Excess Baggage to weigh in ahead of schedule

By David Knox on January 15, 2012 / Filed Under News 32

Nine will kick off Excess Baggage at 7pm Monday January 30, a week ahead of its original schedule, due to TEN’s pre-emptive strike with The Biggest Loser.

TEN launches Loser at 7pm Monday, January 23rd with one hour episodes from Monday – Thursday. Last week TEN surprised the market by moving The Project back to 6pm in order to reinstate reality shows at 7pm.

That was territory Nine had carved up for itself with The Block and Celebrity Apprentice last year (both are tipped to follow Baggage this year). It thought the coast was clear with Seven committed to Home and Away and TEN with The 7PM Project.

But new TEN CEO James Warburton has other ideas.

If TEN’s kickstart on Loser can topple Baggage it will be a sweet irony for TEN after The Block got the headstart on Renovators, complete with copycat challenges added to its stripped format.

May the thinnest man win.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Corrected.

1. Mark January 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm -

Saw them filming this in the middle of Surfer’s Paradise last Friday..looked contrived and annoying..a bit like The Amazing (Fat) Race.

2. Nathan January 16, 2012 at 5:13 pm -

I’d sooner watch Excess Baggage then the condescending tone of The Biggest Loser, they’re implying you have to be skinny to be in love, jeez give me a break. It’s sickening.

3. Number1 January 16, 2012 at 2:40 pm -

@catherine
    “Well im watching home and away and taping the biggest loser or vice versa” Exactly What im doing

4. oztvheritage(youtube channel) January 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm -

Nice to see Ten taking the lead and others responding for a change. But I think Ten have had to take the lead given their old format is competing with something new and fresh. Maybe I am one of the few who think EB will do very well. TBL…we have seen before and is tired…but mind you I have never really been a fan. The host is so plastic. With EB, I am looking forward to seeing the celebrities, in this world we live in where image is everything, we will see another side to them….a human side. I also feel they have different audiences, with EB attracting a older audience….30’s plus (given the celebs ages) …While TBL is 10-30 yrs. I think it will be a close battle.

5. Peter January 16, 2012 at 12:27 pm -

Wow – it’s like a game of chicken. Pinky Tuscadero drops the scarf with both 9 and 10 racing headlong towards the cliff in a desperate battle to get their fatties’ show into the viewers’ hearts.
    The 9 promos are excruciating. Celebrities and “everyday Aussies” (how condescending) and sob stories about how they couldn’t stop eating all the pies.
    I think most people can see through this schlock. But then I may yet be proved wrong. I have been wrong many times about what I thought was crap and people still watched (The Block & Dancing with the Stars are but two examples).

6. DanielW. January 16, 2012 at 12:16 am -

Nine wants to get out the “Excess Baggage”, so it can play for about 10-12 weeks and not clash with MasterChef. If it had played it has planned, MasterChef would start before this ended. Therefore it may be 10-12 weeks then put on “The Block” or “Celebrity Apprentice Australia”. to get ahead of MasterChef. They now know MasterChef at 7pm could undo their “7pm plans”.

7. ben January 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm -

Also heard that this was a Granada show but was flipped to Fremantle.
    I think this will probably flop

8. DAN January 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm -

ok lets have a bit of fun and see if we can predict the 7 oclock slot my preditctions are

1 home and away
    2 the biggest loser
    3 abc news
    4 excess baggage
    anyone else care to predict i may be wrong but i thin excess baggage has a few things working against it

1 it is on channel 9 i dont trust channel 9 and i am sure a lot of others dont eathier but i will be giving this show a go

2 it is on a week after the start of TBL which means TBL would have already established a audience and is also a proven show

3 EB has celebrities and normal people while TBL just has normal people and some people may only want to see normal people loosing weight and no celebs and normal people

9. catherine January 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm -

Well im watching home and away and taping the biggest loser or vice versa. However Ive noticed new eps of The Big Bang Theory are coming back, so excess baggage may be helped by that.

I wonder if 7 will pull any surprises from 7:30 onwards.

10. Trtragic January 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm -

said it before will say it again, Loser all the way. Who cares about D grade celebs in excess baggage or anywhere else actually, losing weight and achieving their “dreams”, oh poor you. Real people with real problems achieving real life changing help, that’s something I’ll tune in for. Go Biggest Loser, hope you run circles around the other show.

11. Nick January 15, 2012 at 2:24 pm -

Nine takes the lead in the race to the bottom with this show. I sincerely hope it fails.

12. steve sydney January 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm -

Looks like the new boss was right when he said TEN were going to start to lead this year. They’ve already got Nine hot under the collar…

@Tomothy, My guess would be Nine was hoping that perhaps audiences would’ve fatigued with TBL format and jump ship to EB considering at the time, Nine was assuming the timeslot would be clashing with the Project. Also they may be wanting to keep The Block in their pocket to go up against MasterChef…

@Liz, I’m enjoying your commentary… please tell me you’re an insider of sorts in television land…

13. Chris January 15, 2012 at 1:06 pm -

This show is so unappealing. So many vile alleged celebrities tryong to out do each other. What a nightmare scenario. I hope this show flops. It’s a terrible concept and Nine’s promos are not that appealing.
    In saying that TBL is just as bad with their lovey dovey promos. Wont be watching either show.

14. Aaron January 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm -

Appropriate name for a crap show — by the end of the season, it’ll be excess baggage for Nine … they’ll be glad to get rid of it!

Nine should know by now if you over advertise a crap program, no-one will watch (eg Monster House, Ben Elton)

15. John Jackson January 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm -

I think I’ll be hoping for Excess Baggage to win. I thought Biggest Loser was better last year than the series prior, but I still preferred it when Bob and Jillian were involved.

16. Liz January 15, 2012 at 12:14 pm -

@john from what I hear internally at FMA this isn’t the case. This show has some big (excuse the pun) problems.

17. Bella January 15, 2012 at 11:57 am -

Is this to inspire us all to buy gym membership or the latest weightloss product?

18. john January 15, 2012 at 11:45 am -

You only have to watch excess baggage to see it is nto a copy of biggest loser. excess baggage is going to be amazing and is going to beat down loser in the ratings

19. tomothy January 15, 2012 at 11:23 am -

Nine knows that TEN always start the year with Loser, so why didn’t they put the block on to begin with, and follow that by Baggage? Makes more sense, and aren’t they already well into the block renovations, should have been enough to commence editing and airing it. I am sure the original block was only aired a couple of weeks after filming.

20. deedeedragons January 15, 2012 at 11:21 am -

My choice? Home & Away.

21. Vanessa January 15, 2012 at 10:14 am -

Already in damage control?!

22. GuanoLad January 15, 2012 at 9:52 am -

Why have two similar shows up against each other, potentially halving the audience for each? If they were at different times, you could have the full contingent of fans for both shows.

I’ve never understood this kind of scheduling foolishness.

23. Number1 January 15, 2012 at 9:49 am -

Excess Baggage doesn’t really interest me or get me excited to watch it, The Biggest Loser does though, I am keen for that. Excess Baggage will last a couple of episodes on Ch9 in it’s original time slot, then move to a different time slot or multi channel.

24. Qubec January 15, 2012 at 9:32 am -

Wow, so much variety offered by the networks!!!

25. Liz January 15, 2012 at 9:27 am -

Whoops apologies for the typos.. Struggling with my phones keyboard

26. Liz January 15, 2012 at 9:24 am -

Shine produces The Biggest Loser. They’ve been producing it since last year’ family addition.

Excess Baggage is a copycat weight losd show put together by some old Biggest Loser produces who didnt go across with the show.

There’s also a lot of talk about to format being developed with Nine and Granada. But Nine took it away from them and gave it to Fremantle after Fremantle offered a deal to package both the apprentice a excess baggage at a reduced margin.

27. Craig January 15, 2012 at 9:13 am -

Still all these shows are about a month behind the US which came back with news eps of some of its top shows very early in January.

I wish they would change the ratings system to prevent the drought of programs at this time of the year.

28. Mason January 15, 2012 at 9:08 am -

Good on 10. I hope they win this one after what happened with TB.

29. Ryaneco January 15, 2012 at 8:51 am -

Loser is now produced by Shine no?

30. John January 15, 2012 at 8:45 am -

All i can say is..Kate…why???

31. Liza January 15, 2012 at 8:07 am -

TBL most definitely produced by Shine Australia, not Fremantle!

32. mmh January 15, 2012 at 5:34 am -

I thought biggest loser was being produced by shine now?