Kathryn Robinson joins TEN’s Breakfast

By David Knox on January 24, 2012 / Filed Under News 34

TEN has confirmed news presenter Kathryn Robinson (pictured, right) will join its new line-up for its 2012 early-morning programme, Breakfast.

Robinson, who had been rumoured to be in line for the role, will join New Zealand presenter Paul Henry and Andrew Rochford.

Network TEN’s Head of News and Current Affairs, Anthony Flannery says “The chemistry between these four personalities is exactly what we are after for Breakfast. It was obvious from the beginning of auditions that they have a dynamic with a difference; unpredictable but the perfect start to the day.”

Robinson’s news career at TEN includes live news, last year’s Royal Wedding, the Delhi Commonwealth Games and The Project. The mother of two also holds a masters in journalism.

“I’m thrilled to join Paul and Andrew at the Breakfast table. TEN is committed to offering our viewers a fresh start to the day and I’m delighted to be involved. Thankfully I’m familiar with early mornings; I’ll need to be on the ball to keep these two in check!” she said.

TEN also announces meteorologist Magdalena Roze (pictured, left) will be the show’s resident weather expert and the fourth member of the morning team. Roze has been presenting on weekend News and has previous roles with roles at The Weather Channel and National Geographic. A self-proclaimed ‘weather nerd,’ she has a degree in Atmospheric Science, and won both the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Prize and the Biophysical Environments Prize.

“I’ve had such a fantastic journey at TEN so far and now I’m really excited to enter brand new territory with Breakfast. I live and breathe the weather and, while Paul Henry doesn’t believe me yet, in a country as large and diverse as Australia, there is some kind of extraordinary weather event happening in some part of the nation every day!” said Rose.

TEN is yet to announce a start date for Breakfast.

1. Big V January 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm -

Sticking with Kochie and Mel. No thanks and what will the kiddies wake up to wanting to find “Toasted TV”?

2. Qld Gal January 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm -

Wow – I’m surprised there’s so many negative comments. Give the show a go!!!! Noone yet knows how the chemistry is going to work between this lot, but personally I think Kathryn and Paul will be a great match. She has the intelligence and humour to bounce off Paul, and to keep him in check! I reckon this team could bring a quirkyness and some proper grown up humour to our screens as well as serious news stories. If you want to look behind Paul’s facade have a look at everyhorizon.com/paul.html
    I just really hope Ten give this more of a chance than they did to George Negus. We loved his show – completely different to the trashy ACA and TT, and they axed it!

3. Rachel Batta January 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm -

who & who?

4. Adam January 25, 2012 at 9:43 am -

ABC morning news for me

5. Peter January 25, 2012 at 7:04 am -

Defending Carrie “Blackmore”. Funny.
    Anyway there doesn’t appear to be enough points of diiference at this early stage to differentiate this new breakfast offering from its more established (and very lame) commercial rivals.
    Three people sitting around on a couch, the earnest celebrity doctor, the journo and the wacky kiwi chatting about the latest youtube sensation and then crossing to the news desk and the hot weather chick. Seems very 80s.

6. Goonies January 24, 2012 at 11:32 pm -

Yes I know, it was sarcasm.

7. Oztvheritage(YouTube channel) January 24, 2012 at 10:57 pm -

@ goonies. Hey Just thought you might want to know. Blackmore does have a journalistic background. She read news on nova in Melbourne before moving to tv on rove.

8. Goonies January 24, 2012 at 8:12 pm -

I’ll stick with Virginia & the ABC thanks.

Who cares about her quals. Carrie Bickmore is a ‘journalist’ nuff said!

9. Matt January 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm -

Wasn’t a huge fan of Kathryn’s until she did The Project. She looks very comfortable in a role that isn’t just about reading the news.

10. JB January 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm -

Andrew Rochford and Kathryn Robinson are good picks. Shame they’ve picked Paul Henry, and for that reason I won’t be watching. I’ll stick to ABC News Breakfast. Typical Ten, could have had something good, and they shoot themselves in the foot by casting the idiot from NZ.

11. samo January 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm -

All TEN have to do its dont dumb it down like Today have and they will get veiwers- we want Breakfast news not dribble like kids acting stupid…moronic T signs , most clicked on You tube …kids playing local sport , ben fordam……etc etc that today consantly have on…my 20 odd years of watching today is finished…and im now god forbid find myself watching sunrise !….

12. Julian January 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm -

Did Rochford and Robinson co-host an ep of the project over summer at some point?

13. Bec January 24, 2012 at 4:40 pm -

Hmm, vanilla beige – do we need another breakfast show? And Andrew Rochford has always been a bit too smarmy to me. Snore, Channel Ten, sorry.

14. Ryaneco January 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm -

Have been loving Kath Robinson on the project I hope when breakfast falls apart they give her a permanent gig on the project!

15. deedeedragons January 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm -

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. I’m sure Sunrise & Today are shaking in their boots.

16. Number1 January 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm -

Still don’t like the name “Breakfast”

17. steve sydney January 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm -

Oh and that Magdelena certainly isn’t just another pretty face. She sounds quite accomplished…

18. steve sydney January 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm -

Another commentator on this blog confirmed Kath Robinson 2-3 weeks ago as host. I believe they also said the show would air in March.

David, you should feel proud TV insiders are leaving reliable bits of info on your blog before it’s leaked to ‘official press’

19. Dave January 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm -

wow. the meteorologist presenting weather on tv has changed a lot since alan wilkie

20. Steve from Melbourne January 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm -

i really hope they do deliver on their promise of it (Breakfast) being a show that is different from what is on offer from the other networks.
    I reckon what would work is a cross between ABC News Breakfast and Today/Sunrise – so that presenters could offer their opinions on an issue rather than having to be diplomatic and sitting on the fence all of the time.

21. Lisa January 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm -

That Masters in Journalism is going to come in really handy on the Breakfast show I’m sure.

22. stuart January 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm -

David….have a look at this old article

news.com.au/entertainment/television/brekky-rumours-too-early-for-channel-10/story-e6frfmyi-1111117588591

23. John from Sunny Coast January 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm -

All these NZers on Tins brikky show. Hope they use subtitles.

24. Alex January 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm -

Point of difference. Ten have two blondes while the other two networks only have one each.

25. VD January 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm -

Wow, a weather girl who is a qualified meteorologist and knows a thing or two about weather. I think thats a first for commercial television.

26. tomothy January 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm -

I was thinking, if this show doesn’t work, perhaps they can use the NZ guy in a reboot of the panel show Beauty and the Beast as a new daytime option.

27. Tassie08 January 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm -

Less of a focus on news would be a great point of difference!

28. Jonno January 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm -

Yes, Magdalena Roze is clearly a blonde and very atttractive but from the pieces to camera I’ve seen when she filled in for Tim Bailey, she is a breathe of fresh air. Not only is she a wiz with the weather but she can adlib naturally and effortlessly, whatever topic she presents the weather around.

29. Maev....Sydney January 24, 2012 at 1:20 pm -

I am sure Kathryn will hold her own…hope Andrew is in the middle to seperate her from the NZ guy…..what a waste of her Masters degree….still does not make me want to watch….

30. SEDI January 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm -

I just cannot see this working. I like Kathryn and Magdalena as presenters but I can’t see this one taking off. Unless they revolutionise the market (without the horrendous format of The Project) it will be a dud.

Maybe make news every ‘quarter past/quarter to’ as a small point of difference to Seven and Nine?

31. Kev January 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm -

Channel 10 certainly has a thing for blondes.

32. Dodge January 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm -

A blonde, thin, white person on Australian TV? Get out!

33. abc January 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm -

Boring. No match for Mel or Lisa.

34. Chris R January 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm -

All I can say is… good luck.