Before the Game returning to TEN

By David Knox on February 9, 2012 / Filed Under News, Top Stories 14

It ended the year under a cloud, but panel show favourite Before The Game will remain on Network TEN.

The Roving Enterprises show will resume on March 24 in a regular 6.30pm timeslot, despite TEN no longer retaining AFL rights. It will air in Melbourne on TEN and in all other markets on ONE.

The entire team – Dave Hughes, Andrew Maher, Mick Molloy, Anthony ‘Lehmo’ Lehmann, Samantha
Lane and Ryan ‘Fitzy’ Fitzgerald – will return.

Panelist Dave Hughes told the Herald Sun, “People were all the time asking ‘is the show coming back?’. Once we knew the draw and that there was no live footy on at that time, there was no reason to not have the show back.”

David Mott recently told TV Tonight, “Certainly we want it to come back for Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. It’s a great brand and one we love. There’s life in it for TEN even though we don’t have the AFL. It’s a great show for Saturday night.”

Last month TV Tonight readers also voted the show their Favourite Sports show on the box.

14 Comments »

  1. Dexter February 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm -

    It would have to be shown earlier in WA as the AfL is shown at 6.30pm on 7 over here.

  2. David Knox February 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm -

    He is back, presumably doing both.

  3. Dave2796 February 9, 2012 at 11:34 pm -

    I thought Andrew Maher had signed with Fox Sports. Since he has being hosting the football/soccer magazine show Fox Sports FC.
    I assuming then he will not be returning to Before the Game???

  4. Richo Man February 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm -

    P.S Hope Andy doesn’t go with the Clarke Kent specs again this year !!

  5. Richo Man February 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm -

    Smart move by seven to kick their Saturday night coverage off at 6.30pm. Now we have to wrestle with which one to watch.

  6. lin February 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm -

    Great news – my fave footy show.

  7. Jennome February 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm -

    Oh no, not more Dave Hughes. Remind me to give it a miss. Talk about over-exposed.

  8. John Jackson February 9, 2012 at 2:44 pm -

    Just Melbourne on 10? What will the rest of Australia see at 6.30 then?

  9. Carringbush February 9, 2012 at 1:56 pm -

    I was never a fan mainly because of the dominance of Carlton supporters (Lane, Mahar, Hughes) always taking the piss out of Collingwood but must admit to taking a shine to it now. Mick Molloy is the key. If he’s having an off night the show suffers.

  10. catherine February 9, 2012 at 1:26 pm -

    Great decision. It wouldnt work on 7 because some of the panel members are contracted to 10.

    Even if 7 put somehting up against it I will still be watching this show. Best ever.

  11. JB February 9, 2012 at 10:03 am -

    Hooray. But “it will air in Melbourne on TEN and in all other markets on ONE.” Why not in Adelaide and Perth on Ten as well?

  12. JamesJ February 9, 2012 at 9:56 am -

    So… why wouldnt you put it on TEN in Adelaide and Perth?

  13. Maverick February 9, 2012 at 9:02 am -

    Great news that the show is coming back but I think it would have worked better on Seven.

    Saturday afternoon game, then News, then Before the Game, then Saturday night game would have been the perfect lineup for Seven.

    It’ll be interesting to see if Seven try a new footy show to fill the gap. They haven’t had any success with footy shows in the past but this might be the perfect opportunity to find one that works.

  14. Mr. J February 9, 2012 at 7:58 am -

    Of course it is, why would it ever not? I think they have really dragged this out just to score some headlines, which it has

Leave A Response »

You must be logged in to post a comment.