Report: Next to go…. Ron Wilson, Deborah Knight.

By David Knox on October 3, 2011 / Filed Under News 38

News presenter Ron Wilson will leave the TEN Network at the end of the year according to a media report today.

Wilson’s morning news bulletins will conclude at the end of the year with Breakfast set to fill the slot in 2012.

The Australian reports his contract will not be renewed.

A spokeswoman said on Friday: “Ron Wilson continues with the network.”

Sydney news presenter Deborah Knight read her last Sydney news bulletin on Friday, replaced from today with Sandra Sully after the axing of TEN Late News with Sports Tonight.

A spokeswoman for TEN said: “We are working with Deb Knight to identify the right project for her talents.”

Presumably those talents would be reading the News?

Melbourne presenter George Donikian recently resigned after undergoing several changes, with his final bulletin airing on Saturday. TEN’s new-look weekend bulletin began on air yesterday.

Sports Tonight presenter Brad McEwan is now presenting sports in the Sydney News.

Ron Wilson, who found himself in the middle of a controversy earlier this year over comments he made about the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras, has been with TEN for thirty years.

1. das burger November 23, 2011 at 5:25 pm -

Honestly, does anyone in Ten management even look at the news, Ron Wilson is streets ahead of their latest double. I really hope another channel snaps him up. That will be the news I’ll be watching.

2. Cisso October 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm -

I am truly sorry to see Deb Knight go..she is pretty near a perfect news reader and seems to be such a lovely lady. Sick of Sandra Sully..been around and around hasn’t she! Also miss Ron Wilson..

3. MJR October 4, 2011 at 10:46 am -

Such a shame so many good news readers have gone
    Not the same since jess Rowe left
    Is Kim Watkins still on payrole?
    No idea TEN.
    Just drop news altogeather if its too hard
    There will be no one left at this rate except for cuty Mat Duran

4. Vix October 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm -

Very disappointed to read this about Ron and Deb. The Channel Ten ‘big wigs’ continue to ruin their product. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

5. H B October 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm -

Uh… is there going to be anyone left at Ten news shortly, other than Tim Bailey and those non-events at the 7 pm project (Dave The Boring and Charles Pickering The Even More Boring and that poor girl who tries so hard to raise the standard)

6. ryan October 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm -

Nooooooo!! please dont let this be true, this man is a geinus at what he does, such a nice aussie fella. Boy if this is true ten are going down the drain, Seriously!

7. Allie October 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm -

@Lucio, ain’t that the truth. I just watched half an hour of her and was fighting to keep my eyelids open.

8. Andrew October 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm -

Its funny how in WA on 7 Sue and Rick have been presenting for 25yrs and are an institition but 10 gets rid of all theirs

9. Dongquan October 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm -

I reckon Seven should revive the late news in 2012, given they are the top rating news service in Australia at the moment. Given they did it during the 2007/2008 AFL seasons, it should be a permanent fixture at least on Friday nights after the AFL game concludes.

10. bow October 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm -

This TEN news reversion has seemed to be nothing but a big wast of time

11. Geoff Field October 3, 2011 at 4:38 pm -

I used to enjoy Ron Wilson on the 5pm news.
    He delivers it with authority, but in a friendly manner.
    Someone will snap him up
    Good luck Ron

12. Maev....Sydney October 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm -

They should never have moved Ron Wilson from the evening news….he was and is an institution….like Brian Henderson was to Nine…..
    The Ten news has not been the same since…..
    I believe they just got snippy because he was reading mornings news for the Macquarie radio network….just my opinion….
    I say again to all the networks….people out here …your viiewers and the ones that consume your advertisers products….want consistency!!!!!!!!
    Ten is a lost cause to me now….cannot even bother with the Masterchef brand ….*sigh*

13. Chris October 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm -

And yet the Dolt Report is still on the air. This is insanity! Another unfortunate effect of the new management of Ten.

14. Alf October 3, 2011 at 2:39 pm -

I’m guessing that Ron Wilson has reached 60 whereas Sully and Knight are aged 40, which is 60 in female television reader years.

15. Moanique in Brisbane October 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm -

The fallout from all of the changes at Ten is very sad to see.

16. Nick October 3, 2011 at 1:32 pm -

They took your jurbs!

17. Lucio October 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm -

Sandra Sully reading the news = television valium.

18. Bella October 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm -

I like Ron Wilson and enjoy when he crossess to The Circle and has a bit of a chat with them.

TEN News yesterday was a shocker. I really don’t like to have my Perth news read from Sydney. I like Natarsha but claiming to have a favourite Western Force player. They also kept saying “our” city etc. Also when the “metrogolist” read the weather she only gave the forecast for Monday. If you wanted a weeks worth you have to re-watch the news at 6pm. So frustrating. I just see it as one big insult to local news stations around the country. Perth news have a really good team. And a 30 minute weekend bulletin is all we need.

I’m really fed up with it and really don’t think I’ll bother watching it again.

19. deedeedragons October 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm -

7 or 9 should bring back a late news & hire Knight.

20. Paul October 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm -

There is a Seriously pun to be used here somewhere.
    It seems that what happened with Channel 9’s news department several years, is happening to Channel 10 – only on a more grand scale, thanks to it being more public (more presenters moving on etc).

21. Nick October 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm -

I thought Nine lost the plot when they put Peter Overton in they helm, but they’ve fought the good fight. I think Ron Wilson is an excellent newsreader, but he’s future might be in radio. I’d put money on him reading for 2GB next year for breakfast with Alan Jones. Deb Knight would make an amazing afternoon presenter for 2UE. I think Sandra Sully is the most appalling television newsreader in the business. Poor inflections, bad timing and drawwwn out wooords. Ergh, goodbye Ten.

22. Matt October 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm -

Absolute disgrace! Whoever is making the decisions should be disgusted with themselves. Ron and Deb would have to be some of the best newsreaders in Australia and both have great personalities, both on and off-air. Why they would keep Bill Woods, who has no chemistry with anyone on-air, is beyond me.

23. Evan October 3, 2011 at 11:51 am -

Add me to the list of those who find Sandra Sully very overrated as a newsreader. A real shame about Deb Knight – hopefully she gets another newsreading gig, or she returns to 2UE.

24. Sheba Percy October 3, 2011 at 11:24 am -

Why can’t they just keep him as the news reporter like Mark Baretta does sport of something like that?
    Ron is an absolute legend and a naturally viewer- friendly bloke, will really miss him reading the news.
    What the hell are the powers that be doing to that television station, do they want it to fail or something????

25. william October 3, 2011 at 11:20 am -

Maybe he can go to Channel 9 or Channel 7 where they will treat him better than Lachlan’s crappy Channel 10 Now!!

26. Sedi October 3, 2011 at 10:50 am -

I must say that this would be the perfect time for Wilson to jump ship anyway, he would be perfect as a 6pm reader for seven, who should put him on in the summer. Deb Knight too is a great newsreader I think she would be great on skynews.

27. Tim Hova October 3, 2011 at 10:34 am -

the more sandra sully’s on screen the more happy i am, shes very sexy, as 4 deb knight=not so much, sorry deb

28. Brent October 3, 2011 at 10:19 am -

Network TEN = Mess

Watched the Weekend News Yesterday, what a woeful repetitive national bulletin.

29. Steve October 3, 2011 at 10:17 am -

Ten are going to need a female co-host for their weekday morning show, who can do serious interviews with politicians, so I’d hire her, if they’re going to promote someone in house. Andrew Rochford the proposed male host of this morning show, doesn’t have the experience to do the same.

30. Brad October 3, 2011 at 10:07 am -

I have great respect for Deborah Knight as a newsreader. Thumbs down to Channel Ten for this decision.

31. steve sydney October 3, 2011 at 10:03 am -

There are so many things up in the air at the moment at TEN with people being shuffled around yet no confirmation of where other people are heading. Yet there’s still no word on who will be joining Doctor Dimples on Breakfast as well as those rumors that next year 6.30 would perhaps continue without George.

There must be no confidence left at that Network

32. mark October 3, 2011 at 9:11 am -

Good to see him go.

33. Allie October 3, 2011 at 8:50 am -

Deb Knight is a fantastic news reader, much better than Sandra Sully. For the life of me, I have never understood the heroine worship of Sully, I think she’s ordinary. Ten Sydney have made a big mistake here. Luckily for Deb, she is also very good on radio, I used to love her when she did fill-in slots on 2UE a couple of years ago, so I’m hoping they will pick her up for a permanent shift. She is a really good talkback talent, very intelligent and opinionated and a great manner with callers.

34. Andrew October 3, 2011 at 8:25 am -

Shame Ten. Shame.

35. daveinprogress October 3, 2011 at 7:18 am -

I hope they find a job for Deb, she has such a warm, personal but still professional vibe to her. She was a reporter on Landline many years ago, and was a foreign correspondent for 10 before settling in Sydney, but with two young kids, a reporter gig is probably not on the cards. Perhaps a breakfast role, or hosting duties for specials or appearances on 7pm project.

36. Redbullboy October 3, 2011 at 6:45 am -

What is Ten doing?! They are a complete mess at the moment.

37. Knowfirst October 3, 2011 at 6:03 am -

Well either Ten is lying or The Sunday Telegraph is wrong, because Deb left Ten on Friday “somewhat shitty” about things and is talking to Nine about her future, which Mark Calvert has confirmed. He says there’s no place for her at the moment, but he’d like to have her at Nine.

38. Andrew_81 October 3, 2011 at 6:01 am -

Looks like they are just getting rid of the old for the new with the exception of Sandra Sully but they kept her and Brad together. hmmm ;)