Hootabelle joins Giggle and Hoot

By David Knox on February 14, 2012 / Filed Under News 7

Yesterday Australian pre-schoolers were waiting with bated breath to learn the identity of ABC4Kids’ newest addition to Giggle and Hoot.

So anticipated was the identity of the new owl character, that all imagery was being kept under media embargo.

All this for an owl from the Purple Button Tree, Hootabelle.

Voiced and operated by actress Abi Tucker (Play School, McLeod’s Daughters), Hootabelle is believed to have met Hoot one very cloudy night when Hoot was on his Night Watch flight.

Early reports indicate it was so dark that Hoot couldn’t see where he was going and accidently bumped into Hootabelle.

After that Hootabelle started her Star Patrol to help Hoot see where he’s flying. Each night she flies into the sky to make sure all the stars are twinkling. She even twinklifies those pesky shooting stars which fly really fast.

Hoot and Giggle can be seen 6pm weeknights on ABC2.

1. becm February 14, 2012 at 1:12 pm -

Highly anticipated in our house! Although I misheard, thought her name was Bluebelle! Is Abi Tucker Earth Girl also? Sounds similiar.

2. ClownDog February 14, 2012 at 11:45 am -

This wasn’t news to me. My 3 year old told me all about it when I got home from work yesterday.

3. DaThomster February 14, 2012 at 11:42 am -

Heh, I should have added that I reckon I’d want to shoot something after TWO years of the same stuff… ONE for us has me considering a firearms license.

4. DaThomster February 14, 2012 at 11:39 am -

@ricoz I’m a bit twisted too, and after I posted that I thought… hmm, hope that wasn’t someone intelligent making a subtle pun or some such :-)

You’re not wrong about the repeated segments, we know many of them word for word, worst luck for us, but as our early childhood specialist said, the repetition and knowing what’s coming is exactly what the kids want and need at that age *sigh*

5. ricoz February 14, 2012 at 10:58 am -

@DaThomster sorry it’s just my dry sense of sarcastic humor. My toddlers were quite excited when they saw a new puppet. Mainly because they’ve show the same segments for the last 2 years. About time they had an update.

6. DaThomster February 14, 2012 at 10:13 am -

Awesome, our 12 month old idolises Hoot and Jimmy Giggle, can never hurt to add another one to the brood!

@ricoz Not sure what you mean, it’s a show aimed at toddlers, adding another puppet can rarely be a bad thing (nor can anything done by Abi Tucker for that matter *snigger*)!

7. ricoz February 14, 2012 at 9:15 am -

I wonder if this is a case of pre-school kids TV jumping the shark?