Bumped: The Joy of Sets. Returning: Mike and Molly

By David Knox on October 14, 2011 / Filed Under Programming 39

Nine has moved The Joy of Sets with Tony Martin and Ed Kavalee to 10:30pm next Tuesday night.

It will be replace by a new episode of Mike and Molly.

This week The Joy of Sets pulled a disappointing 488,000 viewers, following its Two And A Half Men lead in of 1.03m viewers. On those figures the network had to act.

But while Nine wanted to give the show every chance with a big lead-in, was it the right fit with the Ashton Kutcher comedy?

After seeing the show I always thought it was the kind of show that would work best in a 10:30pm timeslot anyway, so at least it’s found its way there now. But the show about television is also too scripted, and would benefit from Martin and Kavalee bantering more freely.

Given the Zapruder’s Other Films show has filmed in advance, that may not be achievable this series. I’d like to see it have a second season where it can run amok a little bit more in a timeslot without so much pressure.

NB: Nine didn’t bother to send any Amendment of the change.

1. Ken October 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm -

I agree Hot in Cleavland and Mike and Molly would make a good ‘double act’ on GEM. I like both these shows (they are not world beaters, but both are truly funny and a bit different).

2. Noel October 17, 2011 at 9:04 am -

If 9 has half a brain, unfortunately they haven’t, the will stick with M & M and show lots of ads, With Bridesmaids coming on DVD 31st of October it will surely help Mike & Molly

3. David V October 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm -

The show is too scripted or something. Kavalee wasn’t good on TV Burp but he was great on World Cup Fever. It feels like Tony and Ed are trying to conform to someone else’s wishes as opposed to having their own show where they control all of the content. It feels rushed. It is not Get This tv. If you crossed the Joy of Sets, Hamster Wheel and the Bazura Project then you would have a good show. I loved Get This but I am tuning into this show because of loyalty – it needs a radical change.

4. Tim Welsh-Eliot October 15, 2011 at 10:47 pm -

Nein, we really didn’t need any more proof that you have truly lost your way… (@Sheba Percy LOL re Ed “Kiss of Death” Kavalee – hope he has a laugh, too…) :)

5. franz chong October 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm -

Americana repeats are not going to last forever Nine and it’s time they starting doing a complete overhaul of most of the evening lineup.What about making some decent Australian Home Grown Family Sitcoms like they use to have in the nineties but make them relevant for the people of today most of which who were only babies or not even born/conceived at that time.

6. Dan October 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm -

A bizarre commission for Nine, thats two strikes for Zapruders with Nine.

This won’t come back which is a shame because on another network at another time this would have worked.

7. Secret Squïrrel October 15, 2011 at 12:27 pm -

@Beckala – “…lame sex joke isn’t exactly what you get from Tony Martin!”
    O rly? How would you classify him going on and on about “Mästerkock” and all the variations of something-kock and kock-something? Those few excruciating minutes were when I decided to stop watching.

Talk about flogging a dead horse or, as Tony Martin might have said, beating the “kock” joke.

8. MandyJ October 15, 2011 at 9:39 am -

Yeah, could never see the fit with 2.5 men either. Or, indeed, Channel 9. What were they thinking? I’m hard-pressed to think of more unalike comedy styles.

Very glad they’ll be playing out though, I’ll give them credit for that.

9. Peepatweeta October 15, 2011 at 6:10 am -

Great news! I really wanted to watch this but it has some stiff competition on Tuesday night. Will be able to watch now.
    Hope it sticks Ch 9. Both tony Martin and ed Kavalee are great to watch.

10. Sharpy October 15, 2011 at 2:29 am -

Dizzy stuff…

11. Ben H October 14, 2011 at 11:01 pm -

Sorry 9, got tired of your treatment of Mike & Molly long ago. The wife and I bought the season 1 DVD so we could actually watch the whole series. You suck 9…

12. Beckala October 14, 2011 at 10:57 pm -

Those bagging Joy of Sets – we will have to agree to disagree. I think it’s hilarious, it has been one of my favourite shows this year. Pairing it with Two and a half men may have been to it’s detriment because it is certainly not the same type of audience – hehehe lame sex joke isn’t exactly what you get from Tony Martin! But I’m still disappointed with a later timeslot – I think the boys deserved better, and I’ll have to record now – I much prefer watching something live.

Plus – weren’t the ratings for Mike and Molly not that great? It is a mediocre show at best – I cannot understand how she won for best actress unless it is the result of a split vote between Tina Fey and Amy Poeler, or people were voting because of Gilmore Girl love. She is fine in the role, but I wouldn’t call her performance anything more than adequate.

And once the viewers inevitably don’t tune in, what, more BBT? Nine needs a major overhaul in thinking – either commit to the intellectual or pander to the masses, or do one on a Tuesday and one another night – just stay consistent for crying out loud!!! So annoyed!!

13. Secret Squïrrel October 14, 2011 at 10:24 pm -

It’s good that Nine shifted it to a later slot but bad that they’re not sending thru updates. They are shockingly bad at communicating. Don’t they want people to find their programs?

The show could’ve been good but is too rushed and scripted. It feels like a 45 min show squashed into half an hour. It would’ve worked better on the ABC where it wouldn’t have been stuffed full of ads. I give Mike and Molly about two weeks there.

14. Justin October 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm -

I wonder how many people have lost jobs now that 9 no longer send out amendments…I’m sure that would have been at least three fulltime jobs, one for each channel (9, Go and Gem).

Thanks David for keeping us up to date.

15. Sheba Percy October 14, 2011 at 10:15 pm -

No offense to Ed Kavalee, but he really is the Kiss Of Death to his own shows, which is a shame, he seems like a nice man.

16. stevieg October 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm -

I was all prepared to like Joy of Sets and have seen all the episodes on the back of my recordings of 2.5 men, but it isn’t very good at all. I’ll be happy to look at Mike and Molly, again, for at least one week.

17. Lee-Roy October 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm -

Those “thugs in the scallop” industry at it again

18. Sacs October 14, 2011 at 7:22 pm -

I wouldn’t have thought that TAAHM & M&M would be a good match, but what do I know because I’m not a fan of either show. Given the film is being released this month, why don’t Nein schedule repeats of the In-Betweeners from the beginning???

19. MuchoTB October 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm -

Four Chuck Lorre shows in a row (double BBT, 2.5 men, Mike and Molly)

At least 3/4 of them will be new episodes!

20. Greg October 14, 2011 at 6:48 pm -

I’ve really enjoyed the show so far and look forward to more of it. Ed and Tony are great hosts, keep it coming, on whatever channel at whatever time.

21. MrsStepford October 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm -

I stand by my comments I made about both Nine and this program I made on the “Gone: William Shatner Roast” post. To summarise – Nine is a poor excuse of a broadcaster and this “Joy of Sets” program is a poor excuse for entertainment – bad writing, bad content and poor camera work. My theory regarding the fact that Nine won’t cancel it straight out is they don’t want a repeat of the whole Ben Elton debacle so they are quietly shuffling it off to a later time slot where it can disappear into obscurity and ratings don’t matter as much.

22. steven guy October 14, 2011 at 6:20 pm -

9′s audience are much happier with reruns of Amreicana and just aren’t that interested in local new shows like Joy Of Sets and sadly those of us that might be interested just don’t like the way 9 run them.

23. Leah October 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm -

Best show on Channel Nine this year. But if you think the idiotic ’2 and a Half Men’ is good, you’re never going to like it. Good on Nine for sticking with it.

24. Matt F October 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm -

Channel 9 – you should be ashamed. Put it on GO!

25. Craig October 14, 2011 at 5:03 pm -

M&M needs a more stable home, but what about 2 Broke Girls? or any of the other comedies lining their shelves, when is Community coming back?

ITA within 2 weeks M&M will be benched again. I like the show but it needs to be on GEM or GO!

26. J Bar October 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm -

Not unexpected.

27. Vicky October 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm -

I’ll give this 2 weeks and it will go. Just put it on GO! along with Hot in Cleveland.

28. ompman October 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm -

what dropkick thought this would do well

29. AS October 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm -

Next week – Bumped, Mike and Molly replaced with repeats of The Big Bang Theory.

30. Tasmanian de√il October 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm -

That took a while…

31. DF October 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm -

There’s too many ads – the flow of the show is greatly interrupted by them, and the segment with the special mystery guest goes on way too long.

Other than that, the show is not a fit with Ch Nein. Would have done splendidly on the ABC.

32. Jerome October 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm -

CSI will be the next to go.

I thought 2 broke girls would be a good fit with 2.5 men. It’s the same type of comedy. Mike and Molly is still rating very well in the US. It could be around for years, 9 really should keep pushing it onto viewers it could pay good dividends. Same with The Middle.

33. D@GP October 14, 2011 at 3:52 pm -

And I don’t suppose they’ve bothered to share with anyone that they’ve pulled both the Transformers and Dirty Harry’s The Enforcer movies tonight?

Both have been replaced with My Sister’s Keeper, Friends with Money and an old Avengers ep .

At least Who’s Harry Crumb is still scheduled, albeit about 80 minutes earlier…

Gees, I hate 9 for doing this so often…

34. hoople October 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm -

I’m a huge Tony Martin fan and I’m very happy with this outcome. Totally agree it suits the later timeslot, and it hopefully ensures we’ll see all the episodes rather than it sitting on the “shelf” at Nine.
    And yes.. I don’t know that Two and a Half Men and Joy of Sets share a common audience, but I could be wrong.

35. Tony Soprano October 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm -

A memo to channel NINE programming:- When you think we’re not watching…
    That’s when we’re Watching.

36. David Knox October 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm -

Tomothy: Yes. Nine is the only network that now does this.

37. effdee October 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm -

Gee what a surprise for nein show lol

38. deedeedragons October 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm -

So after been taken off not that long ago Mike & Molly returns. Can let me off the 9 merry-go-round? I feel dizzy.

39. tomothy October 14, 2011 at 3:28 pm -

David, do you have to scroll through the TV guides to find updates for Nine now? If so, that is a real commiment to us readers, and also shows a lack of concern that Nine has over it’s viewers.

But I expect next week we will see Gone: Mike and Molly, as it doesn’t rate well, and should be on GEM in a comedy block with Hot in Cleveland as its lead in, then following that could be Drop Dead Diva.