TEN’s Breakfast set for February 27

By David Knox on December 6, 2011 / Filed Under News 34

TEN’s new morning show Breakfast will begin two weeks after the start of 2012 ratings according to new co-host Paul Henry.

Henry told the NZ Herald TEN’s Lachlan Murdoch has scheduled an on-air date for Monday, February 27.

“He wants me to be involved in employing the female co-host,” Henry said, “so I’m keen for a late-February start to give me some time to do that.”

The controversial host has previously said he has NZ radio commitments until March.

As part of his move to Australia, Henry was also due to front a Sunday night magazine-style show for New Zealand but sources say logistically it will be too hard and has been canned.

He is still set to appear in the TV3 panel show Would I Lie To You? potentially as host.

Breakfast, which also features Andrew Rochford, is part of TEN’s push into the morning television market and will lead into The Circle.

1. slydoggie December 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm -

Seriously? I thought this was a joke originally. In fact it took some convincing to believe he was ever on TV and You Tube clips weren’t staged !

2. kk_kev December 6, 2011 at 9:39 pm -

And the ABC still hasn’t said *anything* about Ten’s use of Breakfast as their morning show brand?

3. Nathan December 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm -

I’m guessing that ABC, Nine and Seven will have highest ratings for their breakfast shows around about the 27th of Feb. You can say what you want about Kochie and Karl I’d soon have them on TV then having this well I would say fool but that’s too nice for him.

4. tmorgan96 December 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm -

Hahaha Just watched 100 clips on Paul Henry on Youtube.
    Hahahahahhaaha! This show could be funnier than Today Tonight…
    Oh bading bading bading

5. Roc December 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm -

Does anyone know if this is Syd or Melb?

6. David Knox December 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm -

Will be ending at 9am leading into The Circle.

7. Adam volker December 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm -

One thing we don’t know about the show yet is it’s start and finish time so I hope that info will come out sooner rather than later. I hope it given time to find it’s feet, I will be watching.

8. deedeedragons December 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm -

Can’t they see the iceberg coming?

9. KFed December 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm -

Paging HR! Paging HR!

10. Voice December 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm -

David please a TV Tonight sweep as to when he gets the chop !!
    Maybe a sheep as 1st prize ?

11. alvar December 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm -

why do networks feel the need to copy each other. breakfast programs are already catered for…i personally would like to see ten try something completely different.
    we all saw tens ratings take a serious hit this year when it added news/current affairs to the 6pm hour as it is already catered for by Seven/Nine.

12. Andrew B December 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm -

As mornings don’t count towards the ratings race as such, it really doesn’t matter when they start.

13. Kuttsywood December 6, 2011 at 1:09 pm -

I have been saying this since Ten’s upfronts: Ten needs to confirm Toasted TV’s future, before they throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Ten has a advantage, that Sunrise never had: utilizing multi-channels to move content to.

Breakfast will tank like soggy Weet-Bix, if the younger viewers, and the fans of programs on Toasted TV aren’t catered for.

14. Cookie December 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm -

Like most of us, I had never heard of him before. But this guy could well be hilarious. His speech at the New Zealand 2010 New Idea People’s Choice Awards was brilliant and proves he could be a breath of fresh air to Australian TV.

15. Dan December 6, 2011 at 11:14 am -

I hope it flops big time and as for Andrew Rochford he lost all respect from me when he stooped so low as to do commercials for those pathetic life insurance copanies if you need to be a celebrity doctor then you should not be a doctor at all

16. sarah h December 6, 2011 at 10:58 am -

They couldnt find an Aussie? Lame.

17. Jerome December 6, 2011 at 10:57 am -

Sounds like he is keeping NZ at armslength. Could be a wise move if the show doesn’t turn out well here.

18. Dave December 6, 2011 at 10:48 am -

This show has ratings disaster written all over it.

19. Kenny December 6, 2011 at 10:32 am -

“He wants me to be involved in employing the female co-host,” – really? Then why did Lachlan waste people’s time in “auditioning” Deb Knight etc. etc?
    Do we get subtitles to cover the Kiwi “fush and chups” accent.
    What’s “edgy” supposed to be? Rude and crude? Insulting and obnoxious? Thought one Kyle in the mornings was enough.

20. Big V December 6, 2011 at 10:24 am -

Hope it is the first show axed in 2011 :P

21. Maev....Sydney December 6, 2011 at 10:07 am -

Dr. Nice and the NZ version of the shock jock….not sure that will work…
    For me not a worry…I rarely watch early morning shows…

what appears to be a Kyle clone…not sure that will work….

22. Gil December 6, 2011 at 10:00 am -

Got a bad feeling about this one. You don’t need someone ‘edgy’ for morning television…its all news, weather and cash giveaways.

23. stuart December 6, 2011 at 9:53 am -

Love Paul Henry, Feb can’t come soon enough. Ive been watching K&M since the start, but I will be switching.

24. Bre Saxs December 6, 2011 at 9:26 am -

I expect this means Toasted TV will be axed. As Helen Lovejoy would say “Won’t somebody please think of the children!?”

25. Marie December 6, 2011 at 9:24 am -

This show is going to fail. For some reason, I can just feel it in my bones. I love watching Karl and Lisa etc more than the Sunrise crew, but, if these morning shows were to go and they bring back some of the old Aussie soaps or even better, the comedies in place of these morning shows, I’d be quite happy.

26. rick lomez December 6, 2011 at 8:59 am -

Obviously being a doctor to help people is not as attractive or rewarding as being a host of breakfast TV, for Andrew Rochford

27. Macca December 6, 2011 at 8:49 am -

I think having Paul Henry as a host could work for TEN. He’s edgy, entertaining and won’t send viewers to sleep so early in the day like Kochie.

There’s no doubt been some controversy in his career to date, but I’m sure he’s been briefed by LKM on the new gig. He suits the 18-49 market that TEN targets.

All these people criticising the appointment of Paul need to go back to their boring 2D lives. Maybe you should go and watch re-runs of Bert if you don’t like change.

28. PS December 6, 2011 at 8:43 am -

A waste of time in hiring him to front TEN’s new breakfast show, why can’t they hire Brad McEwan and Sandra Sully to co-present with Andrew Rochford…..as simple as that rather than hiring him who had history of controversey. Com’on TEN you can do better than that so get a move on.

29. Smarty December 6, 2011 at 8:42 am -

this is going to fail. Wake up Ten!

30. JB December 6, 2011 at 8:40 am -

And now he’s involved in picking a female host… This really is gonna be a trainwreck. Andrew Rochford was a great choice, but i’m not going anywhere near this now. ABC News Breakfast for me.

31. Warrigul December 6, 2011 at 8:08 am -

I really don’t want to watch this now.

32. davodavo December 6, 2011 at 6:59 am -

I dont think this is going to work against 3 other well established breakfast shows. Smells a bit George Negus…

33. D@GP December 6, 2011 at 6:53 am -

Four breakfast TV shows in Australia.

What a waste.

34. Adam volker December 6, 2011 at 6:15 am -

I would like to wish channel ten good luck as they get themselves into the market of breakfast television . I hope it goes well. They are on a winner with this show.