 2011 at 11:51 am -

Absolutely horrifying vision. Where are your unthinking smart-ass comments now, Boganpride and Jezza?

As far as I’m aware, Kaylen is correct when she states that LiveCorp have only suspended deliveries to the three(?) slaughterhouses featured in the graphic footage. There are likely many more in Indonesia where animals are routinely mistreated and all live export to those abattoirs should cease immediately.

I’ve seen some extremely graphic stuff in my times but I decided not to watch all of the 4 Corners program as it was unpleasant and I felt I’d seen enough to be sufficiently informed. This is the sort of story that TT and ACA should be doing, not hounding out-of-work actors or promoting the latest bullsh!t “miracle” diet.

21. ompman May 31, 2011 at 11:42 am -

iam a grown man this left me in tears an numb

22. Craig May 31, 2011 at 11:17 am -

FYI the BBC had a show on recently (on BBC Knowledge) called ‘kill it cook it eat it’ which followed different animals as they went from the farm yard to your plate, compelling viewing, it will be interesting how this stacks up.

BTW it’s still being shown on BBC K, check your EPG.

23. Kaylen May 31, 2011 at 11:03 am -

Unfortunately, the industry didn’t end export of live cattle to Indonesia. They ended it to, if I remember, 3 slaughterhouses over there.

Currently we ship to over 100 slaughter houses, only 8 of which use the stun bolt. So minus the 3 that have been banned, that’s still around 90 slaughterhouses doing what was shown on 4corners.

An excellent showing by 4corners – absolutely disgusting, and I don’t think I’ll ever get those images out of my head.

My respect to the activists and reporters that investigated this, and saw so much more than what they could show on TV.

24. deedeedragons May 31, 2011 at 10:52 am -

It was really hard to watch.

25. Adam May 31, 2011 at 10:02 am -

6.30 had this on last week… but they didn’t have the footage, because they said somebody already had it, the person of the video wouldn’t tell anyone… guess it was Four Corners! Good to see 6.30 shows intelligent stories like this trying to get in first rather than how to save on power bills and where to buy the cheapest plasma :|

26. Roz May 31, 2011 at 8:23 am -

No sensing person could sit through this revealing and horrifying program and not feel deeply disturbed.
    Please, if you have watched this program, write to Senator Joe Ludwig (Min. for Agriculture) and implore him to stop this barbaric treatment from happening – live export to these particular abbattoirs that insist on treating animals like this needs to be banned.
    It is important to note that Independents, Andrew WIlkie and Nick Xenophon are totally against this situation continuing. They have great power in Govt. to create changes. Include them in your letter.
    This atrocious situation must be stopped – please have your say where it really counts!

27. Craig May 31, 2011 at 8:17 am -

Too busy last night so will watch this tonight at 11:30 on ABC1.

28. gunter richau May 31, 2011 at 7:52 am -

please stop the export of live cattle imediatly