It was on 16 September 1956 that Bruce Gyngell uttered those words “Good evening, and welcome to television” at TCN-9.
We’ve come a long way in 55 years. Seven, ABC, TEN, SBS, Foxtel, Community TV, multichannels… the list goes on.
To celebrate 55 years of telly, I thought I would publish some of the comments from the recent Audience Inventory where people have praised the small screen and the plethora of content that is before us now.
It’s often easy to knock TV, especially when aided by internet anonymity, but I view those who seek out a blog such as mine and taking the time to engage in a discussion as being passionate about their television. Silence = apathy, a much bigger problem for all of us.
So here are some of the reasons why we just love telly:
- Overall we are very spoilt for choice really.
- Been watching it from its inception … well worth it most times!
- It’s great!
- i love tv
- Love it, so good, well done
- Aussie TV is going from strength to strength- we are starting to follow the US model and it is paying off!
- Love Aussie drama, especially Rush.
- Let’s keep producing good Australian drama, news and lifestyle programming.
- Happy with Free to Air tv – no need for pay tv
- Overall doing a good job
- ABC should keep strong in-house production – more funding needed.
- keep the channels coming.
- Travel a lot feel we have good range compared to other countries
- Have loved The Block and Dance Academy in the last year
- The standard of our television shows have never been better
- Loving multichannels
- Thank god for the ABC.
- I WATCH TOO MUCH
- Foxtel is so great, I love my HD channels and all channels are always on time.
- Loving the return of so many classic shows on the digital channels but would prefer more classic Australian shows to make a return.
- i love it so alls good, mostly
- Going Strong.
- More live tv shows at night
- Love the digital channels
- FTV has improved local drama content in reasons years, need more in way of Australian comedy on commercial channels.
- TV is a primary source of entertainment in our house and should be the best quality available for all ages.
- Television in Australia is good and I believe it is going in the right direction regarding program.
- Hooray for the public broadcasters. And kudos to Ten for treating its digital channels like they are actually separate channels, not just second tier feeds that exist to play promos for the main net.
- The digital channels have provided competition to pay tv. It has to continue to lift it’s game.
- Generally good especially now with 17 fta channels.
- Can be totally in love and totally dissappointed.
- I don’t care whether it’s the more expensive comedy of Kath & Kim or the cheaper comedy of Pizza, there has to be room for Australian comedy on the digital channels – the more the better.
- Pay TV is worth every cent for HD Sport on FoxSports and ESPN
- ABC versus the commercials. There’s no competition. Give me the ABC every time. I can definitely rely on it. So the government should fund it properly.
- Pretty much perfect besides froms show starting late.
- Fantastic to have the extra digital channels but would be great if there was more Australian content on them. During a recent trip to New Zealand, I realised how lucky Australians are with the diversity of channels and programs available, particularly in reghional ares
- I think Aussie Television has a lot of fresh ideas to share. I hope Aussie gov’t together with the Aussie TV and Film industry would come up with more ideas to spread Aussie media.
- hope they bring back Big Brother, and also Hey Hey Its Saturday , should be more light hearted shows.
- Sometimes good, sometimes bad but I can’t live without it