SBS scores 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups

By David Knox on October 27, 2011 / Filed Under News 28

FIFA World Cup broadcasts will remain on Free to Air television with SBS securing exclusive rights to the 2018 and 2022 events in Russia and Qatar respectively.

“SBS has a long and proud association with football and with the FIFA World Cup having been the official broadcaster since 1990,” SBS Managing Director Michael Ebeid said.

“It is our dedication to football and to giving the most comprehensive live and free-to-air television coverage in Australia that cemented our bid.

“SBS has been the spiritual home of football for the last 30 years and this new deal with FIFA ensures that the greatest of all sporting events – the FIFA World Cup, will remain on SBS until at least 2022.”

SBS Head of Sport, Ken Shipp, added, “This is fantastic news for football fans and a great coup for SBS.

“In 2010, SBS broadcast the FIFA World Cup live, free-to-air in SD, HD and 3D; in 11 languages on radio, streamed live online and in cinemas on 3D.

“We can only build on this in future years and expand into new areas including using our World Game app. SBS’s successful bid is also well-deserved acknowledgement of our passion, dedication and football expertise which is unrivalled in Australia.”

SBS is already the exclusive broadcast rights holder to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

1. Big V October 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm -

SBS- Superb Broadcasting (of) Sports. That channel should be renamed after the excellent broadcast of the World Cup (since Italia ’90) and the 2009 Ashes series.

2. Billy ray valentine October 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm -

Richard w, not over here in perth, I still have it on vcr tape, italy v crotia on 8 june. Second half defn delayed as my brother was at game and called me when vieri scored at 55th minute and I was watching sport and weather

3. Pantaloons October 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm -

Oh please SBS, why can’t you broadcast the next rugby world cup too?

4. Richard W October 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm -

@Billy ray valentine: Not quite right, the FIFA contract states they must show the game Live and in full. Channel 9 I remember did delay the news, but they only showed a very small amount of games because they didn’t want to upset the news veiwers too much.

5. Richard W October 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm -

#jonny r: i do remember the 2002 World Cup when Channel 9 bought the rights only to show selected games (aka RWC2011 butcher job..) until SBS stepped in and saved the day.
    Actually I tend to disagree, I think commercial channels still wouldn’t touch it because they don’t want to ruin their NRL/AFL brands during the middle of their season.

6. Joshua October 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm -

Does this mean more Cup Fever!!! Yew

7. bettestreep2008 October 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm -

This is great news.

SBS are the best sports network and their World Cup and Tour De France coverage is sensational.

If they could only bid for the AFL…sigh.

8. Billy ray valentine October 28, 2011 at 11:58 am -

I remember 2002 on nine, they showed the first half live, then 6pm news for full 30 mins, then showed second half on a 15 min delay. Thank god sbs has it!!

9. StanB October 28, 2011 at 10:49 am -

It great that SBS have the right but I wish that they would allow FOX Sports to broadcast the replay games and allow ABC the radio rights. ABC have a far greater reach and will give the event more awareness.

10. jonny r. October 28, 2011 at 10:43 am -

Richard W “The main commercial channels wouldn’t want to touch it.”

You mean when C9 didnt want to touch the Football World Cup rights back in 2002. Correct my if I’m wrong but didn’t the World Cup Final out-rate Every sports event in Oz that year? Some 2.6million+(metros). Without even Australia being involved. The FIFA World Cup (without Australia participating) S#!^% on the rugby commonwealth cup (when Australia make the semi-finals).

Your comment should read ‘The main commercial channels would want it more if the games were on in prime-time.” Hey?

11. msd October 28, 2011 at 10:38 am -

If I recall correctly, Blatter strongly favours TV rights going to free-to-air broadcasters. Foxtel may have offered more (?) but SBS always had an advantage in that respect.

If Australia had won hosting rights for 2022 I’m not sure SBS would have been able to hold onto it, though.

@Andrew – The World Cup is one of the few things that makes SBS a good amount of money in advertising revenue. Of course they’d go all out to get it again. That doesn’t mean that they aren’t struggling with funding issues outside the once-every-four-years boost of the WC.

12. soccer is the 'only' FOOTball October 28, 2011 at 10:36 am -

would like the know the fee SBS paid. I believe for the 2010/14 rights they paid $20m for each. I know they made up the $20m (for 2010) in just the gold level sponsorships alone.
    Note:Fox Sports USA acquired the English commentary WC rights for America. Believed to have paid up to $250m for each tournament. That’s $200m more than ESPN paid for the 2010 WC english commentary rights. Add the $600m Telemundo paid for spanish TV rights and that one hell of an increase.

13. Richard W October 28, 2011 at 10:20 am -

FIFA states that the game must be shown in full with no ad breaks during play. The main commercial channels wouldn’t want to touch it.

14. Armchair Analyst October 28, 2011 at 10:13 am -

THis is great news, the home of football on australian tv SBS will continue to give us great footballing moments for a while more to come, absolutely superb news. Although now i can see why they dont have enough money for drama. I think this is a smart and obvious move on SBS’s part. They have said lets focus on what we do best and thats Sport and World News. Lets face it SBS is football, no other network has shown the same passion and commitment to the game as SBS has done. I do as well have my reservations over SBS’s financial future but lets face it i am sure people were wondering that before and SBS is still on air, it will be around by 2022 i know it. Long live SBS and Football together a marriage made in heaven.

15. I Hate Sport October 28, 2011 at 9:09 am -

The 2010 FIFA World Cup telecast on SBS was by far the benchmark of any Australian Television sports presentation. I am so glad the 2018-2012 rights did not go to either Channel 9, Channel 7 or Foxtel, given what Nine did to the Rugby World Cup, I would be surprised if they were allowed in the building where the bidding took place! I wonder what the looks on the faces of Foxtel executives would be right now?

16. Ronaldo October 28, 2011 at 2:53 am -

Did any other networks put their hand up or bid for the rights?

17. Secret Squïrrel October 28, 2011 at 2:13 am -

Excellent news. It is a recurring nightmare of mine that Nine would decide to grab this or Le Tour and then treat it with the same casual disregard and contempt that they have displayed over the last year of supposed broadcasts of major sporting events.

18. alastair nicholson October 28, 2011 at 12:10 am -

Only SBS do sports well.

19. Jimbo k October 27, 2011 at 11:27 pm -

i’m glad that sbs got the rights for the next 3 world cups. At least they know how to air tournaments properly.

20. Andrew October 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm -

So SBS doesn’t have enough funding but it can buy FIFA World Cups and Tour De France’s right!

21. brent October 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm -

Great News! but like others have said… will SBS be even around then?

22. D October 27, 2011 at 9:57 pm -

Brilliant news.

Isn’t it funny how the smallest commercial network does justice to sports that it covers…

23. Pete October 27, 2011 at 9:12 pm -

Yes! Brilliant news.

24. Zambora October 27, 2011 at 8:44 pm -

Simply fantastic news.

David, pls delete my previous comment
    Typos galore.

25. Gary October 27, 2011 at 8:19 pm -

Thank god for that. I couldn’t stand it if Nine got their way and got it.

26. Phoenix727 October 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm -

This is fantastic news, unlike some other networks I could name *Cough* Nine *Cough* SBS can actually competently broadcast a sporting tournament.

27. JL October 27, 2011 at 7:30 pm -

Will SBS still be around then?

28. Dodge October 27, 2011 at 7:08 pm -