Monday battle sizzles Junior MasterChef

By David Knox on October 18, 2011 / Filed Under News 20

Junior MasterChef was once again caught in the crossfire of a Monday night battle between The X Factor and The Big Bang Theory.

Nine’s sitcom topped the night with 1.52m viewers for its first episode and with 1.12m for the second, not to be confused with 986,000 for its repeat. But in data issues today there are no figures available for The Mentalist, meaning the next figures available were for CSI: Miami’s first (599,000) and second episodes (421,000).

The X Factor averaged 1.37m viewers across its nearly two hour broadcast, a slight increase on last week. It was a night when the judges were so complimentary to the acts that even Mel B. was confused. Nat Bass appeared to clarify things when she begrudgingly said of Reece Mastin “We have to say something negative don’t we?”

Body Of Proof did well with 995,000 viewers and Dual Suspects was 401,000. Earlier in the night Home and Away won its slot with 1.11m.

Junior Masterchef was TEN’s best with 741,000 viewers, but it dropped from last Monday. It was followed by Undercover Boss Australia (531,000), Law And Order: SVU (377,000) and Good News World Late now down to 163,000. It’s time to make the call on the latter…

ABC1 beat TEN’s primary channel for the night, with ABC News (942,000), followed by Australian Story (784,000), 7.30 (720,000), Four Corners and Media Watch both on 635,000, and Q & A (533,000).

Best for SBS was Swift And Shift Couriers (259,000) but it was lower than Neighbours (318,000) and Heartbeat (315,000) pulled on multichannels.

Seven won Monday.

Week 43

1. jan October 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm -

JMC is too sickly. Those kids can cook but the judges once again spoil the show with their over the top comments. And please…no more Nana’s.

2. Kenny October 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm -

Shine is still the premier Television production company Australia. No other company comes close – and their track record says it all. Nothing but quality productions since day one…brilliant!

3. mv October 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm -

@ JB I totally agree with you, Masterchef is dead! After the debacle of the season just past, I am well and truly over it. Everything about this show annoys me now, funny because i used to love it.

I am not watching Jnr Masterchef and there is no way i will be watching Masterchef next year. I am angry i watched this year but i got suckered in before it started to annoy me.

4. David Knox October 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm -

5. Bunagaya October 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm -

Are Ten getting drama points for GNW? If so I’m guessing that’s why it’s still in the schedule. I actually think it’s a pretty good series.

6. JB October 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm -

Ten’s Monday night is terrible.
    And Junior Masterchef….i think Ten has really killed the brand. If anyone feels the same like i do, i don’t even think the original Masterchef will do that well next year. After the last season, i’m over it altogether.

7. DanielW October 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm -

“Won’t somebody please think of the children”
    They must be feeling a bit worried over us not tuning in. I watch some of it on the website. I don’t and can’t really get into it, whereby it has to viewed on TV and ratings must go up! I’m a chef and this isn’t really learning. They dropped the JMC Masterclass. That might have been something for them to use, to teach those kids how to cook like a pro or thereabout. Oh well, I know as a pro chef, who i’d use to work for me one day. Good luck kids, even through it’s like nobody is watching you.

PS. Those JMC Judges might want to be less OTT. I mean when they judge its like “wow that’s so crunchy yummy those herbs”, hands on cheeks smiling and blushing! And all when it’s only a sub standard dish.

8. Jake October 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm -

I’m glad that Junior Master Chef is a massive fliop!! I never could handle these junior smart allick’s who can admittedly cook a million times better than me!!

9. David Knox October 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm -

I’m thinkin’ the brand might have needed a rest, but unfortunately trains are set in motion before these things become obvious.

10. Mason October 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm -

I’m thinking Matt Moran might be a factor here Just sayin’.

11. samo October 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm -

time to stick a fork in JMC………… the fact it gets 741m…staggering

12. Benji October 18, 2011 at 11:37 am -

741k for Junior Masterchef… aren’t those numbers a bit reminiscent of early The Renovators numbers?

I expect to see it fall further…

13. Dan October 18, 2011 at 11:26 am -

It is a shame when an australian show os beatn by american crap isnt it i am loving this series of JMC i hope it comes back next year

14. deedeedragons October 18, 2011 at 10:55 am -

It’s time to give Jnr Masterchef a rest.

15. Quixotic October 18, 2011 at 10:54 am -

Y’know, I actually do enjoy Good News World and I’d be sad if it gets the chop.

16. Alex October 18, 2011 at 10:44 am -

It looks like the 1.523 figure for Big Bang is an average for the 2 eps from 7.30 to 8.30, and the 1.12 figure for Big Bang Ep 2 is for The Mentalist. Coding error.

17. Smarty October 18, 2011 at 10:41 am -

2 new eps of BBT last night. 7.30pm and 8pm

18. Nik C October 18, 2011 at 10:39 am -

Thanks David!

19. David Knox October 18, 2011 at 10:37 am -

I’m told The Mentalist was 1.13m. But Preliminary figures are always just that….

20. Michael*oz October 18, 2011 at 10:34 am -

don’t get it… If no figures are available for The Mentalist, how can the final results be determined?