Bumped: Rush. Gone: Law & Order: UK

By David Knox on August 23, 2011 / Filed Under Programming 36

As several readers have noted from on-air promos, TEN has now made a switch to its season return of Rush.

Instead of 9:30pm on Thursday September 1st as planned, it will now air at 8:30pm with a double episode. Law and Order: SVU is now out.

A number of TV Tonight readers questioned why the local drama was set to follow a repeat of SVU in the first place and felt it was something of a downgrading for the AFI-winning series.

This will now pit the series against Crownies, Hamish & Andy’s Gap Year and whatever Seven decides will stay put on Thursdays….

Meanwhile Law and Order / Law and Order: UK are now out as of Friday with a movie, Australia in place this week.

1. Vanessa King August 31, 2011 at 8:10 pm -

Everyone is entitled to their opinions about what shows they love or dislike. The only problem I have is keep the programs consistent. You cannot advertise Law and Order UK and Law and Order and then suddenly pull the shows. Law and Order do have a huge following. If you do not like it…simple..don’t watch it. I can tell you one thing..Rush is a totally different show and cannot be judged against Law and Order.

Law and Order is a fantastic show and should be put back on. Law and Order SVU is also a great show and for goodness sake, Channel 10 just finish this season.

Sorry Rush fans, it does not even compare to Law and Order. I am entitled to my opinion as all of you are!!!

2. JacM August 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm -

Got my cuppa, all set ready to watch Law & Order UK, which is finally back on – how exciting! Only to sit down and find a movie on instead, what are you doing channel 10??? UK is propbably the best of the Law & Order series now, with the others being a bit old and done now… can you please stop getting us into the L & O: UK and then taking it off quickly… make a decision to air it or not and be done with it!!!!!!!

3. Sharon August 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm -

Plse plse just let the rest of the season of law and order air
    And be done with it.
    Absolutely so very very annoying

4. Harvey35 August 26, 2011 at 12:46 am -

Keep L&O on for Gods sake.
    On for 2-3 weeks then gone again as usual.
    They keep that awful reno show on but quality shows get canned.

5. Bogues August 25, 2011 at 7:19 am -

Ten Brisbane had an advert for SVU at 8:40pm tonight (about 6:40am during the morning news). Have ten gone back to a single 9:30pm episode, or did someone not tell their advertising people?

6. kat August 25, 2011 at 12:37 am -

WTH… lasted only 2 weeks this time? I thought I’d give L&O:UK a go but haven’t made up my mind yet and now it’s gone. Why do I even bother with Channel 10 anymore?

7. Phoenix August 23, 2011 at 10:14 pm -

@Franz Chong — Law and Order Season 20 is not available on DVD, and probably won’t be available for some years yet, as they’re only up to Season 14 in the DVD sets.This means the only way we can see the show is to watch it on TV.

It’s your right to “hate crime shows with a passion”, but not everyone shares your hatred and intolerance. Those of us who enjoy crime puzzles also have rights, and in this case it’s the right to mourn the loss of a well-loved show.

I used to think that Channel 9 was far and away the worst TV channel, but Channel 10, with its contemptuous treatment of its viewers, has now become a close second.

8. Kieran August 23, 2011 at 10:01 pm -

Sadly, because of The Renovators as the lead in, Rush will struggle to crack 800K for the premiere episode, then only average about 700K in the following weeks.
    The Renovators is polling everything in the 8.30 timeslot down! Can of Worms didn’t even crack 700K this week when it is worthy of over 1mil!

9. Anthony Mai August 23, 2011 at 8:27 pm -

@Franz Chong There’s 20 Law and Order seasons… I’m not gonna buy all 20… I just want Channel Ten to air the remaining episodes of the show – which is its final season. We have the right to complain. It’s not the first time Ten has treated the show poorly… We’re not asking Ten to air it every night. It’s a bloody Friday. If they already have the rights to the show, just air it instead of repeating bloody movies.

10. steve sydney August 23, 2011 at 8:03 pm -

What’s the bet if it actually rates well TEN will renew it?

Ten can’t afford to be letting go of anything that gets decent numbers now..

11. David Knox August 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm -

I suspect the double is to embed the big story arc that will span across the series. Underbelly had 2 eps this week, it’s not uncommon for a season launch.

12. Harry August 23, 2011 at 3:59 pm -

Happy about the 8.30 move. However why the double episode?

13. franz chong August 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm -

Just buy Box Sets You Law and Order Fans and be done with it and quit complaining.I hate crime shows with a passion but if this does it part to make Channel 10 meet it’s local content for drama I am all for it.I would rather see a fellow Australian in work rather than him losing out to the American/British crime shows that exists almost everywhere else.

14. col August 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm -

What a bad move by TEN but its expected , regardless of the ratings Law and Order got isnt most advertising paid for in advance so its stiff cheddar anyway on how the show rates.They still have there money the networks anyway.And besides theres less than a dozen episodes in the series , will it go to ONE , hope so.
    And as for putting on Orstralya on friday , thats one of the the worst movies this country has made i mean i cant move in the streets without all the tourists that flocked here after seeing that show.

15. thesquareproject August 23, 2011 at 2:52 pm -

im really getting annoyed at the free to air networks screwing around with Aussie shows. we do a great job and tell amazing stories, yet as soon as numbers start to drop of they change the time slot or boot the show all together. instead of maybe resting a show for a little while. i have to admit i prefer a show that does 12 – 20 episodes. any longer and you get tired of it. but the thing that really shits me, is replacing aussie programs with re-runs of american cop shows. there so repetitive.

instead of resting All Saints they axed it. the same with City Homicide. (they could have done alternative seasons between the two like they’re doing with rafters and winners or even City Homicide tele movies)

Slide (foxtel production) is another new a fresh formatted aussie program that would be great on ten or eleven. along with Spirited.

if the networks gave local productions a chance we could see the industry boom again.

16. Aimee Eddie August 23, 2011 at 1:19 pm -

TEN are getting rid of Law and Order again???
    Why?????
    It is a great show.

17. Jake August 23, 2011 at 1:16 pm -

“and whatever Seven decides will stay put on Thursdays….” lol

18. deedeedragons August 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm -

Damn. I liked the U.K version.

19. Bruce Banner August 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm -

Rush is the best show on TV, I hope it doesn’t end after this season, but I’d say it will :/

20. Craig August 23, 2011 at 12:42 pm -

Good to see it at 8:30 but too bad it’s a double ep, why?

Most of the time I hate them, they cut the credits and go from on ep to the next like nothing has happened, it’s okay if its a 2 part story but most of the time it’s 2 completely separate stories. Nine has done it for most of ROS this season, and UB Sunday. TEN had done it with several local shows this year, Seven also and even ABC did it with Crownies. But weirdly they posted 2 separate eps on the shows website, which you could free and legally DL the mp4 copy.

21. JB August 23, 2011 at 12:25 pm -

Yay. Good move Ten. Rush is a great show and deserves the 8.30 timeslot. I usually record Crownies anyway, so at least now I have something to watch.

22. Maev August 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm -

I saw ads for L & O UK and thought I might have liked it…but after the Defenders thing ….gave up on TEN……glad I did not start watching it…..*sigh*

23. Secret Squïrrel August 23, 2011 at 12:09 pm -

Vindicated. Common sense prevails.

24. Nik C August 23, 2011 at 11:52 am -

This greets me with mixed feelings as Crownies vs Rush = Loss for Aussie drama!
    I love both shows so will Record one!
    Hope they both do well!

25. Anthony Mai August 23, 2011 at 11:48 am -

When Season 3 of Rush premiered last year, 3 of the first 5 episodes were over a million viewers (1st ep: 1.070m)…

I really hope they can match that figure this year and stay around 800,000 each week.

26. David Knox August 23, 2011 at 11:44 am -

Last week TEN confirmed every episode of 24 would play on ONE. So it will be around somewhere….

27. Jezza August 23, 2011 at 11:36 am -

Bumped 24 on One moves from 8.30pm to 10.30pm on a Tuesday. In its place from Monday 29th August is Burn Notice (series return).

Seems like 24 can not get an ongoing audience anywhere. Very annoying as I never saw the first series and have been watching this….online viewing time….

28. Vinny August 23, 2011 at 11:33 am -

Perhaps Law and Order UK, and Law and Order could air on One ?

29. ryaneco August 23, 2011 at 11:33 am -

I hope they can get a decent audience turn out but there’s so many things up against it.
    Ten are in a massive pit.
    The leadin of Renovators will perform terribly and this will probably fail to crack 700k. :(

I love Rush but I think this is the end now.
    Stupid Ten. Network is in a shambles right now.

30. Allie August 23, 2011 at 11:30 am -

No loss. I watched the first episode of L&O: UK and thought it was ghastly. They can shunt that over to one of their secondary channels.

31. Kaylen August 23, 2011 at 11:30 am -

Argggg.

Would it hurt to be consistent, and stick with shows for once!?

32. Scotty August 23, 2011 at 11:29 am -

Law & Order UK should be on ABC 2. Why did channel 10 even bother.

33. Michael August 23, 2011 at 11:28 am -

Why don’t Ten just move L&O and L&O:UK to ONE, like they did with The Defenders? As Seven did with No Ordinary Family, didn’t do too well on Seven but has pulled decent numbers on 7mate. And already moving around Rush, before it’s even started, similarly to what happened with Modern Family. What is going on at Ten at the moment?

34. John Jackson August 23, 2011 at 11:23 am -

Not sure whether this is a good or bad thing now. Whilst I find Rush one of the best Australian dramas, have also been watching Hamish & Andy’s show.

Might have to make use of one of the catchup services.

35. Anthony Mai August 23, 2011 at 11:22 am -

Law & Order gone again?! Ugh. I hate you, Channel Ten!! (it’s bad enough that they don’t even put any of the L&O shows online)

Good news for Rush! I hope the 2 hour premiere is a legit 2 hour opener and not just two episodes put back to back. But I guess it should work either way since its a miniseries this season and everything’s connected around one main story.

If it was just one episode at 9.30, I really was going to give Crownies ago since I’ve never watched it because of The Good Wife and then SVU. But I guess I won’t be watching it now…

36. MuchoTB August 23, 2011 at 11:21 am -

Probably a good move. If this is Rush’s final season at least it isn’t shafted to a 9:30 timeslot